Thread: VIA Rail
View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2024, 6:18 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
If Go was to be a "user" of the tracks leading into Toronto and the Montreal equivalent to became a user of the infrastructure near Montreal that may make it hard for the Conservatives to back out of it. But I don't think that is part of the plan.
GO is more than a user -- they've acquired much of their network. I believe the only parts they do not own are at the western end of the Lakeshore corridor through to Niagara Falls (CN's freight operation relies on it), I think also the tail end of the Kitchener corridor, and CP still owns the one to Milton. There may be other sections. On the Lakeshore East line there were dedicated tracks for GO Trains built next to the existing subdivision through Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, and Oshawa.

However, there is freight traffic allowed on parts of the Lakeshore corridor (e.g., to access a rail yard and the Ford plant in Oakville, and a refinery and cement facility in Mississauga) so there is still the occasional freight delay. It's much better than it used to be though before GO's purchase (actually Metrolinx is the owner).

Last edited by ScreamingViking; May 10, 2024 at 10:38 PM.