SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

JHikka Sep 20, 2021 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9397985)
University sports should probably be up there too, in addition to the other stuff that CBC is already doing.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/cbc-sports...ship-1.6180936

CBC Sports to broadcast all U Sports national championships
CBC Sports · Posted: Sep 20, 2021 1:00 PM ET
Multi-year deal highlighted by return of Vanier Cup in December on CBC-TV

Every U Sports national championship is set to be broadcast on CBC Sports.

The sides announced a four-year agreement on Monday, which includes the English-language broadcast 2021 Vanier Cup exclusively on CBC-TV.

Digital coverage will be available for all championships on CBCSports.ca, the CBC Sports app and the free CBC Gem streaming service.

"These U SPORTS championship events offer the opportunity for audiences to see some of the top high-performance athletes in the country in action on a national stage," said Chris Wilson, the executive director of CBC Sports and CBC Olympics.

The national championships each year will be evenly split between men's and women's sports, which Wilson says further cements CBC Sports' commitment to gender equality.

CBC Sports carried six national championships live in the 2019-20 season.


Schedule
Fall sports
Women's rugby, Nov. 10-14
Women's field hockey, Nov. 11-14
Men's soccer, Nov. 18-21
Women's soccer, Nov. 18-21
Men's and women's cross-country, Nov. 20
Vanier Cup, Dec. 4

Winter sports
Men's and women's wrestling, Feb. 25-26
Men's and women's swimming, Feb. 25-27
Men's and women's track and field, Mar. 10-12
Women's basketball, Mar. 10-13
Men's basketball, Mar. 11-13
Men's and women's curling, Mar. 15-19
Men's hockey, Mar. 17-20
Women's hockey, Mar. 24-27
Men's volleyball, Mar. 25-27
Women's volleyball, Mar. 25-27

Acajack Sep 20, 2021 5:54 PM

Nice to see the CBC getting more serious about doing its job.

HomeInMyShoes Sep 20, 2021 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9398571)
Well... it's only two games so somebody had to get the shaft. If it's any consolation, neither of the Manitoba teams are being featured on CBC either.

The selection of WHL teams is not surprising... Connor Bedard of the Regina Pats is the best known WHL player so you knew his team would be included, the other game has one of the biggest WHL markets, Calgary.

Connor who? All we're talking about is Cole Carrier who scored a hat trick of short-handed goals against Prince Albert in the preseason here. :haha:

VANRIDERFAN Sep 20, 2021 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9401713)
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/cbc-sports...ship-1.6180936

CBC Sports to broadcast all U Sports national championships
CBC Sports · Posted: Sep 20, 2021 1:00 PM ET
Multi-year deal highlighted by return of Vanier Cup in December on CBC-TV

Every U Sports national championship is set to be broadcast on CBC Sports.

The sides announced a four-year agreement on Monday, which includes the English-language broadcast 2021 Vanier Cup exclusively on CBC-TV.

Digital coverage will be available for all championships on CBCSports.ca, the CBC Sports app and the free CBC Gem streaming service.

"These U SPORTS championship events offer the opportunity for audiences to see some of the top high-performance athletes in the country in action on a national stage," said Chris Wilson, the executive director of CBC Sports and CBC Olympics.

The national championships each year will be evenly split between men's and women's sports, which Wilson says further cements CBC Sports' commitment to gender equality.

CBC Sports carried six national championships live in the 2019-20 season.


Good to see, since Sportsnet did such a crappy job and TSN is even worse.

Now if they could broadcast regular season games as well.

esquire Sep 20, 2021 6:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 9401736)
Good to see, since Sportsnet did such a crappy job and TSN is even worse.

Now if they could broadcast regular season games as well.

This is great news. The CBC is not the greatest at building buzz but you know at least they'll do it properly when it comes to their coverage.

I am looking forward to the hockey and football championships for sure, I would watch basketball and volleyball too if one of the local teams was in it.

MonctonRad Sep 20, 2021 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9401717)
Nice to see the CBC getting more serious about doing its job.

