View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 5:58 PM

i'm having quite the time reading through the posts over at the offbunkerhill google page.

i did want to post some photos that i found after reading Theodore Barrow's postabout the Emil Jean Kosa painting depicting city hall as viewed from bunker hill, showing both the old times building and the state building at the same time

this 1929 photo is the exact same view point of the painting

Source: LAPL

another image taken in 1929 showing the times building from a similar location

Source: USC Digital Archive

two images of the construction of the state building where the old times building is visible

1931 image of the state building under construction showing how it shared the same site with the times building

1931 image looking north on broadway between 1st and 2nd streets showing the construction of the new times building, as well as the old times building and the state building

1930 images of the groundbreaking ceremony of the state building showing it's proximity to the old times building

1935 image of the state building with quite the shadow being cast on it by city hall. the exact hill street spot where the perspective of the Kosa painting was painted from is nicely seen in this photograph