View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 6:47 PM
cities|transit|croissants

A white squirrel +24 more pix from Asheville, Hendersonville, Winston-Salem, Raleigh

I was in North Carolina a couple weeks ago, with stops in Asheville, Hendersonville, and Winston-Salem. Enjoy this short thread with a few photos of each!

Asheville:

Imagine you're deep in the hills of Appalachia, seemingly the middle of nowhere, when you come around a random highway curve to the surprise of modern towers poking out of a hidden valley. Yeah, Asheville is pretty great.

Really solid urbanism. Charlotte & Raleigh should be so lucky.

Hendersonville:

If Asheville's a small city, nearby Hendersonville is more of a big town. But it's a nice one, with a good walkable main street and a stately courthouse.

I'm a big fan of the storefront converted into nice public restrooms. A+

Now about that promised white squirrel: Thanks to a quirk of evolutionary genetics, western North Carolina has a substantial population of white squirrels. They're not albinos like I occasionally see in DC, but simply a white color variation on the common grey squirrel of the eastern US. And where I might see an albino in DC once every 5 years, Hendersonvillians see these white ones weekly at least.

Keep your eyes open and you'll spot one.

Winston-Salem:

I very regularly travel to Winston-Salem, exactly every five years. I didn't take many photos this time, but here y'are.

Bye! Thanks for looking!