Indeed. This is what CBC is designed to do. :tup:

Jammon Sep 20, 2021 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 9401771)
Indeed. This is what CBC is designed to do. :tup:

I agree. I have a friend who works for CBC in program development (for a lack of better words) and he quite simply said that CBC needs to stick to Canadian programming and quit looking for the next Schitt's Creek.

thurmas Sep 25, 2021 2:39 PM

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/cfl-...p-from-week-6/

Here are the official numbers provided by TSN and BellMedia for Week’s 7 CFL games;

WEEK 7 CFL ON TSN TV RATINGS
– The CFL ON TSN Week 7 games attracted an average audience of 566,000 viewers on TSN, an increase of +29% compared to Week 7 in 2019

– Overall, the 2021 CFL ON TSN season has attracted an average audience of 551,000 viewers, an increase of +14% compared to the same point in the 2019 season

– The Toronto / Saskatchewan game on Friday night was the most-watched game of the week, averaging 684,000 viewers

– Below are the average audiences for CFL ON TSN games this past weekend:

Friday, 9/17: Calgary / Hamilton averaged 496,000 viewers

Friday, 9/17: Toronto / Saskatchewan averaged 684,000 viewers

Saturday, 9/18: BC / Montreal averaged 465,000 viewers

Saturday, 9/18: Winnipeg / Edmonton averaged 593,000 viewers

JHikka Sep 27, 2021 7:02 PM

https://prsevens.com/tsn-partners-wi...ers-october-9/

TSN PARTNERS WITH PREMIER RUGBY SEVENS TO DELIVER INAUGURAL GAMES FOR CANADIAN VIEWERS, OCTOBER 9

(TORONTO, Sept. 27, 2021) Premier Rugby Sevens (PR7s), the all-new professional rugby league making its debut with top North American men’s and women’s players on Saturday, Oct. 9, announced today that TSN is the league’s official Canadian television broadcast partner. The league’s launch event, dubbed The PR7s Inaugural Championship, includes nine Canadian players and two Canadian coaches. The inaugural men’s and women’s tournaments are available to TSN and TSN Direct subscribers in Canada on Saturday, Oct. 9 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET on TSN.ca and the TSN app, and from 4 – 6 p.m. ET on TSN4.

Premier Rugby Sevens (PR7s) is a groundbreaking professional sports league in North America. Scheduled to debut in the Fall of 2021, PR7s is the first league of its kind with both women’s teams and men’s teams under one umbrella with equal pay. With a focus on accessibility and entertaining content for fans, the league will showcase the electrifying sport of rugby sevens through a single-day touring format in cities across the United States and Canada. The PR7s Inaugural Championship will take place in Memphis on Oct. 9 and will be available via FOX Sports. To learn more about Premier Rugby Sevens, go to PRSevens.com and follow the league on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Denscity Sep 27, 2021 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9398583)
Aside from what esquire pointed out, these are only the first six games of their slate. Pitchforks down, etc.

I would assume Vancouver vs Victoria would draw more people than Saint John and Drummondville? And I would think 5 million people in BC would get us something to start.

JHikka Sep 27, 2021 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9408635)
I would assume Vancouver vs Victoria would draw more people than Saint John and Drummondville? And I would think 5 million people in BC would get us something to start.

In the first six weeks it appears not, and until we get some insight we don't know how ratings really pan out. Saint John is hosting the Memorial Cup this year, which is why they're included, as well as generally being a pretty strong team.

Denscity Sep 27, 2021 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9408638)
In the first six weeks it appears not, and until we get some insight we don't know how ratings really pan out. Saint John is hosting the Memorial Cup this year, which is why they're included, as well as generally being a pretty strong team.

Ya and I realize S J is not a small town either.
Ontario got 3 games perhaps it should've been 2.
I grew up with BC being shown nowhere nationally so had to point it out yet again.
The national news is always about some other province despite our population. So we'd rather hang out with Seattle than Toronto.

JHikka Sep 27, 2021 7:27 PM

Sept 24
MLB - Jays/Twins: 756k (SN)
CFL - BC/SAK: 618k (TSN)
CFL - TOR/MTL: 339k (TSN)

Sept 25
MLB - Jays/Twins: 950k (SN)
NHL - Leafs/Habs: 635k (SN1)

Sept 26
MLB - Jays/Twins: 842k (SN)
NFL - SNF: 829k (TSN+CTV2)
NFL Late: 597k (CTV)
NFL Early: 420k (CTV)
F1 - Russian GP: 349k (TSN)


https://twitter.com/AHBSeaborn/statu...70382712639491

F1 numbers continue to be good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9408654)
Ya and I realize S J is not a small town either.
Ontario got 3 games perhaps it should've been 2.
I grew up with BC being shown nowhere nationally so had to point it out yet again.
The national news is always about some other province despite our population. So we'd rather hang out with Seattle than Toronto.

