View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Programmatic Architecture / And mystery location.

"Igloo Ice Cream, Paper 'Tintype' Photo Los Angeles CA 1920s"

Newly listed on eBay..Asking $269.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
The Igloo was at the swc of Pico and Victoria. We've seen it here before.... Looks like it was taken just after school let out--LA High is not far to the north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
That was my first thought too GW, but here's a picture of the one on Pico.
Exterior view of The Igloo, an igloo-shaped ice cream parlor, located at 4302 W. Pico St. The igloo is attached to a huge "ice berg," on top of which sits a stranded ship. Two polar bear flank the entrance.
To me, the iceberg is a slightly different shape, and the ship is definitely different. Could e_r's picture be an earlier incarnation (the ship looks simpler) or another location? Maybe I'm imagining it, and maybe the original ship was stolen and replaced.

LAPL

I think the igloo in e_r's ebay picture was located at 4315 Beverly Blvd, close to the NE corner with N. Kingsley Dr.

John Withington operated two ice cream outlets - one at 4302 W. Pico and the other on Beverly Blvd.

rescarta.lapl.org

The Beverly Blvd. igloo fits with the buildings in close proximity that we see in the ebay picture.

I think this is it, center of red circle, on a 1928 aerial.

mil.library.ucsb.edu

The igloo on Pico stood isolated on it's corner for most if not all of it's time there. Seen here also in 1928.

mil.library.ucsb.edu