View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 22, 2005, 2:44 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekfrmSA

Downtown SA is quite different from just 4 years ago.

I lived there back in 1994, '95 and part of '96. I think the last time that I've been back to visit was in 2001 or 2002. I met a friend for Fiesta who was born and raised in SA who now lives in Phoenix.

I didn't notice that much difference Downtown the last time I was there, except for a few new small hotels. The 'night life' was pretty slow when I lived there and hadn't changed noticeably the last time I was back. Sixth street in Austin was usually where everyone went for a "night on the town" and my roommate bolted for Austin nearly every weekend, so I usually just stayed in SA and explored the area.

Most of the energy and vibrancy in downtown was limited to the River Cener Mall and the Riverwalk and immediately around the Alamo shrine. But if you ventured a block or two away from those environs, the energy level dropped off pretty quickly.

The Riverwalk is beautiful and many cities have tried to copy it without much success. SA has also positioned itself well as the family entertainment destination for South Texas, with Six Flags Fiesta Texas and Sea World.

Like I've said though, it's still my overall favorite city in Texas and arguably one of my top five in the U.S. (despite my joking around with Paul in SA Texas (See Tom Benson moving Saints to SA thread..... )

But anyway SA is a beautiful city with good people living there. I really enjoyed my time there and I enjoy reading about all of the exciting proposals for SA.

But I'm getting (so I apologize to my fellow Sac forumers).

Last edited by urban_encounter; Sep 22, 2005 at 11:11 PM.