Ok.

JHikka Sep 29, 2021 9:04 PM

1.288M for Jays/Yankees last night on SN.

28,769 in attendance as the first game with increased capacity.

VANRIDERFAN Oct 2, 2021 4:28 PM

CBC GEM will be showing the GeeGees vs Ravens Panda game today from Ottawa. Nice to see the public broadcaster stepping up!

esquire Oct 2, 2021 9:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 9413437)
CBC GEM will be showing the GeeGees vs Ravens Panda game today from Ottawa. Nice to see the public broadcaster stepping up!

They had the Pats and Raiders WHL game on the main network which was also great. I only caught one period because I had to take my kid to his hockey game, but I was pretty impressed from what I saw... Brandt Centre looks good on TV, the production was top notch and I liked Sam Cosentino on the broadcast, he is very knowledgable. Connor Bedard got the last goal to make it 5-2, so the golden boy even had his moment on national TV.

The Pats shouldn't have worn their new red alternates though, they look like they're wearing practice jerseys. They would have been better off wearing the ones with their actual team logo on the front.

JHikka Oct 4, 2021 1:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9413611)
The Pats shouldn't have worn their new red alternates though, they look like they're wearing practice jerseys. They would have been better off wearing the ones with their actual team logo on the front.

I'm guessing the Raiders didn't wear the thirds that they officially had for less a day before the WHL and Hockey Canada forbid them from wearing and promoting. :haha:

esquire Oct 4, 2021 1:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9414559)
I'm guessing the Raiders didn't wear the thirds that they officially had for less a day before the WHL and Hockey Canada forbid them from wearing and promoting. :haha:

Awkward! Some things are best left in the past. (Although I would like to know how Shawinigan gets a pass, they'll be on CBC this weekend...)

The Raiders did not wear their infamous thirds although it does seem to me that teams seldom if ever wear thirds/alternates while on the road? I'm hard pressed to think of any instances where I've seen that happen.

JHikka Oct 4, 2021 2:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9414617)
Awkward! Some things are best left in the past. (Although I would like to know how Shawinigan gets a pass, they'll be on CBC this weekend...)

Lack of media coverage outside of Quebec with Quebec media seeing no issue with it? I recall going to a game in Shawinigan a few years ago and being pretty taken aback.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9414617)
The Raiders did not wear their infamous thirds although it does seem to me that teams seldom if ever wear thirds/alternates while on the road? I'm hard pressed to think of any instances where I've seen that happen.

My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek. The Raiders were rightly told to forget about them, but the amount of people these sorts of things have to go through for approval (including the WHL's blessing) is mind-numbing. They still have their mascot, IIRC, as does Shawinigan.

Acajack Oct 4, 2021 2:22 PM

There has been some debate in Quebec but it has not gone over the top.

Interesting how the Chicago Blackhawks have been largely spared all of this.

Best looking jersey in all of sports BTW...

samne Oct 4, 2021 2:30 PM

Went to a Jays game Friday night . They filled the more expensive lower 100 and 200 levels to capacity. It was shoulder to shoulder and virtually nobody wearing masks in the seating area. It was an awesome experience to be back and the atmosphere was incredible. Everyone enjoying themselves. Jays night games are a party.

MonctonRad Oct 4, 2021 2:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samne (Post 9414644)
Went to a Jays game Friday night . They filled the more expensive lower 100 and 200 levels to capacity. It was shoulder to shoulder and virtually nobody wearing masks in the seating area. It was an awesome experience to be back and the atmosphere was incredible. Everyone enjoying themselves. Jays night games are a party.

The Jays have a special team right now - very exciting. I've been watching Jays games on TV for the last few weeks (I've been mostly ignoring baseball the last few years), and they have me hooked.

I've been to at least a half dozen Jays games over the years, and pandemic willing, I'll be flying up to Toronto next summer for a weekend series with my youngest son.

Go Jays!

thewave46 Oct 4, 2021 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 9414647)
The Jays have a special team right now - very exciting. I've been watching Jays games on TV for the last few weeks (I've been mostly ignoring baseball the last few years), and they have me hooked.

I've been to at least a half dozen Jays games over the years, and pandemic willing, I'll be flying up to Toronto next summer for a weekend series with my youngest son.

Go Jays!

