SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   NHL 2012-2013 thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200039)

Surrealplaces Feb 8, 2013 4:21 PM

I'm liking the way the Flames are playing this year. Yeah, their record doesn't show it, but they are more interesting to watch, and have actually dominated play more often than not......something you rarely saw in the last few seasons. Hartley's coaching seems to have made a difference with some of more skilled guys like Hudler, Backlund and Tanguay.

Pavlov Feb 8, 2013 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealplaces (Post 6006845)
I'm liking the way the Flames are playing this year. Yeah, their record doesn't show it, but they are more interesting to watch, and have actually dominated play more often than not......something you rarely saw in the last few seasons. Hartley's coaching seems to have made a difference with some of more skilled guys like Hudler, Backlund and Tanguay.

Among the top five teams in the league for most shots per game and fewest shots allowed per game. Just need the goaltending to be better and a little more luck around the net.

freeweed Feb 8, 2013 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surrealplaces (Post 6006845)
I'm liking the way the Flames are playing this year. Yeah, their record doesn't show it, but they are more interesting to watch, and have actually dominated play more often than not......something you rarely saw in the last few seasons. Hartley's coaching seems to have made a difference with some of more skilled guys like Hudler, Backlund and Tanguay.

I dunno, I still maintain that with fewer than 10 games played, a record is meaningless. Just look at all those years Toronto went 4-0 (or whatever) to start the season.

The Flames have been playing a pretty aggressive puck possession game practically all season and it shows, as Reesonov mentions. We're up there with the most shots, and fewest shots against. It's too bad our D is letting in QUALITY shots, but that can be addressed with practice.

It's way, WAY, WAAAAAY too early to hope for much, but... this team might end up surprising a lot of people. The raw talent has always been there, but the coaching has never let it come out. People forget just how good these guys are - on paper. We'll see if enough Sutter years have destroyed them.

Calgarian Feb 8, 2013 6:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeweed (Post 6007011)
I dunno, I still maintain that with fewer than 10 games played, a record is meaningless. Just look at all those years Toronto went 4-0 (or whatever) to start the season.

The Flames have been playing a pretty aggressive puck possession game practically all season and it shows, as Reesonov mentions. We're up there with the most shots, and fewest shots against. It's too bad our D is letting in QUALITY shots, but that can be addressed with practice.

It's way, WAY, WAAAAAY too early to hope for much, but... this team might end up surprising a lot of people. The raw talent has always been there, but the coaching has never let it come out. People forget just how good these guys are - on paper. We'll see if enough Sutter years have destroyed them.

It's definitely too early to judge the Flames. They have a new coaching staff and system, and have only played 8 games. I'm liking what I'm seeing on offense, but they are still pretty sloppy in their own end.

Razor Feb 8, 2013 6:20 PM

I just checked the standings and never mind Pittsburgh.

Chicago in the West are destroying.

Ayreonaut Feb 8, 2013 6:28 PM

If Glencross didn't have the worst luck in the NHL with regards to burying chances we'd have a couple more wins (Chicago for sure (he could've had a hattie if things bounced his way), last night in regulation). I can't imagine how frustrated he's gotta be getting! At least he got one in Detroit.

Calgarian Feb 8, 2013 6:32 PM

Glencross has 4 goals and 2 assists in 8 games, I think he's doing pretty well.

Ayreonaut Feb 8, 2013 6:38 PM

Yeah, but how many posts? And against Chicago he had more close calls than I've ever seen a player get in a game without scoring. It was unreal.

Pavlov Feb 8, 2013 6:46 PM

If there was any justice in this world, Calgary would have beaten Chicago 8-1 that night.

freeweed Feb 8, 2013 6:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgarian (Post 6007028)
It's definitely too early to judge the Flames. They have a new coaching staff and system, and have only played 8 games. I'm liking what I'm seeing on offense, but they are still pretty sloppy in their own end.

It's stuff like this why I have no problem judging this early. :haha:

The_Architect Feb 8, 2013 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeweed (Post 6007109)

An overzealous article written by some guy on a website I've never even heard of? :sly:

He's using comic sans or some shit.. You can do better than that. How far down are you reaching?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinook (Post 6006382)
Yup. Jets lost. And rightfully so. Congrats on the win Loafs. But it doesn't detract from my point. Your team is still 47 years cupless and still falling. Once they win the cup, then I won't rag on you anymore. Until then, you are still a garbage team with a annoying hot garbage fanbase.

Speaking of hot garbage fanbases... When's the honeymoon over anyway?

