View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 10:22 PM

Madrid and Marrakesh

My girlfriend (she deserves credit for most of these photos-- at least the good ones) and I recently visited Madrid and Marrakesh from May 21 - 30. Madrid is lively city with museums, an extensive metro system, nightlife, inviting plazas and public spaces, and plenty of historic buildings. We stayed in a hotel right off of Gran Via, near many of the attractions and a close walk to several metro stations.

We went to Marrakesh from May 23 - 27. We stayed at Riad Jardin des Reves (http://www.riad-jardindesreves.com/), a beautifully restored traditional riad within the walls of the medinia. This was a quiet, clean, and safe retreat within the chaotic streets and souks of Marrakesh.

When we returned to Madrid, we took a day trip to Toledo. Toledo is a beautiful, stunningly scenic, walled city that was formerly a capital of Spain centuries ago. Toledo has ancient bridges from the Roman era, a castle, and the el Greco museum.

Overall, we had an excellent trip. Spain is a great country and I would move there tomorrow if I had the opportunity. Morocco was fascinating but perhaps a little too exotic for my girlfriend.

Pura vida!

On to Morocco.

It took all our effort not to get run over by these motor-scooters on the narrow streets inside the medina.

I suppose the donkey carts are a pretty sustainable form of transportation!

We took a tour of one of Marrakesh's tanneries. This was the only time we were hustled/scammed in Morocco.

Apparently, pigeon shit is what makes the leather soft-- you learn something every day.

Entrance to the Riad Jardin des Reves

Pool at our riad.

Jamaa el-Fna square. This square was wild. There were henna painters, snake charmers, people with monkeys trying to get tourists to get their photos taken, and many other sights.

Street-meat Marrakesh style. We at these food vendors every night while we were in Morocco. Dinner for two cost less than $10 US.

"I like to move it, move it"

Yves Saint Laurent's garden in Marrakesh

Our buddy, Mr. Turtle

Dyer's market

Saadian tombs, dating from the late 16th century.

Back to Spain!

On a train in Spain

The US needs to get it together and invest in high speed rail, like these AVE trains.

Bienvenido a Toledo

Toledo's stunningly beautiful train station.

Last edited by 202_Cyclist; Jun 3, 2011 at 1:44 AM.