I'd say you're about a month late to the bandwagon as they just got eliminated from the wild card race yesterday. Alas, being in the AL East will do that to a middling team.

This season does bode well for the next. That should be pretty exciting.

esquire Oct 4, 2021 2:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9414634)
Lack of media coverage outside of Quebec with Quebec media seeing no issue with it? I recall going to a game in Shawinigan a few years ago and being pretty taken aback.

My son plays hockey and he loves jerseys so I'm always keeping my eyes open for good deals... I remember Shawinigan had a good Black Friday deal on their sweaters but I couldn't do it... unlike the PA third jersey that could earn you at worst a harsh rebuke on Twitter, wearing that Cataractes jersey in Winnipeg could get you into a fight, and understandably so :haha:

To Acajack's point though, yeah, it is odd that the Blackhawks don't get much heat on that front. I guess they're so familiar that people don't even notice them anymore.

JHikka Oct 4, 2021 3:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9414665)
My son plays hockey and he loves jerseys so I'm always keeping my eyes open for good deals... I remember Shawinigan had a good Black Friday deal on their sweaters but I couldn't do it... unlike the PA third jersey that could earn you at worst a harsh rebuke on Twitter, wearing that Cataractes jersey in Winnipeg could get you into a fight, and understandably so :haha:

I don't think the current Shawinigan brand is long for this world, especially considering that their previous brand is pretty sharp, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire
To Acajack's point though, yeah, it is odd that the Blackhawks don't get much heat on that front. I guess they're so familiar that people don't even notice them anymore.

The Hawks get plenty of heat, they just usually deflect it by saying that they have tacit approval from local tribes, which is usually the default ruling in the US.

Besides, people are too busy these days giving them heat over sexual assault and abuse from past coaches and the general negligence of the organization to pay much mind to their branding at the moment.

The Winterhawks have shed the Blackhawks branding and I know a youth association in Toronto has been phasing it out over the past few years. Brockville probably won't last much longer with theirs. It'll happen eventually to Chicago, and likely be replaced with their alternate C logo which is also pretty nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewave46
Alas, being in the AL East will do that to a middling team.

Good to know that 91 wins is middling in the MLB these days. If they have a full season in Toronto (and with Springer) they likely easily get into the wildcard. It is what it is.

thewave46 Oct 4, 2021 3:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9414672)
Good to know that 91 wins is middling in the MLB these days. If they have a full season in Toronto (and with Springer) they likely easily get into the wildcard. It is what it is.

It's middling in the AL East, as they ended up 4th. I suppose the middle is pretty big in that division this season. It would have clinched them a playoff spot in the NL East.

Such is baseball.

kel Oct 5, 2021 1:37 AM

It will be a sad day when the Blackhawks decide to part ways with their current logo which I personally believe is the best in sports.

Djeffery Oct 5, 2021 1:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewave46 (Post 9414681)
It's middling in the AL East, as they ended up 4th. I suppose the middle is pretty big in that division this season. It would have clinched them a playoff spot in the NL East.

Such is baseball.

The AL East had 4 teams over .500, the entire NL had 7. That said, the Dodgers won 106 and were second place in their division lol.

elly63 Oct 5, 2021 11:40 PM

OUA announces two-year digital partnership with CBC Sports
oua.ca October 1 2021

Burlington, Ont. – Ontario University Athletics (OUA) is pleased to announce a two-year digital partnership agreement with CBC Sports.

Through this partnership, fans will be able to enjoy 13 of the conference’s championships online via CBC Sports’ digital platforms, cbcsports.ca, the CBC Sports app for iOS and Android devices, and the free CBC Gem streaming service.

The OUA’s banner season events making their way to the CBC Sports platforms include those for men’s and women’s basketball, football, men’s and women’s hockey, women’s rugby, men’s and women’s soccer, swimming, track and field, men’s and women’s volleyball, and wrestling.

Kicking off the partnership is the 2021 edition of the Panda Game. Fans will be able to live stream the highly-anticipated regular season tilt between the Ottawa Gee-Gees and Carleton Ravens, which hits the gridiron on Saturday, October 2 at 12 p.m. ET from TD Place in Ottawa.

