View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 6:38 PM

First time back to the UCI track racing event in Milton since the inaugural year. I found myself watching the goings-on in the infield more than the racing itself.

Some observations:

- So many countries represented, including several of which don't have indoor velodromes. And if they do, it might be some shabby one with half the banking. Or their riders practice on a much flatter outdoor one. Of course, I'm sure many riders made the move to countries that have proper ones and practice there. Or they were born and raised in a place with one but represent the country their parents came from.

- Of course, the one guy there with a cowboy hat was staff from the US team. I would actually like to see someone ride a racing bike with a cowboy hat.

- When they are riding their bike stationary on those rollers, some of them don't hold onto something, they can just balance. Some even can sit up, ride and balance on those. Impressive.

- Quite a few riders from unexecpted countries who did well. Two from Trinidad and Tobago and they scored top 10 or so in the 40 man qualifying heat I saw. The second fastest was from Suriname. Of course, those guys could be from the US or Canada or Netherlands for the latter.

- Saw a friendly conversation between riders and a coach from South Africa, Laos, Algeria and Suriname. Cool to see. Obviously, were probably speaking English. The Laoatian girl was probably half Laotian and raised somewhere English speaking. Coach looked like he could be English. And the Suriname girl could be Dutch and I believe most Dutch speak English.

- Looking up close at these racing bikes, I can't imagine sitting on one of those seats for more than 5 minutes.

- I would have liked to see those motor bikes used on the track. Better yet, I would like to ride one myself up to the top to the bank, though I'd probably be too scared to go up there. I tried riding this track in one of their novice sessions and I made it like 1/3 up on the steep ends.

- VELOLAW. That's pretty niche. I get the lawyer is a cycling saftely advocate but I wonder how much of his business is actually personal injury from cycling and if people injured from something else dismiss his firm.

- Curious to know why the two coaches standing behind their riders timing them have to stand in that sexual looking position. Was funny to see.

- I remember those Canada cycling uniforms with light blue from back in the day. But most Canada riders had red. I wonder why the difference. I saw that the Dutch also had differing uniforms.

- So many athletes, staff, journalists and administrators there. And fans from afar too. I wonder where they all stay. I already knew that Milton lacks hotels. Just went to google maps and it shows only three. Oakville and Burlington don't have many either. I guess a lot of them stay close to YYZ, Mississauga and Hamilton. Maybe KW. Regardless, it's going to be a trek for all three days of the competition and more for some people. I'm 20 minutes away. Maybe I should have advertised as an Air BNB to them. Much cheaper than a hotel.