Rather be in a drought than be a virgin. Maybe a Winnipeg team should at least make the finals (or the 3rd round) before talking about other teams not winning a cup.

Surrealplaces Feb 8, 2013 7:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reesonov (Post 6006903)
Among the top five teams in the league for most shots per game and fewest shots allowed per game. Just need the goaltending to be better and a little more luck around the net.

Yeah, Irving wasn't bad, but the first one was a marshmallow. That said, he made some good saves. And Kipper wasn't exactly tearing it up.

Last night they hit those three goalposts in a row....I was thinking, not this again! Without trying to sound too much like a homer, I agree 100%, they have had a lot of bad bounces...especially Glencross, who could have 20 goals by now if just a bit better luck.

Shinook Feb 8, 2013 7:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Architect (Post 6007115)
Speaking of hot garbage fanbases... When's the honeymoon over anyway?

Rather be in a drought than be a virgin. Maybe a Winnipeg team should at least make the finals (or the 3rd round) before talking about other teams not winning a cup.

No such thing as a honeymoon in hockey markets, IMO. Only self-rightious, pompous people from fanbases who can hear a pin drop at their own morgue-like arena atmospheres say things like that. No worries, I'm used to Torontoians thinking their hot shit, even though the rest of the country knows they are not. I don't normally talk smack about other teams, but I make the exception for Torontonias because, well, quite frankly, it's fun (It's all in good fun :))

Anyways, I'm done now. The game is over and in the history books. Feel free to banter away with yourself if you'd like.

LeftCoaster Feb 8, 2013 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reesonov (Post 6007097)
If there was any justice in this world, Calgary would have beaten Chicago 8-1 that night.

If there was any justice in the world Chicago would lose by 8 goals every night.

Cowtown_Tim Feb 8, 2013 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgarian (Post 6007074)
Glencross has 4 goals and 2 assists in 8 games, I think he's doing pretty well.

He's played well, and if not for a couple of unlucky bounces and some goal posts he would likely be one of the media stories thus far.

freeweed Feb 8, 2013 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Architect (Post 6007115)
An overzealous article written by some guy on a website I've never even heard of? :sly:

He's using comic sans or some shit.. You can do better than that. How far down are you reaching?

I'm not reaching - I'm comparing myself, some random dude posting on the Internet (in a construction forum of all things), to some other random dude on the Internet posting on his blog.

It's just funnier because his blog gets picked up by news services (Google) where my rumblings are limited to the 20 or so of us here who actually read this otherwise off-topic thread.

I certainly wasn't trying to imply that this guy is the Toronto Sports Network (4-0 start! Playoffs in sight!) or the mayor (plan the parade boys, Darcy Tucker will get us a cup!).

freeweed Feb 8, 2013 8:49 PM

OK, I need some help here.

Dear Francophone SSPers - is this name as funny in French as it is in English?

I swear, sometimes you just can't make up shit this good. What's next, Vancouver will sign a dude actually named Johnny Canuck? (Yes, I realize the joke isn't 100% until this guy plays for the Habs or the incoming Diques)

Coldrsx Feb 8, 2013 9:08 PM

Lander out for oil with a broken foot...

Well if anything, the injuries for the Oil have been taking more of the ineffective people out.

lubicon Feb 8, 2013 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeweed (Post 6007300)
OK, I need some help here.

Dear Francophone SSPers - is this name as funny in French as it is in English?

I swear, sometimes you just can't make up shit this good. What's next, Vancouver will sign a dude actually named Johnny Canuck? (Yes, I realize the joke isn't 100% until this guy plays for the Habs or the incoming Diques)

I always liked Richard Zednick. Did he change the way he pronounced his name when he played in the U.S.? :cool:

Nicko999 Feb 8, 2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut (Post 6007070)
If Glencross didn't have the worst luck in the NHL with regards to burying chances we'd have a couple more wins (Chicago for sure (he could've had a hattie if things bounced his way), last night in regulation). I can't imagine how frustrated he's gotta be getting! At least he got one in Detroit.

Haha, kind of like Bourque. He has 7 pts in 10 games but he could easily have more. He must have been injured last season (had surgery this summer) because he looks like a completely different player.

Quote:

Through 10 games, Rene Bourque is only 2 goals and 1 point short of his 38-game total with Montreal last season. Bourque leads the Canadiens with an incredible 18 to 1 scoring chance ratio. Expressed simply, this means that Bourque helps produce 18 scoring chances, for every 1 scoring chance he is responsible for.
http://www.boucherscouting.com/

Acajack Feb 9, 2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeweed (Post 6007300)
OK, I need some help here.

