SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Edmonton (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=648)
-   -   Edmonton Food, Coffee, Dining, etc. (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140637)

itom 987 Apr 7, 2017 1:14 AM

It's an improvement, but I still wish that shack was replaced with something more substantial.

Black Star Apr 7, 2017 3:43 AM

Absolutely agree.

A one story on Jasper doesn't compute these days.

Coldrsx Apr 7, 2017 1:39 PM

Longer term maybe, but the two spaces are much needed on Jasper as we have so few great retail/rest spots.

Coldrsx Apr 7, 2017 4:41 PM

Atlas for dinner last night, my second time. Amazing table prepared Caesar salad and one of the best steaks in recent and long-term memory... a 14oz ny.

Coldrsx Apr 9, 2017 2:55 PM

Central Social Hall on 109st had their grand re-opening last night and is looking good!

McBoo Apr 10, 2017 4:05 PM

Hardware Grill on the weekend with the Vancouver crew. Bacon wrapped elk = unbelievable. Scallops -spot on.

Braised pork, not so much.

Atmosphere and service, great. Literally there for three hours (at just slightly over $200 / hr. ah well).

Hallsy's Toupee Apr 11, 2017 8:15 PM

Looks like Blaze Pizza has opened in the Brewery District south of Loblaws.

Albicaulis Apr 12, 2017 3:16 PM

As a society, we have reached maximum saturation of "authentic" pizza and "craft" burgers. They will go the way of the fancy cupcake.

Hallsy's Toupee Apr 12, 2017 3:22 PM

^ I prefer that than the oversaturation of Subways, Shoppers Drug Marts, dental clinics, beauty salons and cellphone cover kiosks.

Albicaulis Apr 12, 2017 3:26 PM

Touché

Black Star Apr 12, 2017 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albicaulis (Post 7770660)
As a society, we have reached maximum saturation of "authentic" pizza and "craft" burgers. They will go the way of the fancy cupcake.

#1 Pizza Unlimited. Donair Pizza
#2 Chicago deep dish. Double pepperoni extra cheese.

#3 Royal Pizza loaded. Hold the anchovies.

The rest are just ok.

#1 A&W Teen burger easy mustard and ketchup.

#2 Wendys double cheese

#3 Harveys Bacon and Cheese.

The rest are just ok :D

MacLac Apr 12, 2017 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Star (Post 7770847)

The rest are just ok.

#2 Wendys double cheese

Good choices....but in order to satisfy all of our "Hipster, Gluten-free Ebola, organic, ethically treated livestock, hormone free" fanatatical culture - we will never be free of of this.....

Black Star Apr 12, 2017 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacLac (Post 7770911)
Good choices....but in order to satisfy all of our "Hipster, Gluten-free Ebola, organic, ethically treated livestock, hormone free" fanatatical culture - we will never be free of of this.....

lol...very true.

McBoo Apr 12, 2017 6:32 PM

Quote:

#2 Wendys double cheese

ACK - no Canadian Burger from Queen Donair?!?

Heresy I say.

Airboy Apr 12, 2017 7:42 PM

Remove the Harveys burger and add any small town Burger Barron, Baroness Burger. and Yes for the Teen burger but it has to have a tall frosty rootbeer to go with it.

rapid_business Apr 12, 2017 7:48 PM

Quote:

The rest are just ok.

#2 Wendys double cheese

I miss Rosebowl Pizza. :(

Black Star Apr 13, 2017 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBoo (Post 7771028)
ACK - no Canadian Burger from Queen Donair?!?

Heresy I say.

Donair Sub at Queen used to be one of my favs on Stony Plain rd. Sweet sauce please with extra everything.

Black Star Apr 13, 2017 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapid_business (Post 7771152)
I miss Rosebowl Pizza. :(

I know....me also.

The pies were really good. The atmosphere was classic.

Coldrsx Apr 13, 2017 3:17 PM

I thought Rosebowl was going to be resurrected at BLVD?

