View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 8:27 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
In this particular neighbourhood though, un-affordable housing perpetuates the stereotypes of gentrification: that developers are in it for themselves and not the community, that the poor will be pushed out of their own neighbourhood, that an "us-against-them" mentality is appropriate. If it weren't for this attitude, I think the St. Pat's-Alexandra case would have turned out very differently. When I talk about affordable housing I don't necessarily mean the 30% of income formula or however it's determined, I just mean housing that the average person would be able to afford, rather than luxury condos.
Nobody is being pushed out for the Q Lofts. They are demolishing an empty warehouse. The developers probably are in it mostly for themselves. They work to make a profit, and maybe because they enjoy building housing for people. Do people ask the baggers at Sobeys if they are "in it for the community"? That whole concept is ludicrous.

St. Pat's-A also would have turned out very differently had the city not instituted a silly policy back in 2000. The correct solution there was to get rid of it, as they have done.