View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Surprised people aren't talking about the appearance of the wind turbines more. They would be really ugly even if they aren't that high. I don't see this going anywhere with the turbines. The rest could be interesting, the added boat slips would be popular. But I don't see any use for it in the winter. Nobody will go out there when the cold wind is blowing in.
Not really, because wind turbines can take many forms. The AeroTurbine developed by UIC Proffessor Bill Becker for example is about the size of an oil drum, and can be mounted right onto a building with a low profile. See Jahn's new SRO at Clybourn and Divsion which has them placed atop the building.

I am 100% in favor of this concept should there ever be a push to make it a reality. Marinas are a huge revenue generator for the park district and could fund some of the bonds used to pay for the eco bridge. Afterwords, there would be years of revenue for the park district, which would be funneled into parks city wide as the marinas provide for currently. It would also make the lake more accessable to boaters, as there is a long waiting list for slips; and we could even dedicate some of it for transiet boaters comming from say Toronto to spend a week in our city. Plus the new land would really offer a get away point for dwellers of downtown for peacful respite, right now Northerly Island serves that function, but this would be better, and still closer to everything. The bridge would also provide an oportunity for those who can't afford a boat to get out into the lake and enjoy the view.

Last edited by Chicago Shawn; Jun 16, 2008 at 8:55 PM.