Coldrsx Apr 13, 2017 4:28 PM

Massawa Cafe last night for the Mayor's celebration of the arts launch. Amazing prices, good food, cafe and licensed. Total hidden gem. 97st/101ave in the Arts lofts building east of Canada Place.

http://massawacafe.com/

edm_guy Apr 13, 2017 4:45 PM

Went to Vivo downtown last night before the game

Arrived around 5:45 and the place was already packed!

Great atmosphere on the Tavern side. Awesome game day specials too....$12 for a pint and a pizza.

The pizza was pretty good, they imported a wood burning oven from Italy. Will definitely be back.

Coldrsx Apr 13, 2017 4:50 PM

^yup. Everyone is praising it for pricing, food, quality. Great addition.

Hallsy's Toupee Apr 13, 2017 5:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 7772034)
Massawa Cafe last night for the Mayor's celebration of the arts launch. Amazing prices, good food, cafe and licensed. Total hidden gem. 97st/101ave in the Arts lofts building east of Canada Place.

http://massawacafe.com/

I've always meant to try that place.
Another hidden gem on 97 St is Brittany's. I'm glad she's been able to keep it going all this time.

Coldrsx Apr 14, 2017 8:22 PM

Doan's last night for a dish I absolutely love, just grilled beef and rice. Their marinated beef is still amazing stuff.

Black Star Apr 15, 2017 2:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 7773554)
Doan's last night for a dish I absolutely love, just grilled beef and rice. Their marinated beef is still amazing stuff.

Haven't been to Doans in 15 years.

What was her name? I do remember meeting her at the Overtime lol.

Coldrsx Apr 16, 2017 8:54 PM

Tonkatsu and vending machine coffee! Dorinku I will be back for a leraxing time.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9j-fRCUMAA4xQE.jpg:large
https://twitter.com/IanOyeg

Hallsy's Toupee Apr 20, 2017 1:02 PM

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but Kingwuu is now open at Jasper/105 St next to Subway (in former cupcake space). As usual in this city, it took ages for this place to open.

Coldrsx Apr 20, 2017 1:11 PM

I cannot wait for some xiao long bao! XLBFTW

EdmTrekker Apr 22, 2017 8:46 PM

ALTA - in Need of a Menu Makeover

Yikes ... not a positive review for the new ALTA. Not sure I will dine there unless I can get some fresh cooked meats - at least 6oz. A wee bit of cold salmon won't cut it for me.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...view-1.4081445

Hardhatdan Apr 23, 2017 12:42 AM

That sounds terrible.
Huge pass.

SHOFEAR Apr 23, 2017 1:23 PM

Just walking by the place i know i'd hate it.

Black Star Apr 23, 2017 4:22 PM

No thanks......

Coldrsx Apr 23, 2017 10:58 PM

Really folks? I am genuinely curious and intrigued. Get past tenders and fries.

Hardhatdan Apr 23, 2017 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 7782484)

That's a dumb ass comment and you know it.
Where are are taking about tenders and fries? The menu has zero appeal to me.
Dont be a dumb dumb if you disagree, say why, don't spout a drive by cheap shot from your high horse.

Hallsy's Toupee Apr 23, 2017 11:40 PM

I agree, that's a very snooty comment.

I've looked at ALTA's menu and the only item even remotely appealing to me is the salmon. And $8 for bread and butter?
https://altayeg.ca/

I hope the Alder Room has something more substantial. But for wine and tapas I'd sooner go to Kelsey's place around the corner (Tzin).

240glt Apr 23, 2017 11:50 PM

Quote:

What a pretentious a**

MacLac Apr 24, 2017 12:54 AM

Another great South Common Keg lounge experience last night.....bartender says 3 new Keg's are on the books....SPark, Oliver and Windermere.....didn't know about the Park getting one.....apparently McDanvid and Nurse were in just before the playoffs started......wonder of McDavid likes early 40's Milf's?

