View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 3:04 AM
Honored Member

I exported a terrain map of Shannon Park from the Google SketchUp program. I also posted the identical terrain map in shaded mode in order to show a better contrast (below). Shannon Park appears to be in a bit of a gully, and is protected on the north/northwest side by the elevated bridge approach. It is also protected on the east/southeast side by elevated terrain.

I also looked up a reference to the prevailing winds for Nova Scotia which states: (source: http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/nature/nhns/t5/t5-2.pdf)

Quote:
W I N D S
Winds are strongest in the colder months and blow
most frequently from the west of northwest as the
cold arctic air moves in. In the summer, winds from
the southeast or south predominate.
PS: Can anyone provide more detailed information on the prevailing winds throughout the summer/fall months? (a monthly graph of wind data would be great)

I think that if there is a clear understanding of the wind patterns at the Shannon Park location during the summer and fall months, then the stadium architects could design the stadium so that it has shelter from the prevailing winds. For example, instead of having the stadium open towards the harbour (facing the southern prevailing winds during the summer), have it closed on the southern side to shelter spectators from southeast and southern winds. In addition, a dirt berm and trees would provide a good wind break from the prevailing southern winds.

I prefer a location as close to the urban core as possible. So I personally prefer Shannon Park (unless an even more central location is available).

Last edited by fenwick16; Sep 20, 2011 at 10:14 AM.