View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmy2 View Post
I assume it's 503 above sea level because San Diego has some pretty strict FAA laws but if my some miracle it is the actual height, San Diego might be getting a new tallest building. I'm so glad at least one major city in California is having a ton of high-rises actively under construction!
Sadly no, the twin towers at 15th and J are already 520 feet above sea level. A good portion of that are a set of cranes on both towers though, the roofline is just a hair over 500 feet MSL iirc.

Was an unusual set of circumstances that lead to that actually. Previously the Symphony Towers had been the highest buildings in downtown, but midway through design the engineers in the twin towers discovered a fault line splitting the lot in two. They ended up having to shrink the ground footprint of both towers, and make them a tad bit taller.

That ended up pushing the height above sea level above Symphony, which meant they had to do some extra aviation safety studies, something the developers had been hoping to avoid. But all's well that ends well I suppose.