View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 9:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I can't possibly believe that it's EASIER for the city to force hundreds of businesses out of Willets Point than it is to strike a deal with the Mets where the parking lots become garages and the rest of the land gets developed.

The other irritating point here is the actions of the MTA, which has been hoarding land here and using it extremely unproductively. I really don't see why they need a massive tract of land along Flushing Creek in order to add one station onto the line. I'm really hoping that they intend to use it as a replacement for Corona Yard and not an expansion, so that the current site can be redeveloped later.
The area where the Shea Parking stands would become more parkland before it was developed into anything, and Willets Point would still have to be integrated into the rest of the City. We're talking about New York, not some third world country where it's totally acceptable for a large tract like Willets Point. It's really a wonder it's been allowed to exists as is for so long, much like Manhattan's west side, but in a far more degraded state.

As far as the MTA I doubt the MTA will do much with it's portion, which in itself is of little use regarding the development of the rest of Willets Point.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.