View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 6:55 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I've got a piece of property I think it could fit on... I'm thinking of doing a traditional brick facade for the first four floors and the set back portion would be a glass structure that rises 3-4 more floors

What you guys think of that?
The brick should not go any higher than the second story. Doing a "contextual" base like that also reflects the difference in usage on the interior: brick covering the lobby/common spaces, with glass on the upper stories. If you extend the brick any higher, then you have some units behind a brick facade with small windows, and some units with lots of glass.

You may also find it cheaper to install 2 more floors of curtain wall than to install 2 more floors of masonry.

I'd also advise against making the brick portion too traditional in terms of cornices, arches, decorative stuff... Instead, you should go for a simple design that has a lot of patina/texture. Maybe use recycled bricks, or you could do the rusty cor-ten steel like in the photo shown. (At all costs, avoid using the oversized bricks that are popular nowadays)