View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 7:48 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
I think places right up to an Ocean might have similar issues. Is there underground parking in Miami?

But
As in that Austin video It's quite also possible creating underground parking might be even more expensive in Texas.

The State famous for its lack of house basements because of their type of clay prevents it mostly in areas with that type of soil.

It's effect on towers below grade levels should be looked at. If I find an answer, I will submit it. But perhaps some members from the south already knows.
Basements are largely cost prohibitive in Austin and San Antonio due to limestone and flooding issues. Houston has a high water table, so they are quite rare there. The clay issue predominates in large parts of rural Texas, but in and around DFW it is actually quite common to see basements.

As you point out, the same dynamic is at play for parking garages in multifamily structures.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)