SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

eburress Nov 2, 2020 3:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp (Post 9090871)
To think of what it might be built in another 20 years...

Hopefully there will be some opportunity to get some height in the Gaslamp area in that time. I realize many of the structures are historic (and ideally any/all significant structures would be maintained) but it is a bit of a bummer to me to see all the low rises in what's basically the center of downtown.

Streamliner Nov 2, 2020 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 9090911)
What do you guys think of the propositions/measures?

Any in particular that you feel strongly about?

For those of us on this forum (and who live within City of San Diego boundaries), I think it's safe to say that we would all agree on Yes on E: Raising the height limit for the Midway/Sports Arena district.

HurricaneHugo Nov 4, 2020 6:55 PM

Looks like Gloria will win as well as Measures A B and E!

Streamliner Nov 4, 2020 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 9095868)
Looks like Gloria will win as well as Measures A B and E!

A needs 2/3 to pass and we're only at around 57% Yes.

HurricaneHugo Nov 4, 2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 9095922)

Oh.

I really dislike that 2/3's requirement.

I don't think you can get 2/3's of people to agree that the sky is blue.

Will O' Wisp Nov 5, 2020 3:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 9095922)

Several recent CA Supreme Court cases have implied the 2/3rds requirement only applies to government proposed ballot measures, so theoretically A might still pass after a court battle.

E's the bigger win though. Lets get some height!

SDfan Nov 5, 2020 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp (Post 9096578)
Several recent CA Supreme Court cases have implied the 2/3rds requirement only applies to government proposed ballot measures, so theoretically A might still pass after a court battle.

E's the bigger win though. Lets get some height!

Measure A was a government proposed ballot measure. It's dead.

sanatty Nov 6, 2020 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 9097113)

That’s correct.

Will O' Wisp Nov 7, 2020 7:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 9097113)

Darn. Well, you win some you lose some.

HurricaneHugo Nov 8, 2020 7:37 AM

So now with Measure E (height limit) passed, what's the next hurdle for the new arena?

The Toronto Raptors are looking for a temporary home, sure would be nice if we could have had a test run of an NBA team here...

dl3000 Nov 11, 2020 6:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 9099956)
So now with Measure E (height limit) passed, what's the next hurdle for the new arena?

The Toronto Raptors are looking for a temporary home, sure would be nice if we could have had a test run of an NBA team here...

Yes please!

Also, I hope this plus NAVWAR Grand Central and the post office development (and yeah the Brookfield Sports Arena development) would spur a sort of revitalization of the district. Planners can easily be strategic about height limits that maximize views and housing capacity. I just hope it doesn't end up like parts of Mission Valley with walls of apartments, but rather emulates UTC with some of those types of buildings punctuated by a few taller ones.

Ideally, if somebody could devise and more importantly find a way to fund integrating Old Town with Grand Central and other potential developments in Midway across the 5 and the tracks (grade separation sure would be nice), they would be my hero. The 5 really is a scar on the whole Old Town to Downtown landscape.

Streamliner Nov 12, 2020 6:18 PM

Another cool shot from reddit. Kind of blurry, kind of big, but everything looks denser as a nighttime aerial:

https://i.imgur.com/Hm3nI83.jpg
Source

mello Nov 13, 2020 7:17 PM

I think the post office development on Midway is dead, that was approved two and a half years ago and we have never heard any updates on it.

Does anyone know why construction on East Village Green hasn't started. They anounced mid 19 that they had the funding and said construction was supposed to start in Jan or Feb of this year. Nothing is going on at the site.

S.DviaPhilly Nov 13, 2020 7:41 PM

San Diego Research and Development District Aerial Shot

Have an aerial photo of the progress of the site, but now that photobucket costs money not sure how to upload pics to the forum now. Advice? Thanks in advance!

Nerv Nov 14, 2020 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 9099956)

I was wondering the same thing. It looks like E only cleared the way to tear down and develop the arena. The city owns it and AEG manages it so if neither one is going to invest money into it I’m not sure how much interest there is in developing it. Is the city willing to go into joint ownership if someone was interested in developing it?

Nerv Nov 14, 2020 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp (Post 9099050)
Darn. Well, you win some you lose some.

LA has been throwing tons of money at their homeless and it’s getting worse. 1.2 billion dollars and their homeless has increased 12% yearly for the last 5 years. As usual the problem extends beyond throwing money at it hoping it goes away. Sadly homelessness has become a source for others to use to their advantage too. The city needs to take a serious look at what works and what doesn’t since the reasons people are homeless varies as should the solutions to the problem.

HurricaneHugo Nov 14, 2020 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.DviaPhilly (Post 9105732)
Have an aerial photo of the progress of the site, but now that photobucket costs money not sure how to upload pics to the forum now. Advice? Thanks in advance!

Imgur.com?

Just don't post it to their community, should work I think

HurricaneHugo Nov 14, 2020 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerv (Post 9106584)
I was wondering the same thing. It looks like E only cleared the way to tear down and develop the arena. The city owns it and AEG manages it so if neither one is going to invest money into it I’m not sure how much interest there is in developing it. Is the city willing to go into joint ownership if someone was interested in developing it?

There is already a group that will redevelop it:

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...inner/2395503/

Nerv Nov 14, 2020 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 9106601)
There is already a group that will redevelop it:

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...inner/2395503/

Thanks. Didn’t see that before and news stories I saw seemed to not mention it. Hopefully it doesn’t end up like the Seaport Village development plan and goes forward more smoothly....:D

HurricaneHugo Nov 15, 2020 11:54 PM

Coronado Bridge Light testing:

https://i.imgur.com/EeL5s8m.jpg