Dear Francophone SSPers - is this name as funny in French as it is in English?

I swear, sometimes you just can't make up shit this good. What's next, Vancouver will sign a dude actually named Johnny Canuck? (Yes, I realize the joke isn't 100% until this guy plays for the Habs or the incoming Diques)

What is it that you find funny about his name? That Cliche sounds like cliché?

There is no accent on the last E, so the name is actually prounced ''clish''.

sa230e Feb 9, 2013 2:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeweed (Post 6007300)
OK, I need some help here.

Dear Francophone SSPers - is this name as funny in French as it is in English?

I swear, sometimes you just can't make up shit this good. What's next, Vancouver will sign a dude actually named Johnny Canuck? (Yes, I realize the joke isn't 100% until this guy plays for the Habs or the incoming Diques)

That's not a funny name. This is a funny name:
http://1.media.sportspickle.cvcdn.co...5ceebbb13d.jpg

Nicko999 Feb 9, 2013 5:50 AM

For those that don't know, this is Galchenyuk's sister.:yes:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2dl16yt.png

mintzilla Feb 9, 2013 9:38 PM

imo the Oilers are hands down the worst team in the league right now. (and for last half decade)

we cant score
cant win a face off
cant get a cycle going
always outshot
softer than butter
all our forwards think they can deke through 4 guys
terrible at defensive zone coverage
some of the worst defence in NHL history

goal-tending is surprisingly good?

seriously embarrassing to watch these guys.

stop winnin' for Mackinnon is a go, or is it gettin owned for Seth Jones?

fuck this team.


edit: i do see us turning it around starting in Columbus tomorrow. just get one blow out and we are off to the races.

Black Star Feb 9, 2013 10:01 PM

^ To much Caffeine eh!!!! Just sit back and watch the fire works:fireworks:

Oilers will dominate in time. :chillpill:

Boreal Feb 9, 2013 10:30 PM

I love playing games against the Sens - win or lose. One of the best fan bases in the league I have found to chat with.

...and Nicko, to answer an early question - I think we're going to have to agree to disagree, because I do not believe PK Subban is a top pairing defenseman. I think he is a decent second pairing D. In that context, I believe a good number of teams have better pairings. That said, I don't believe that you see Subban in the same light, so naturally, there will be no agreement between the two of us.

And yes, I would take Buff and Enstrom over Markov and Subban. It has nothing to do with them being Jets, and everything to do with both of them being legit top pairing D, while Markov is the only top pairing D I see on Montreal's roster. In the same vein, I prefer Vancouver's top pair as well. But again, I figure there is a good bit of distance between our two opinions.

Cheers.

Nicko999 Feb 9, 2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mintzilla (Post 6008495)
imo the Oilers are hands down the worst team in the league right now. (and for last half decade)

we cant score
cant win a face off
cant get a cycle going
always outshot
softer than butter
all our forwards think they can deke through 4 guys
terrible at defensive zone coverage
some of the worst defence in NHL history

goal-tending is surprisingly good?

seriously embarrassing to watch these guys.

stop winnin' for Mackinnon is a go, or is it gettin owned for Seth Jones?

fuck this team.


edit: i do see us turning it around starting in Columbus tomorrow. just get one blow out and we are off to the races.

They are not the worst team in the NHL because there is too much talent on that lineup but I do agree, they are very soft.

People call the Habs smurfs and soft but we have 12 players with 10+ hits this season. The Oilers have 4...
Most teams have around 10 players with that amount so it gives an idea.

Nicko999 Feb 9, 2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreal (Post 6008554)
...and Nicko, to answer an early question - I think we're going to have to agree to disagree, because I do not believe PK Subban is a top pairing defenseman. I think he is a decent second pairing D. In that context, I believe a good number of teams have better pairings. That said, I don't believe that you see Subban in the same light, so naturally, there will be no agreement between the two of us.

And yes, I would take Buff and Enstrom over Markov and Subban. It has nothing to do with them being Jets, and everything to do with both of them being legit top pairing D, while Markov is the only top pairing D I see on Montreal's roster. In the same vein, I prefer Vancouver's top pair as well. But again, I figure there is a good bit of distance between our two opinions.

Cheers.

Last year, he was forced to be our #1 D (with Markov out) and still put 36 pts... good for 28th among D. However he took a lot of minor penalties at an insane pace (I think he lead the league in minors) so he has to change that.
His defensive game is very underrated and I think he would be a #2 D in most NHL team. I can understand though why some people view him as a second pair D and it's up to Subban to prove them wrong.:cheers:

So far so good... Markov-Subban have combined for 6 goals, 8 assists and 14 pts in 14 games.

easy as pie Feb 9, 2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeweed (Post 6007300)
OK, I need some help here.

