View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 1:53 AM

Save the Shotguns! (Or is it Pistols?)

As seen on several blogs, new street signs are appearing downtown, starting at ground zero of Los Angeles addresses:

forums.signaltraffic.com

forums.signaltraffic.com
Time flies: I didn't realize that the current blue trapezoidal sign was first used in 1985, but I do remember on its introduction lamenting the loss of what
to me are the iconic "shotguns", which I've also seen referred to as "pistols". (Once upon a time, both NYC and LA seemed to have great continuity in
municipal signage--now it seems to be a race to see who can have the greatest variety of street signs.) Perhaps the new signs with the city seal will
remain confined to downtown, but it still seems a little odd to introduce yet another design, especially with so many shotguns still in place--NOT that
I'm complaining about that! Anyway, it seems I needn't really have worried about the passing of the 'guns, since a casual cruise around town, from
Boyle Heights to Pacific Palisades, reveals that, 26 years later, plenty of them, for whatever reason, are still in place--often, oddly, with newer signs
on the same corner:

Google Street View

Google Street View

Google Street View

Google Street View

Google Street View

Google Street View

Google Street View

Google Street View

Google Street View

forums.signaltraffic.com

forums.signaltraffic.com