View Single Post
  #9  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 2:33 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post
They're talking about building a parkade at RGH again. This time I think they will actually do it. Interestingly (at least to me) it was the question of where to put a helicopter landing pad that led to this. Although, in addition to losing a large number of parking spaces during construction, I don't know where they plan to land the helicopters in the mean time? According to this article it will cost around $30 million to build a parkade and parking generates $3.5 million per year in the RQHR (it says they don't have specific numbers for RGH/Pasqua, but I'm thinking 99% of this comes from those two facilities...I believe parking is mostly free at Wascana and I can't see charging for parking in the rural facilities). Basically it would be paid for in under 10 years. They're also planning for staff shuttles between facilities (so if I work at Wascana and have a meeting at RGH I can just hop on the shuttle) and a park and ride system.
There is no way a 30 million parking garage will pay for itself. If it would, they could just have the private sector build it. You are forgetting the considerable operating costs of a parkade including 24/365 staffing, security, lighting, power, cleaning, repairs, depreciation, interest, etc. I am not sure if they would have pay grants in lieu of taxes to the City as a commercial part of the hopsital (this would be true for the Robins Donuts, for example). I suppose the land is "free". Also no more than 1/2 of the $3.5 million would be from RGH