View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 9:14 PM

Birds Hitting Skyscraper Windows

How can skyscraper windows be made more bird safe? I read somewhere that up to 200 birds can collide with a single skyscraper in one year. How can windows be made more bird-friendly without them being fritted or having stickers and stuff? I read that the Chicago Spire building is going to have ornithologically-sensitive glass to protect migratory birds. What exactly does that mean? Is there something that can be put in the glass that we can't see but birds can? Now you are probably thinking, "why not just have fewer windows?" Well, the One Bryant Park skyscraper in NYC is supposed to be one of the greenest in the world. It has a full glass facade and the glass is a special glass that lets light in but keeps heat out in order to minimize electricity use as much as possible. It seems like the glass is necessary. So how can a skyscraper be green and bird-friendly? I've seen some renderings of skyscrapers by eco-architect Ken Yeang that are basically supposed to "mesh" with nature in that they will be benign and will reuse everything. There are plants and trees all over the buildings. Wouldn't that increase the likelihood of bird collisions? Also, what about see-through glass? Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?