Dear Francophone SSPers - is this name as funny in French as it is in English?

I swear, sometimes you just can't make up shit this good. What's next, Vancouver will sign a dude actually named Johnny Canuck? (Yes, I realize the joke isn't 100% until this guy plays for the Habs or the incoming Diques)

? why is that name funny in english?

roccerfeller Feb 10, 2013 1:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreal (Post 6008554)
I love playing games against the Sens - win or lose. One of the best fan bases in the league I have found to chat with.

I must say, Sens fans I have met sure are classy. I was in Ottawa a few weeks ago, and I had some great conversations with the Sens fans I came across (all over the place, from the fancier restaurants to the hipster cafés)

That said, their fan base is sort of the opposite of what goes on in the MTS Centre. I think they clapped a few times and what might have been a "go Sens go" chant sounded like background chatter or perhaps popcorn mastication .. no wonder some of their more hardcore fans hate our building, our fans, and our boo parades so much :haha:

Oh, and did they have a "most boring announcer" draw to see who would call the game?

logan5 Feb 10, 2013 1:35 AM

What in the world has happened to the Washington Capitals?

Tonight the Canucks and Flames go at it. Flames have a better record on the road, so maybe they have a chance. Prediction... 3-0 Vancouver.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...ssj1zKM9jvBHDO
GO CANUCKS!

theman23 Feb 10, 2013 3:04 AM

6-0...hoo boy, I'm getting some of that old-time feeling!!

Video Link

sa230e Feb 10, 2013 3:06 AM

http://global3.memecdn.com/quadruple...m_o_885270.jpg

God, that was brutal.

Nicko999 Feb 10, 2013 3:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa230e (Post 6008795)

Haha... that was the worst hockey game I've seen in the last 2 years...

BTW-Congrats to the Leafs for gooning it up... Orr trying to take Plekanec's knee? And then sucker punching Bourque? And Grabovski BITING Pacioretty?

Obviously they had to goon it with our first line out.

Black Star Feb 10, 2013 3:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theman23 (Post 6008793)
6-0...hoo boy, I'm getting some of that old-time feeling!!

Video Link



Good win 4 u guys.:cheers:


Sunday morning reality is that..... You beat Montreal;)


Nazem Kadri...the real deal...serious....Wow.

Brian Burke and Ron Wilson....were so offside with keeping this kid in the minors IMO.

Hell as an Oiler fan...I really liked watching him this week!!

theman23 Feb 10, 2013 3:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 6008820)
Haha... that was the worst hockey game I've seen in the last 2 years...

BTW-Congrats to the Leafs for gooning it up... Orr trying to take Plekanec's knee? And then sucker punching Bourque? And Grabovski BITING Pacioretty?

Obviously they had to goon it with our first line out.

:haha:

Did you miss the score? The Leafs could have just iced Reimer tonight and would have still won this game. The didn't have to do anything.

Oh, and if Pacioretty didn't want to be "bit" by Grabovski, maybe he shouldn't have inserted his arm into his mouth. Kind of hard to not bite someone when you're falling down with their arm inside your mouth. What a dumbass.

Orr tried to hipcheck Plecanek (see: http://i.imgur.com/SeMGOdI.jpg), and punched out Borque after he tried to land one on him. Watch the game please next time - Montreal tried to start shit when they were down 4-0, and the Leafs sat them down.

This picture really says it all:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps14b440ad.png

Nicko999 Feb 10, 2013 4:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theman23 (Post 6008826)
Oh, and if Pacioretty didn't want to be "bit" by Grabovski, maybe he shouldn't have inserted his arm into his mouth. Kind of hard to not bite someone when you're falling down with their arm inside your mouth. What a dumbass.

That happens every time in scrums... but it's not a reason to bite him... knowing Grabovski though, I'm not surprised, he's a POS!

Video Link

Nicko999 Feb 10, 2013 4:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theman23 (Post 6008826)

Orr tried to hipcheck Plecanek (see: http://i.imgur.com/SeMGOdI.jpg), and punched out Borque after he tried to land one on him. Watch the game please next time - Montreal tried to start shit when they were down 4-0, and the Leafs sat them down.

