View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 3:51 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
wait, patios don't have to be roped off any more? I swear I remember seeing closed in "beer gardens" at large events still as recently as last summer. Maybe I'm wrong.

Beer Gardens at events are a bit different I think. You now have the option to license the entire event so that alcohol can be consumed freely throughout but a lot of organizers choose not to do so for whatever reason (I assume liability?). I believe street festivals also have this option as I've seen it at a craft beer festival in Toronto's East End that closed down a few blocks of Eastern Ave. It's a bit weird at most street festivals now where you have a beer garden but bars and restaurants are also just selling cans and premade cocktails to-go on the street. Restaurant patios no longer need strict delineation that used to be required though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Young people drinking less is interesting. It's certainly more expensive but I wonder if fewer people having the full university/residency experience and those that do being under age (in Ontario) during their first year has any impact. It's a Toronto centic point of view. Everyone else from Southern Ontario and the outer 905 in my residence were lushes by 15.
It's definitely noticeable that younger people are drinking less. However I was a bit excited to see that one of my in-laws who went to Queen's this year seemed to have a similar experience to my time in residence. Also my local bar being invaded by people in their early 20s on the weekend before St. Paddy's (normally the crowd is 30s/40s).