SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Speech pattern and typographical variations across Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209368)

Boris2k7 Feb 14, 2014 6:35 PM

English is a screwed up language.

Video Link

MonkeyRonin Feb 14, 2014 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middeljohn (Post 6451773)
The following phrases I don't use anywhere else. Just in Toronto you'll hear me say things like:

"Yo bro, what are you sayin tonight?"

"Nah bro, you got it wrong"

"Serious" (said when agreeing with someone, and with the first syllable raised)

Minus the obnoxious BRO BRO BRO stuff (which isn't really a Torontoism either - though the way it's said is), I use those phrases all the time. Why, mere minutes ago I sent a text to a friend asking "yo, what are you saying this weekend?" :haha: I hadn't realized they were a Toronto thing.

GlassCity Feb 14, 2014 7:26 PM

"What are you saying" definitely is. I had never even heard of this expression until a friend of mine went to Queen's and told us all about Ontario slang.

I'd normally say "what are you doing" or "what are you up to"

SignalHillHiker Feb 14, 2014 7:28 PM

:haha: That's awesome. I love how nonsensical it is.

Here it'd be "What are ya at?" or "How's she cuttin'?", depending on age/region.

GlassCity Feb 14, 2014 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6452659)

Here it'd be "What are ya at?" or "How's she cuttin'?", depending on age/region.

:haha: I have never heard of either of those! That's very cool.

SignalHillHiker Feb 14, 2014 7:49 PM

There are a lot of websites that try to translate our expressions, but this is the first one I've found that actually gets them right. I've bolded ones that are so common as to be basically the only way of expressing the idea locally:

Quote:

A typical conversation in ‘Newfinese’ might go something like this:

“Ow’s she cuttin’, me cocky?” – How are you, my friend?

Best kind, b’y. Ow’s she gettin’ on?” – I’m feeling great. How are you faring?

“I’m just ’bout gutfounded.” – I’m very hungry

“I’ll put da ol’ slut on. Put da wood in da ’ole an we’ll ‘ave a yarn” – I’ll put the kettle on. Close the door and we’ll chat.

“Yes b’y. Fire up a scoff.” – Make some food

Whatta yat? Is ya ’ard at it all de time or wa?” – What are you doing? Are you working hard?

Yes b’y, I dare say, but n’arn – Yes, I expect I am, but there’s no fish. (N’arn being a contracted form of ‘nary a one’.)
They've written the Newfoundland English above according to one rural accent in which the H is almost never pronounced. That's not the case in St. John's.

Best kind also means... admirable? Not quite sure how to translate it... but you could say, "Oh, her new boyfriend is best kind". And you don't mean he's feeling great, you mean he's acceptable, admirable, etc.

Quote:

Do you want some taken up? –Want some supper?
Who knit ya? – Who’s your mother/parents?
Stay where you’re to ’till I comes where you’re at. – Stay there until I get there.
Yes b’y. – This is a staple, and it can mean many things, depending on its intonation—Ok!…No way! I don’t believe you…Really, it’s true…Is that so? You’ll just have to take this one in context.
Mind now. – You don’t really expect that?
I just dies at you! – You make me laugh.
Oh me nerves, ye got me drove! – You’re driving me crazy.
Put da side back in ’er. – Close the window.
What odds? – Who cares?
Lodge it on da bridge. – Put it down on the step outside.
It’s a mausey day. – A foggy, wet day.
I handy ’bout died. – I almost died laughing.
I knows you’re not stunned. – You’re stupid.
G’wan! – You’re joking, right?
I’ll drop over ’round by and by. – I’ll visit sometime.
You’re some crooked/contrary – You are grouchy/hard to get along with.
You could also use rotted instead of contrary. And by and by would be more commonly expressed as "the once" (in a bit) or "now the once" (in a short bit).

http://www.encounternewfoundland.com...r-on-the-rock/

My personal favourite, though, will always be "couldn'ts". It means leftovers. When I consciously realized why that is, I died.

MonkeyRonin Feb 14, 2014 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6452659)

Some don't think it be like it is, but it do.

SignalHillHiker Feb 14, 2014 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin (Post 6452705)
Some don't think it be like it is, but it do.

:haha: I want to get that tattooed on me. I just love it so much. That baseball player, right? In the U.S., I think?

middeljohn Feb 14, 2014 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin (Post 6452619)
Minus the obnoxious BRO BRO BRO stuff (which isn't really a Torontoism either - though the way it's said is), I use those phrases all the time. Why, mere minutes ago I sent a text to a friend asking "yo, what are you saying this weekend?" :haha: I hadn't realized they were a Toronto thing.

People call each other bro in many places, but it seems that "o" gets extended longer in Toronto.

The "sayin" thing I haven't heard anywhere else in Canada.

Toronto is a huge metropolis, so it's only natural that it is developing its own unique slang. A lot of it has to do with Toronto having a strong hip hop and electronica culture.

GlassCity Feb 14, 2014 8:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middeljohn (Post 6452726)
People call each other bro in many places, but it seems that "o" gets extended longer in Toronto.

The "sayin" thing I haven't heard anywhere else in Canada.

