View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
One problem with electric trolley buses are the overhead power lines which look very unattractive in a city. Also they are confined to a specific path whereas buses aren't. Halifax has introduced new hybrid buses which are far more economical and cleaner than the old diesel buses. I don't see any advantage to any system that shares the road with cars such as streetcars. Living in the Toronto area, I have to navigate the streetcar tracks whenever I go downtown and it is a nightmare for people in cars. Also, sharing the road with a streetcar is like sharing the road with a heavy train (it is intimidating when driving a car). Again, I really think that buses are superior, especially the new hybrid buses.

Living in the Toronto area, I am somewhat spoiled as far as transit goes. In my opinion, other than a subway or GO-like rail transit system, which have their own right of way, the new Halifax hybrid buses seem superior to both trolley cars and streetcars.

PS: If Halifax had of kept its streetcar system from the early 1900's then it would be a great tourist attraction like the San Francisco system is. However, the modern Toronto system doesn't even have that going for it. I honestly don't know why Toronto continues to operate them.
Your comments are right on the money, Fenwick. Urban trolleys sound romantic, but not very practical. The caveat is an historical line that doubles as a tourist attraction/ city ambiance, or perhaps a funicular line on a mountainous route. Hybrid or hydrogen buses and a BRT system make much more sense for a city the size and density of Halifax.