Xelebes Apr 24, 2017 1:04 AM

Quote:

The main draw is supposed to be the wines. They selected the worst wines you could muster (natural wines) and offer up cold plates where everything is pickled. When we say we will pass, we are saying that there are better options out there and it doesn't require us to step in and waste our time and money on it.

Now if you have a taste for natural wine and like cold plates of pickles to nibble on while you drink that natural wine, knock yourself out. Just saying that for most of us, this place isn't going pass the muster.

240glt Apr 24, 2017 1:11 AM

New bar going in at the apartment building that CMD's company built on 106 ave in Forrest Heights

Hopeful it'll be a better option for the neighbourhood than the Hilltop.

itom 987 Apr 24, 2017 1:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee (Post 7782529)
I agree, that's a very snooty comment.

I've looked at ALTA's menu and the only item even remotely appealing to me is the salmon. And $8 for bread and butter?
https://altayeg.ca/

I hope the Alder Room has something more substantial. But for wine and tapas I'd sooner go to Kelsey's place around the corner (Tzin).

After looking at the menu I have to agree, there is nothing on there that makes me want to eat. The wording on the menu itself is very bland. They need to rework the wording of the menu.

Coldrsx Apr 24, 2017 1:35 AM

Not sure what I will think of it, but it is one of the few places in the last while that is genuinely intriguing. Maybe how about give something new a shot? I plan to.

Didn't know that complimenting someone on their creativity and taking a risk means being pretentious. jeepers.

Hallsy's Toupee Apr 24, 2017 1:58 AM

^ It was your "Get past tenders and fries" snipe is what makes you look like a pretentious asshole. And having met you several times, I know you're not.

Coldrsx Apr 24, 2017 2:01 AM

It was simply a comment about something more than fries and tenders, which I love btw, and how it is exciting to have quite a few new directions for food in our city these days.

240glt Apr 24, 2017 2:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 7782633)
Not sure what I will think of it, but it is one of the few places in the last while that is genuinely intriguing. Maybe how about give something new a shot? I plan to.

Didn't know that complimenting someone on their creativity and taking a risk means being pretentious. jeepers.

It's the messaging dude

Of anyone, you should know this. C'mon, don't play stupid

Black Star Apr 24, 2017 3:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 240glt (Post 7782617)
New bar going in at the apartment building that CMD's company built on 106 ave in Forrest Heights

Been living in this hood off and on for years. Hilltop I was never a fan of. I will check out this new place. Thanks for the info.

Hardhatdan Apr 24, 2017 3:24 AM

Dallas pizza will always be the best thing on that strip.
Yea I said it.
Cool there is a new option, I'll for sure head over.

Coldrsx Apr 24, 2017 4:27 PM

Reference ID: Job No 245991012-001
Description: To change the use from General Retail use to Specialty Food Servcies ( 94.1 m2, 24 seats)
Plan NB Blk 10 Lot 89
11012 - JASPER AVENUE NW
Plan NB Blk 10 Lot 90
11012 - JASPER AVENUE NW
Plan NB Blk 10 Lots 91-92
Applicant: SNOWY VILLAGE CAFE, WENTAO
Create Date: 4/20/2017 12:09:09 PM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

rapid_business Apr 25, 2017 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 240glt (Post 7782617)

Cartago is the name of the bar. I sat next to the proprietor at a dinner two months ago. Nice guy. Hope it does well. Will take a cruise over there in the summer to check it out.

Coldrsx Apr 25, 2017 3:53 PM

^nice guy indeed and some creative plans. Looking forward to seeing what it will be.

Sabor last night, quite busy for a Monday and it always delivers. Professional service, amazing ambiance and delicious food.

Serrano ham, stuffed peppers, staple caesar, chicken paella, prawn rigatoni and a bottle of the red stuff.

EdmTrekker Apr 25, 2017 4:53 PM

A meal I would certainly enjoy.