SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Derek Jan 9, 2010 8:42 AM

The point? More wasted money!

Fusey Jan 9, 2010 5:03 PM

I love San Diego, but we have to have some of the dumbest leaders in the entire country.

Derek Jan 9, 2010 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusey (Post 4642323)
I love San Diego, but we have to have some of the dumbest leaders in the entire country.

I've been saying that for years! :banana:

Seriously though, this fucking weather mixed with this city's leadership is about to drive me out town. I fucking HATE this weather. It's fucking January. If the Chargers don't get their stadium I'm out.

bmfarley Jan 9, 2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4641874)
wtf

what's the point in that...

I am not saying I agree with CCDC on this; but, I believe the logic is that someone at some point will need to clean the property before it is developed into something. Those costs and additional timeline can be prohibitive and postpone development from ever occurring.

If CCDC cleans the property, at public expense, it will mitigate later costs and possible minimize the time the property is developed. Additionally, the ground is clensed.... reducing human health concerns.... and provides work/jobs.

Heck, maybe I do agree with that logic!

Fusey Jan 10, 2010 9:30 PM

You know things are going slow in your city when a parking lot is the only notable development.

dl3000 Jan 11, 2010 5:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusey (Post 4643689)
You know things are going slow in your city when a parking lot is the only notable development.

Thats true.

PadreHomer Jan 11, 2010 6:28 PM

I agree, its basically doing prep work now for what undoubtedly will be a future development down the road.

S.DviaPhilly Jan 13, 2010 5:52 PM

SD makes cut for World Cup host contender

Pretty cool and could be another reason for a new stadium....hopefully downtown

By Mark Zeigler, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 1:36 p.m.
Related news:

Chicago, San Francisco get World Cup boot

San Diego moved a step closer Tuesday to hosting the planet’s most popular sporting event when it was included in a list of 18 finalists that will be part of the U.S. bid for the 2018 or 2022 World Cup of soccer.
FIFA, soccer’s world governing body, will choose host nations for both tournaments in December from formal bids submitted in May. Being on the list of 18 cities does not guarantee hosting matches if the United States is awarded 2018 or 2022, but at least 10 and probably 12 will.
The biggest issue for San Diego is not hotels or restaurants or tourist infrastructure or weather or training facilities or a large soccer following or experience hosting large sports events. It has all that. The problem is the venue. Qualcomm Stadium would be 55 years old in 2022, the tournament the United States most likely would get (a European candidate is favored for 2018).
The Q meets FIFA regulations in terms of capacity and field width, but only one of the other 17 cities — Los Angeles — has older stadiums. And Los Angeles is widely expected to have a new NFL stadium by 2018 to go with the L.A. Memorial Coliseum and Pasadena’s Rose Bowl, which hosted the finals of both the 1994 World Cup and 1999 Women’s World Cup.
Will the Chargers have a new stadium in time?
It’s an issue the U.S. bid committee has been following closely and likely could tip the scales for or against San Diego.
Other cities announced yesterday: Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Miami, Nashville, New York, Philadelphia, Tampa and Washington, D.C.
The most notable absences are Chicago, the headquarters of the U.S. Soccer federation, and the San Francisco Bay Area, which hosted games in the 1994 World Cup. Two other 1994 hosts, Detroit and Orlando, were also among the nine locales eliminated yesterday.

kpexpress Jan 13, 2010 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.DviaPhilly (Post 4648301)
Pretty cool and could be another reason for a new stadium....hopefully downtown

By Mark Zeigler, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 1:36 p.m.
Related news:

Chicago, San Francisco get World Cup boot

San Diego moved a step closer Tuesday to hosting the planet’s most popular sporting event when it was included in a list of 18 finalists that will be part of the U.S. bid for the 2018 or 2022 World Cup of soccer.
FIFA, soccer’s world governing body, will choose host nations for both tournaments in December from formal bids submitted in May. Being on the list of 18 cities does not guarantee hosting matches if the United States is awarded 2018 or 2022, but at least 10 and probably 12 will.
The biggest issue for San Diego is not hotels or restaurants or tourist infrastructure or weather or training facilities or a large soccer following or experience hosting large sports events. It has all that. The problem is the venue. Qualcomm Stadium would be 55 years old in 2022, the tournament the United States most likely would get (a European candidate is favored for 2018).
The Q meets FIFA regulations in terms of capacity and field width, but only one of the other 17 cities — Los Angeles — has older stadiums. And Los Angeles is widely expected to have a new NFL stadium by 2018 to go with the L.A. Memorial Coliseum and Pasadena’s Rose Bowl, which hosted the finals of both the 1994 World Cup and 1999 Women’s World Cup.
Will the Chargers have a new stadium in time?
It’s an issue the U.S. bid committee has been following closely and likely could tip the scales for or against San Diego.
Other cities announced yesterday: Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Miami, Nashville, New York, Philadelphia, Tampa and Washington, D.C.
The most notable absences are Chicago, the headquarters of the U.S. Soccer federation, and the San Francisco Bay Area, which hosted games in the 1994 World Cup. Two other 1994 hosts, Detroit and Orlando, were also among the nine locales eliminated yesterday.

Does it say why SF and Chi were eliminated?

OneMetropolis Jan 14, 2010 3:51 AM

Wow Chicago just isn't getting a break. First the Olympics now this.

TonyAnderson Jan 14, 2010 3:55 AM

And that's if the U.S were to get it, as they're going up against many other countries still.

HurricaneHugo Jan 14, 2010 6:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyAnderson (Post 4649257)
And that's if the U.S were to get it, as they're going up against many other countries still.

At this point, it's basically the US and Australia for the 2022 WC.

dl3000 Jan 14, 2010 4:31 PM

Shit man I am really beginning to think Voice of Reason is a legitimate troll. I don't see what he gets from reading this forum and he certainly brings nothing to the table but negativity and mockery. I won't even begin to go into the ignorant stereotypes in there.

That would be awesome if a world cup bid pushed for a new stadium, but I still think Super Bowls would be more enticing since theyre more frequent and I'm guessing almost if not equally profitable.

S.DviaPhilly Jan 14, 2010 6:29 PM

Stadium downtown gets first green light!

http://signonsandiego.com/news/2010/...t-green-light/

DOWNTOWN SAN DIEGO — San Diego’s downtown redevelopment arm yesterday secured the first approval in a series it needs to spend larger amounts of money repairing blight downtown.
Chief among the beneficiaries of the effort would be the San Diego Chargers. The team wants to build a football stadium downtown and needs hundreds of millions of dollars of public money for a venue that could cost up to $800 million.
The Budget/Finance & Administration Committee of the Centre City Development Corp. voted 5-0 yesterday morning, with Director Steven Relyea absent, to embark on a process that could take 15 to 18 months.
CCDC Chairman Fred Maas equated yesterday’s first step to “asking our doctor if we may start the arduous process of training for a marathon.”
Maas said the effort to lift a cap on how much money could be redirected downtown in the form of future property tax revenue owes its momentum to one factor above all else: Plans backed by Mayor Jerry Sanders and the team to build a stadium on land bounded by Imperial Avenue and 14th, 16th and K streets.
“It’s about a stadium,” Maas said after yesterday’s meeting. “But it’s about things bigger than a stadium.”
Under state law, the CCDC could spend nearly $2.9 billion repairing blight and rebuilding downtown through 2043, but officials expect to hit that cap in 2023 or 2024.
Under the cap, they estimate they have $386 million of discretionary spending for a list of anticipated projects.
They don’t yet know how much more money they’ll need for an updated list.
They estimate it will cost $500,000 to hire lawyers, economists, engineers and soil experts to figure that out and to prepare reports required by state redevelopment law to appeal the agency’s cap.
The full CCDC board will take up the issue Jan. 27 and the council is expected
to consider greenlighting the appeals process next month.
Only two people addressed the CCDC committee yesterday.
Jason Everitt of the Center on Policy Initiatives, a local labor-friendly think tank, said the CCDC should be mindful of creating quality local jobs.
Gary Smith, president of the San Diego Downtown Residents Group, advised CCDC officials not to forget downtown’s current needs by focusing on new projects.
Because of another commitment, Councilman Kevin Faulconer showed up to speak at the hearing a few moments after it ended. In a letter to Maas Monday, Faulconer, whose council district includes downtown, urged fast action.
“We have a duty to see this plan through to completion,” he wrote.
Lifting the cap requires the blessing of the City Council, the state departments of Finance and Housing and Community Development and four government entities that have tax-sharing agreements with the CCDC.
They are the county, the San Diego County Office of Education, the San Diego Unified School District and the San Diego Community College District.
Maas said he and Frank Alessi, CCDC’s executive vice president and chief financial officer, discussed the issue once with county chief administrative officer Walt Ekard and are scheduling meetings with the other agencies.

pesto Jan 15, 2010 12:37 AM

maybe SD could get the Nepal vs. Bhutan match. I hear their fans are pretty calm. The chanting is deadly though.

Derek Jan 15, 2010 5:40 AM

:laugh:

Good news about the stadium though. Let's hope for more...

kpexpress Jan 18, 2010 9:57 AM

So how about that new stadium now?

brantw Jan 18, 2010 3:58 PM

:(

eburress Jan 18, 2010 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4654712)
So how about that new stadium now?

hahaha - the Chargers didn't help their case!

OneMetropolis Jan 18, 2010 8:24 PM

:previous: So typical. All the hype, than a loss. And the most famed cliché to follow it "there's always next year,"