View Single Post
Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Ben McCrea deserves a civic award. He did the Founders Square development and I think he also redeveloped Historic Properties.

Do people in the Halifax area really want a bunch of dilapidated buildings in the city. Where do you think all these buildings came from in the first place. They didn't just spring up out of the ground (even the old ones were built by developers). I don't see people like Phil Pacey going out and raising money and getting building permits to preserve old buildings. (This might be a far better use of the Heritage Trust's money instead of spending it on lawyers.)

At one time development was able to proceed in the Halifax area; when will these anti-development people catch up with the 21th century (maybe they should start by catching up to the 20th century). Does Halifax have to crumble to the ground before these people will wise up? Why must Halifax be stuck in the 1800's?
Fenwick, my statement was in response to the question: "Imagine if there was a developer with the same amount of sway Pacey had..."
Although Mr. Pacey is able to speak out about heritage, it is the developers that have the influence. Very rarely are old buildings saved (even the facades in most cases) in Halifax. It is good that someone speaks out about heritage. The TD plan is to save the facade of the Macara-Barnstead Building
and recreate the facade of the Kelly building. That's good. If someone wasn't speaking out about heritage then no effort would be made to maintain some aspects of heritage. There is a need for balance, not only in construction, but also in dialogue. Doesn't seem unreasonable.