View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
I believe community council changed "as of right" heights after St James Place development agreement was finalized.

This changed the "as of right" height to just 35 feet, down from 70 feet, which is basically the height of the proposal herein. Shame, density is very much needed in the core and this is just causing more of it to leave.
I don't think the as of right height height was changed. This may have been a case of something built way before the Peninsula Bylaw and then it was made non-conforming.

The R-2 zone height has always been 35', mainly because it's residential - but churches have always been allowed to occur in both R-1 and R-2 zones. I suspect (given the church's age) that the church came before the Bylaw and a decision was made by the City of Halifax to simply make it non-conforming in height. I'd guess that back then they didn't think inner city churches were going to disappear like they have been, which would've been a reasonable position at the time (which would've been late 70's?).