View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 1, 2023, 10:14 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Do you have a link to the announcement they're creating a sports entertainment district?

There's nothing on the actual site: https://www.slcpowerdistrict.com/

(to be fair, the site hasn't been updated in a while it seems - as it doesn't even mention their association with Big League Utah)

I am not saying you're wrong but the only mention I've heard about a sports district, with the potential of a NHL arena, came from the initial report breaking the news from Building Salt Lake. They mentioned a source that said the site could become home to a NHL team - but there hasn't been anything beyond that I've been able to find.

I know Ryan Smith was initially approached by Mayor Mendenhall and a few others who wanted to have him commit to bring a MLB team to Salt Lake but communication stopped on his end as he kind of just ghosted those associated with the project after an initial meeting. That's when the Millers came into the picture.

But even still, I would be disappointed if the Power District was the site of a NBA/NHL arena because it's still not downtown - and it would remove a central focus of downtown that could still be devastating.

Granted, I'd still like that over Layton or the Point of the Mountain but it would be a disappointment.
Totally disagree. I think North Temple is perfect. It really could be become an extension of downtown. Also there is a huge plot of land currently occupied by RVs across the street… years in the future that might offer a good opportunity to expand a sports complex for the NFL (it will be a while)… but we also have the fair park on North Temple… and the whole street is rapidly being redeveloped. I really do feel like it could just become an extension of downtown town… a sports and big events district. then that leaves space for skyscrapers in the central downtown district.

I actually think the Delta Center should be moved to this new sports district on North Temple, along with the baseball stadium, to be used for hockey and basketball. I think that the current Delta Center should be demolished and used for a salt Palace expansion. if we want to maintain big conventions like outdoor retailer, we really need to think about that. The parking lot block that is currently being used by larger conventions is not going to be there forever. The block where the current Delta Center sits offers a perfect opportunity for convention expansion and also connect it with Gateway entertainment district.

As for the current Delta Center, it’s definitely got to go. Even after its extensive remodel, it still considered a joke and outdated within the NBA. They should’ve just rebuilt it in the first place, and not wasted the money. Whether or not you think North Temple is perfect. It’s a hell of a lot better than moving it to West Jordan or Draper. I won’t be going to any games out there that’s for sure.