View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 8:27 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I believe TransLink is complete with the signage changes. Dkaz posted one photo earlier, but here is more. I'm surprised they actually "changed" the overhead signs: I thought TransLink would be inconsistent, as usual, and leave things half complete. Notice the quotes with change... Anyways:

Photography by Deasine - Hosted on Picasa Web Albums - Creative Commons Protected

Photography by Deasine - Hosted on Picasa Web Albums - Creative Commons Protected

Let's stop here. With the first photo, you can see they didn't change one portion of the sign, the one with the elevator as it uses the old Millennium Line elevator icon. Not a big deal, but they should've done the job completely.

My main issue is that if you compare the two photos, Platform 1 & 2 indicates the terminus stations (aside from Columbia) whereas Platform 3 & 4 indicates the cities. Huge inconsistency and could be confusing. To me, it should always be the terminus station.

The third thing is that "Broadway" exit is actually "E. Broadway." You can see in the second picture, the sign behind it even says "E. Broadway." Moving on...

The new signs are incredibly glossy, huge reflection which made it really hard to take photos. They are, simply stickers, and they've stuck it over the old signs, as you can see outlines of the icons before. They've also didn't go back and indicate the important signs, like the way out of the station, replacing those with a Platform # sign. I'm not sure how useful is that to a person on the train: why would they want to know what platform they are on? They only thing they didn't replace was the Waterfront/King George signs, which don't necessarily need replacing anyway. The main issue is that when passengers follow those signs, they wouldn't know where to go next since the Platform 3 & 4 signs indicate the cities rather than the stations... Le sigh.

Like really, it doesn't take a professional to do this, it's simply logic. Or then again, maybe I'm just a professional

Of course, with TransLink, not everything is done:

The good news is that this is the only sign that hasn't been replaced. All signs on Platform 2 are replaced.

Can you guys even see the pictures? I was too lazy to edit the image URL so I hope you guys can see it.

Last edited by deasine; Aug 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM.