SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

casper Aug 29, 2021 2:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamincan (Post 9380220)
Is something happening in Morocco that I'm not aware of? We are starting a survey for a mining company there soon, and the equipment was detained by CBSA to review whether it required export permits (it didn't as it turns out). Now they're stopping flights from Morocco?

The COVID issues will likely disapear in a month or so when Canada switches to requiring everyone entering Canada be fully vaccinated.

zahav Aug 29, 2021 2:39 AM

Yes this in particular caught the government's attention:

[I]At least 26 flights from Casablanca, Morocco, landing in Montreal since Aug. 13 have included passengers with confirmed COVID-19 cases, according to the Canadian government’s tracking database.[/I

That's a pretty high ratio of flights, and definitely warrants some action.

Source: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...occo-1.5565270

thewave46 Aug 30, 2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 9378382)
not sure how this will affect Canada, they do fly to Toronto, but surprising to see them shut down.

Alitalia Is Shutting Down With All Future Flights Canceled Starting October 15

https://www.afar.com/magazine/alital...-on-october-15

Alitalia is one of those airlines that somehow existed despite being a money losing machine because government shovelled in the cash.

To get around some EU compliance issues, they're creating ITA - Italia Trasporto Aereo to replace Alitalia.

rbt Aug 30, 2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9380272)
The COVID issues will likely disapear in a month or so when Canada switches to requiring everyone entering Canada be fully vaccinated.

That's impossible so long as unvaccinated Canadians are allowed to leave the country. We can require all foreigners be vaccinated.

Calfan12 Aug 30, 2021 2:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 9378093)
Lack of US, Asian - especially to China - and Australian flights are really hurting YVR's numbers.

As for YYC, their domestic hub strength is evident. Over 90% of their passenger count is domestic. Which means they are more shielded compared to YVR or YUL when international borders close. Hence explaining the easy overtake of both.

Will be interesting to see if YYC can hold this lead and take 2nd place at the end of 2021. I don't think it will. With international flights opening up, YVR should overtake fairly quickly. YUL as well, but might take more time.

2021 will likely finish with the same ranking as 2020 : YYZ in first, YVR second, YYC third and YUL fourth. 2022 should see YUL back in third, if we don’t get a 5th, 6th and 7th wave of this fucking virus that is.

Impressive stuff by YYC nevertheless ! :cheers:

Yep 1 of the biggest reason Calgary Airport doing well in terms of passenger traffic in Canada so far,because it is WestJet's main hub with plenty of flights and destinations.

Not surprisingly WestJet is still adding more flights ✈️ and frequencies for Calgary Airport YYC, as this summer 2021 during a meeting with tourism, business and government leaders, they said that their going to beef up its Calgary Hub 1st!
“We will bring back service to Calgary faster than we bring back service to any other major city,” John Weatherill, WestJet’s chief commercial officer, told the online meeting. https://calgaryherald.com/business/v...hin-six-months

Calfan12 Aug 30, 2021 2:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9380272)
The COVID issues will likely disapear in a month or so when Canada switches to requiring everyone entering Canada be fully vaccinated.

It's not likely Covid pandemic goes away anytime soon & according to a City News Canada article mentioned that the Covid travel measures will be in place long-term:

Nikola Berube with AMA Travel says everything is still a work in progress.
“Right now, the Canadian government is using the ArriveCan app for people that are going internationally, in and out of Canada at the moment. But as we’ve all heard on the news lately, that’s going to change moving forward, with the federal government, bringing out a different system,” she said.

She points out that even if you’re double vaccinated, you still need to get a COVID-19 test to fly into most countries accepting travellers.

And, she expects many of these new rules will be in place for a long time.

“There have always been rules for traveling the past, we saw that happen after 9/11, things changed in the way of the travel industry then. This feels like something similar to that or these are going to be likely in place for long periods of time is not long term.”
https://www.660citynews.com/2021/08/...-requirements/

casper Aug 30, 2021 3:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calfan12 (Post 9381273)
It's not likely Covid pandemic goes away anytime soon & according to a City News Canada article mentioned that the Covid travel measures will be in place long-term:

Nikola Berube with AMA Travel says everything is still a work in progress.
“Right now, the Canadian government is using the ArriveCan app for people that are going internationally, in and out of Canada at the moment. But as we’ve all heard on the news lately, that’s going to change moving forward, with the federal government, bringing out a different system,” she said.

She points out that even if you’re double vaccinated, you still need to get a COVID-19 test to fly into most countries accepting travellers.

And, she expects many of these new rules will be in place for a long time.

“There have always been rules for traveling the past, we saw that happen after 9/11, things changed in the way of the travel industry then. This feels like something similar to that or these are going to be likely in place for long periods of time is not long term.”
https://www.660citynews.com/2021/08/...-requirements/

I was referring to the practice Canada has had with India and Morocco where overnight they announce they are banning all flights from a given country for a month or two due to it being a hot spot.

Once they switch to only allowing fully vaccinated passengers to travel by air, that should remove the need to close down flights from specific regions.

AuxTown Aug 31, 2021 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casper (Post 9381335)
I was referring to the practice Canada has had with India and Morocco where overnight they announce they are banning all flights from a given country for a month or two due to it being a hot spot.

Once they switch to only allowing fully vaccinated passengers to travel by air, that should remove the need to close down flights from specific regions.

Cue the fake COVID19 vaccine cards!

https://i.imgur.com/skwDODCh.jpg

Coldrsx Aug 31, 2021 12:50 AM

Classic.

casper Aug 31, 2021 1:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuxTown (Post 9381976)
Cue the fake COVID19 vaccine cards!

Interconnected database solve this problem easily. However, for countries that can't make that work then yes we will have this problem.

Calfan12 Aug 31, 2021 8:29 AM

For the month of September 2021 Edmonton International Airport YEG has 10 weekly combined US/International flights ✈️ Arrivals/Departures = 20 total for Sept.

KLM 2x weekly between YEG & Amsterdam
WestJet 4x weekly between YEG & Las Vegas
Swoop 2x weekly between YEG & Las Vegas
Swoop 2x weekly between YEG & Phoenix Mesa

It’s the busiest YEG has been for US/International flights since January 2021

hehehe Aug 31, 2021 4:01 PM

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...826701689.html
Interesting.
Westjet launches 4x weekly to GLA starting May and 3x EDI starting June 7, both on the MAX.
BCN and LGW remain the same.

Dominion301 Aug 31, 2021 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hehehe (Post 9382466)
https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...826701689.html
Interesting.
Westjet launches 4x weekly to GLA starting May and 3x MAN starting June 7, both on the MAX.
BCN and LGW remain the same.

YYZ-MAN? It says YYZ-EDI.

Dominion301 Aug 31, 2021 4:40 PM

Porter's DH4 fleet is now fully reconfigured to 78 seats with the slimline, lightweight seats. The old seats were nicer, but the new seats are better for the environment.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...865955044.html

hehehe Aug 31, 2021 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 9382508)
YYZ-MAN? It says YYZ-EDI.

I read the news release too quickly :)

zahav Aug 31, 2021 9:03 PM

The Scotland service makes sense, the right amount of seats and frequency for routes like this. Has anyone done a 737 from Toronto to the UK? Does it feel too small for a flight of that length, or is it OK?

thenoflyzone Aug 31, 2021 9:41 PM

The fact that you're crossing an ocean is irrelevant. It's within the range of the Max 8. That's all that matters.

Flights from YUL to LAX, SFO or LAS in the dead of winter with the brutal headwinds can be much longer - time wise- than YYZ-GLA/EDI in summer.

nname Aug 31, 2021 9:58 PM

AC also planned to operate YYZ-EDI with 7M8 next summer.

zahav Sep 1, 2021 3:01 AM

I didn't mean was it safe, just meant some people feel it's more tight than a widebody, so was wondering if anyone has been in a narrobody for that duration. I don't think there's any flights out of YVR that long in a narrobody. I think our summer seasonal to YHZ is the longest on a 737, and that is about 600 miles shorter than YYZ-EDI. I wasn't sure if there were any transatlantic ops from YYZ on a 737

casper Sep 1, 2021 6:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zahav (Post 9383156)
I didn't mean was it safe, just meant some people feel it's more tight than a widebody, so was wondering if anyone has been in a narrobody for that duration. I don't think there's any flights out of YVR that long in a narrobody. I think our summer seasonal to YHZ is the longest on a 737, and that is about 600 miles shorter than YYZ-EDI. I wasn't sure if there were any transatlantic ops from YYZ on a 737

Vancouver to Hawaii has about the same travel time.

TAP Air Portugal is running A321 to Lisbon. Air Transat and Air Canada are also running narrow body across the atlantic.

If you go back in history, small aircraft crossing Oceans is not unusual. Here is a narrow body flying from Vancouver to Tokyo.

Video Link


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.