View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 2:18 PM

I would like to point out the Stats Canada population figures do not tell the whole story. Remember that the population only shows permanent residences.
During the summer those figures will quadruple or more. The developers of these projects must analyze the figures and make a decision based on the those figures. And after seeing the frenzy this Christmas, I can say that if you don't have a shop open here, you are missing out because every store that I was in was packed with shoppers from early Nov til Boxing Day. So there must be some confidence in the economy here, on and off season.

As for the downtown, with 40,000+ people coming into the Charlottetown downtown and area from cruise ship traffic this summer, I believe they can hold their own. New hotels, new condos/apartments are solidifying a stronger population in the downtown and there are efforts to move this along. So Charlottetown is taking an aggressive attempt to make sure the downtown is alive and that shopping variety is available to all the citizens of the CMA and the island.
Why just across the bridge in Stratford, it's recognized as one of the fastest growing towns in Canada. The population is pushing 8000, if it hasn't already.
By 2020 it might surpass Summerside (15000) in population. New subdivisions, not homes, are popping up everywhere, even in the dead of winter. You really have to see it. You'd think they struck oil over here!

As MonctonRad said, changes are on the move, and Charlottetown is catching up quickly with other Maritime cities.
Bring her on!!