View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 2:36 PM

Bikes / Rampart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I really hope not. Putting a bike lane next to angular parking is a huge safety hazard - drivers pulling out can't see approaching bikes, because their mirrors are pointed diagonally.

That is, unless the angular parking goes on the left side of the travel lane (i.e. in the neutral ground, sorta like Harrison in Lakeview).

You could also put the bike lane between the parking and the sidewalk - called a "cycle track" or "buffered bike lane". If the city builds one of these, they'll really be on the cutting edge... so far, only a handful of cities in the US have them, and most of those are hippie-liberal college towns like Boulder and Tucson.
Can't put the parking on the neutral ground side because the streetcar will be running in that lane. I don't see how /why they would narrow Rampart to one lane which would also have the streetcar on it. Imagine how much hell it would be to be stuck behind the damned thing as it's picking up / dropping off 50 people at every stop.

That "cycle track" thing sounds freaaaaaaking awesome though. No concerns about getting hit by a car but you'd have to be careful with pedestrians not paying attention to cross from the sidewalk to their parked cars.

Quick story: My friend was leaving downtown on magazine during rush hour (in a car) and the woman in front of her was yelling and cursing at a cyclist, who was IN THE BIKE LANE, about how the cyclist needs to get the hell out of there, he's blocking traffic, yadda yadda.

Pretty nuts if you ask me...she was so bewildered by it she called me to tell me. That was just a few months ago.