View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:00 PM
Give us a kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Good point. This is also true of much of the rest of Canada too though. Certainly Atlantic Canada but also rural and small town life in most of points west too. Is the boomers had it so much easier than millenials trope not a thing in French Canada? It certainly exists in Atlantic Canada even though Boomers mostly had to leave to find any job so houses being cheap wasn't relevant to most of them.
I don't think it's nearly as much of a thing, no. I agree with Acajack, there is still a general sense that for all our modern issues and troubles, Quebec today is still a more prosperous and overall better place to live (esp as a francophone) than that of, say, two generations ago.

The big worries tend to be more around language and culture, and these are just seen as the continuation of an age-old struggle. Folks who fall on the "French is getting weaker" side of the opinion lines usually don't believe there was a gilded time when everything was looking way up anyway (save maybe for a short window leading up to the referendums, but that was a while ago now), so there is less of a sense of loss I suppose.

Cost of living is definitely shaping up to be a major concern at least in Mtl, but our lag means it's still too fresh to really know how it ends. There is a possibility we will end up with the same magnitude of generational resentment, but directed at folks who bought in the 2010s instead. On the flip side, there is also a chance our economy (Canada wide, but of course affecting Quebec too) really turns to shit before prices here have time to reach the stratosphere, and we end up with a more equally distributed impoverishment.

Quebec could be the Uruguay to Canada's Argentina, in that sense. Not an entirely bad deal given the circumstances.