View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 1:02 PM

Montague mayor expects building boom to continue

The Guardian

MONTAGUE — Mayor Richard Collins expects the building boom in eastern P.E.I.’s largest town will continue in 2010 with an estimated $4 million-plus in construction.
Collin said he anticipates the arrival of a new Canadian Tire store valued at roughly $2.4 million and an estimated $2-million expansion to the intermediate high school.
“I expect Canadian Tire will be starting work early in the new year to get off to a good start,” he said in an interview with The Guardian.
“I think they’re getting ready to roll.”
Canadian Tire’s building permit was put on hold last year when the economic recession took hold and delayed plans.
The provisional building permit runs out soon and Collins expects construction starts will begin next to the Superstore and possibly include a Mark’s Work Wearhouse outlet.
Collins said the town will also be looking forward to the “immediate” expansion of the intermediate school with the relocation of Montague Regional High School to the edge of town.
“A new piece will be added to the intermediate school on
property formerly occupied by the old Midtown Motel,” he confirmed.
The intermediate school on Sackville Street will gain an industrial arts and music centre expansion this year as part of the relocation package.
The construction projects follow on the heels of the completion of the new regional high school, the new provincial Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development building and a new Cox and Palmer law office on the waterfront.