View Single Post
Old Posted May 1, 2024, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Boston is unreal. They recently had a murder, so they're up to the mindblowing number of 3! They also have an ultra-lefty SJW type as mayor.

Granted, I don't think they're gonna end up with 6-7 murders this year. There will be some summer carnage. A lot of the colder cities have big summer spikes. But the Boston numbers demolish the tough law-and-order narrative. They might have the most liberal big city mayor in America.
Boston has small city limits and is almost entirely gentrified. It's basically the same situation as San Francisco, which also has had very low homicide rates for quite a while. I'm guessing Boston has other issues, like SF has with property crimes, but it's been a pretty safe city for a long time.

If you're claiming that DC is almost entirely gentrified, I don't know how you wouldn't claim the same for Boston. DC's entire SE quadrant, and a good portion of NE is still very rough and not gentrified. Even San Francisco has some areas that are still rough and not heavily gentrified. The Hunter's Point/Bayview area is still home to a fair amount of public housing and has issues with gangs and crime, and of course there's the Tenderloin which is Skid Row North and rife with crime, too. Still, overall, Boston and SF are about the safest big cities in America by a long shot.