Thread: Hamilton Media
View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
Now, that's pretty narrow-minded. You mean you'd prefer all media to be run on advertiser driven station, and as such position their news/reporting based on not offending current or prospective advertising clients?

BTW, they had a segment on Saturday morning's Fresh Air highlighting day trips to Hamilton.
I'd be willing to accept that yes, although with the caveat that sites like this one and raisethehammer are far better suited than at disseminating local Hamilton information than anything that comes under the aegis of the CRTC.

With regards to a single Fresh Air segment, I would say perhaps that you're a bit of a cheap date with the portion of your Hamilton tax dollars that go to the CBC and what one ends getting back from it. Sorry if it sounds like I'm being a jerk, but I've listened and watched the CBC enough to know that we rarely get mentioned (and we're certainly not the only community that gets ignored).

I should say that I don't really have a huge hate on for the CBC, but lately I've been thinking that strong centralized goverments both provincially and federally haven't really served Hamilton's interests as a non-capital city over the past few decades. With large government revenues, inevitably a huge chunk ends up being recycled in Toronto and Ottawa, benefitting those communities with public sector jobs, scads of lawyers and on and on. The US used to be better in this regard, but the massive military and government spending of late (and really since Reagan) has been fueling massive growth in the DC region. Generally now when I hear someone in the media extolling strong centralized governments in Canada I figure it is probably someone who lives in the Glebe.