This picture really says it all:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps14b440ad.png

LOL, good one... after his "attempt" Orr jumped Gionta (who is the smallest player in the league and NEVER droped his gloves). Bourque is just trying to help.
http://i.minus.com/iqKeNUFcJPi3W.gif

As for the picture, McLaren is 6"5 and Gorges is 6"0... not a fair fight.

theman23 Feb 10, 2013 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 6008853)
LOL, good one... after his "attempt" Orr jumped Gionta (who is the smallest player in the league and NEVER droped his gloves). Bourque is just trying to help.
http://i.minus.com/iqKeNUFcJPi3W.gif

As for the picture, McLaren is 6"5 and Gorges is 6"0... not a fair fight.

Are you by any chance blind? I think you might be. Gionta and Borque came after him. The gif you just posted clearly shows that, so IDK why you posted it.

PS: Gorges went after McLaren. Thats the whole point - McLaren just stands there laughing his ass off as he proceeds to beat the shit out of him.

theman23 Feb 10, 2013 4:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicko999 (Post 6008839)
That happens every time in scrums... but it's not a reason to bite him... knowing Grabovski though, I'm not surprised, he's a POS!

Video Link

People don't insert bare arms into mouths during a normal scrum. Have you ever played hockey? Grabovski may have bit him, he may not have - the video doesn't show anything. All we see is him falling to the ground with Pacioretty's arm in his mouth - Pacioretty may have been bit, or he may have been a victim of this neat little thing called gravity.

Thanks for the youtube video that doesn't show anything. Try this instead:
http://s17.postimage.org/6l4bieze7/Orr_Knee4.jpg

Chinook Arch Feb 10, 2013 4:57 AM

Crappy 2nd period for the Flames. They can't seem to stop the Sedin line.

Wow, Montreal gets skullfu*ked by the Leafs. Leaf fans must be rejoicing tonight.

libtard Feb 10, 2013 5:37 AM

Nucks are definitely diving less

Bieksa gets an elbow to the jaw and doesn't even phase him

Surrealplaces Feb 10, 2013 5:41 AM

Worst loss of the season for the Flames. I didn't think they played that badly, but it just wasn't their night.

Mister F Feb 10, 2013 6:10 AM

Pacioretty jamming his arm into Grabovski's mouth was hilarious. What did he expect, a kiss?

You Need A Thneed Feb 10, 2013 6:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by libtard (Post 6008905)
Nucks are definitely diving less

LOL, what?

suburbanite Feb 10, 2013 7:23 AM

I love the Canadiens players complaining about the fights during the post-game like that was what lost them the game. Reimer came up big in the second, and Montreal's defense was brutal, the antics towards the end of the game was just the icing on the cake.

edit: and the flames just made me lose my first week in fantasy. Pick it up boys!

Nicko999 Feb 10, 2013 7:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister F (Post 6008934)
Pacioretty jamming his arm into Grabovski's mouth was hilarious. What did he expect, a kiss?

Good lord... do Leafs fans realize that EVERY biting incident happens because a player has a hand or fingers in the opponent's face?

Stop making excuses for Grabovski, it's pathetic.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BCtjQemCIAAyBdl.png

suburbanite Feb 10, 2013 7:42 AM

How Montreal sees themselves:

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/6858/canadiens.jpg

How everyone else sees them:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps14b440ad.png

If it's going to degenerate into one of these I might as well.

Nicko999 Feb 10, 2013 7:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theman23 (Post 6008858)
Are you by any chance blind? I think you might be. Gionta and Borque came after him. The gif you just posted clearly shows that, so IDK why you posted it.

PS: Gorges went after McLaren. Thats the whole point - McLaren just stands there laughing his ass off as he proceeds to beat the shit out of him.

McLaren didn't "beat the shit out of him". It's not like Gorges get KOed or anything. It more like McLaren watching Gorges trying to hit him.


Quote:

Originally Posted by theman23 (Post 6008865)
People don't insert bare arms into mouths during a normal scrum. Have you ever played hockey? Grabovski may have bit him, he may not have - the video doesn't show anything. All we see is him falling to the ground with Pacioretty's arm in his mouth - Pacioretty may have been bit, or he may have been a victim of this neat little thing called gravity.

Still want to deny the bite? It happened, just accept it.

http://s11.postimage.org/vec6cetar/t...edtheworld.jpg

logan5 Feb 10, 2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed (Post 6008940)
LOL, what?

That's how we've always played. Even without our second line, we'll still play solid.

The difference between the Oilers and Flames vs Canucks is our defense. Tambellini has to have the balls to make a trade for some solid defensemen, instead of sitting back and collecting high draft picks year after year, otherwise you will never beat us.

The Flames are truly lost.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.