Toronto is a huge metropolis, so it's only natural that it is developing its own unique slang. A lot of it has to do with Toronto having a strong hip hop and electronica culture.

I don't think it's just for big cities like Toronto. We have a lot of slang here in Vancouver, and much of it even differs from suburb to suburb.

middeljohn Feb 14, 2014 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlassCity (Post 6452753)
I don't think it's just for big cities like Toronto. We have a lot of slang here in Vancouver, and much of it even differs from suburb to suburb.

Well Vancouver is smaller, but it's also more isolated. It also has a unique demographic (approaching 50% Asian). So it makes sense that it would develop its own colloquialisms.

MolsonExport Feb 14, 2014 8:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris2k7 (Post 6452549)
English is a screwed up language.

Video Link

Hahah, I like this crotchety old man.

GlassCity Feb 14, 2014 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middeljohn (Post 6452806)
Well Vancouver is smaller, but it's also more isolated. It also has a unique demographic (approaching 50% Asian). So it makes sense that it would develop its own colloquialisms.

Actually, whatever slang comes from immigrant groups usually comes from the large Indian community. I think it's because Indians assimilate better into the city and hang out with their own crew as well as with locals, whereas Chinese people seem to only hang out with each other.

go_leafs_go02 Feb 14, 2014 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artvandelay (Post 6452473)
Biggest difference I notice when I'm down in Ontario is the nasal "a". Words like dance and can't are pronounced daince and cain't, it's much similar to what you hear in the Midwestern US whereas the (urban) western Canadian accent is more similar to the west coast US accent.

Correct. Camera, Handyman, Canada, Dance, Can't, all sound more americanized in Southern Ontario compared to Western Canada.

middeljohn Feb 14, 2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 (Post 6452889)
Correct. Camera, Handyman, Canada, Dance, Can't, all sound more americanized in Southern Ontario compared to Western Canada.

I find the "i" sound to be pronounced rounder in west coast US than here in SO, not sure if that's true for Vancouver as well. Personally I really clip the "i", for example "sometimes" I pronounce as "sum-tahms" where as the Seattle accents I've heard they'll say "sum-teyems"

SignalHillHiker Feb 14, 2014 11:35 PM

So, here is how I say "Pembina", "Mario", and a quick story to try to give a relaxed, authentic version of my accent.

Set to separatist bikinis... lol

Video Link

GlassCity Feb 15, 2014 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middeljohn (Post 6453019)
I find the "i" sound to be pronounced rounder in west coast US than here in SO, not sure if that's true for Vancouver as well. Personally I really clip the "i", for example "sometimes" I pronounce as "sum-tahms" where as the Seattle accents I've heard they'll say "sum-teyems"

I say sum-teyems
Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6453107)
So, here is how I say "Pembina", "Mario", and a quick story to try to give a relaxed, authentic version of my accent.

Set to separatist bikinis... lol

Video Link

THAT'S AWESOME! From what I understood, the Newfoundland accent didn't really exist in St. John's so this was a nice surprise. Would you say this is how most people in town talk?

Come to think of it, I've never actually heard someone from Newfoundland talk so I wasn't 100% sure of what it sounded like. A lot of us here like to talk with that accent for fun, but none of us really know what it ACTUALLY is.

Also, I caught myself a couple times and had to change my wording. For future reference, is the term "newfie" considered offensive?

SignalHillHiker Feb 15, 2014 12:43 AM

I don't know if you think I do have an accent or I don't from what you posted...

My accent is pretty generic, yeah. If you rank Newfoundland accents from 1-10 where 1 is basically identical to mainland Canadian and 10 is incomprehensible to mainland Canadians, 90% of people here are probably 3-6. I'm easily 3-4, depending on lots of factors (who I'm with, how comfortable I am, if I had some beer, if I'm reading, if I'm recording myself to post on SSP and talking like I'm reading, lol), etc.

I'm drinking tonight. I'll record myself again later and see. lol

As for Newfie, I don't like it. I prefer Newfoundlander. But it's a losing battle, even here. A majority of Newfoundlanders wouldn't blink, most have no problem with Newfie. However, just FYI, the term "Newf" is 100% always shocking and offensive. No exception.

GlassCity Feb 15, 2014 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6453181)
I don't know if you think I do have an accent or I don't from what you posted...

My accent is pretty generic, yeah. If you rank Newfoundland accents from 1-10 where 1 is basically identical to mainland Canadian and 10 is incomprehensible to mainland Canadians, 90% of people here are probably 3-6. I'm easily 3-4, depending on lots of factors (who I'm with, how comfortable I am, if I had some beer, if I'm reading, if I'm recording myself to post on SSP and talking like I'm reading, lol), etc.

I'm drinking tonight. I'll record myself again later and see. lol

Sorry, I meant you definitely have an accent. I just liked it because it's such a famous accent, but I'd never actually ever heard someone with it.

middeljohn Feb 15, 2014 12:51 AM

That was awesome. What it sounds like is an Irish lad who has lived in Canada for 20 years. It would definitely stick out here. Are you able to switch it off when you go to another province?