“Coming together with CBC Sports is a significant step for university sport in Ontario,” said Gord Grace, OUA President & CEO. “Having the ability to showcase the incredible talent of our student-athletes through CBC Sports’ digital platforms offers an exciting opportunity, not only for the OUA and its member institutions, but for fans of university sport looking to enjoy the elite level of competition it provides. We look forward to bringing these marquee events to both CBC Sports and CBC Gem.”

jonny24 Oct 6, 2021 12:07 PM

Once again men's rugby gets fucked by the presence of men's football...

elly63 Oct 7, 2021 12:13 PM

Not sure what this means but I doubt if there is anything "free" about it. You probably have to be paying for Sportsnet already in one way or another.

Sportsnet relaunches SN NOW with refreshed user interface, new subscription options
Sportsnet Staff @Sportsnet October 1, 2021

SN NOW Free is available 24/7 at no charge, beginning Oct. 12 with select live events every week. SN NOW Free also includes next day replays, VOD, and original content such as Plays of The Month, Gotta See it, NHL’s Best, and Kes’ House.

esquire Oct 7, 2021 1:34 PM

^ With a product like that I could see them having a free tier, but you have to pay if you want to get the good stuff, whatever that might be.

elly63 Oct 7, 2021 6:34 PM

As the article said there are paid tiers but I just wonder what you have to have to get the free tier.

esquire Oct 10, 2021 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9414617)
Awkward! Some things are best left in the past. (Although I would like to know how Shawinigan gets a pass, they'll be on CBC this weekend...)

Shawinigan dodged the issue by wearing an alternate jersey with a big S on the front.

https://cdn.theqmjhl.ca/archive/qmjh...ls-730x411.jpg

The other logo was pretty visible in the faceoff circle at centre ice, though.

JHikka Oct 12, 2021 3:29 PM

And they didn't use their current logo in the 50th Anniversary crest, so it looks like they're doing a slow rebrand and phasing things out.

Acajack Oct 12, 2021 9:13 PM

I still think the logo on the left looks fantastic, though of course I realize that it's not acceptable in the current climate.

Denscity Oct 12, 2021 9:40 PM

Dumb question. What Is a Cataracte?

Acajack Oct 12, 2021 9:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9421956)
Dumb question. What Is a Cataracte?

A waterfall. Nothing to do with your eyes. Unless you're using them to view the falls.

Cataracte, which evokes the Spanish word for waterfall (cataratas) is not the most commonly used word in French, though. Everyone says "chute(s)" these days.

Another alternative word for waterfall in French is the archaic "sault" which is found in lots of place names.

Denscity Oct 12, 2021 9:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9421958)
A waterfall. Nothing to do with your eyes. Unless you're using them to view the falls.

Ok thank you. Which leads me to the next question.
What is the corellation between a waterfall and a traditional head dress?

Acajack Oct 12, 2021 9:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9421959)
Ok thank you. Which leads me to the next question.
What is the corellation between a waterfall and a traditional head dress?

Absolutely nothing.

Denscity Oct 12, 2021 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9421971)
Absolutely nothing.

Ok haha cheers.

JHikka Oct 14, 2021 6:34 PM

October 13
Leafs/Habs (SN) 1.387M
Oilers/Canucks (SM) 1.045M
Canada/Panama (SN1) 338K

https://twitter.com/AHBSeaborn/statu...99816230465548

thurmas Oct 14, 2021 11:15 PM

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/cfl-...atings-on-tsn/

Week 10 in the CFL had five games on their schedule starting last Wednesday and ending on Monday with a Thanksgiving Day doubleheader.

Through the first nine weeks of the 2021 season. The CFL has averaged 518,000 viewers per game. This season’s high watermark for the league occurred in Week 2, where the league averaged 574,000 viewers per telecast. The low point of the CFL’s TV ratings on TSN was in Week 8, as the league’s games averaged 431,000 viewers

Week 10 CFL On TSN TV Ratings
Wednesday’s 10/6 game between the Ottawa Redblacks and Toronto Argnauts averaged 325,000 viewers.

Friday’s 10/8 contest featuring the the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Edmonton Elks averaged 581,000 viewers.

Saturday’s 10/9 Western division battle between the Calgary Stampeders and Saskatchewan Roughriders drew 674,000 viewers
. To no one’s surprise, week in and week out, Saskatchewan has produced the CFL’s best viewership figures.

Monday’s early game on TSN between the Montreal Alouettes and the Ottawa Redblacks averaged 323,000 viewers.

Week 10’s thrilling last second finale at 4pm ET featuring the Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats averaged 597,000 viewers.

By comparison, the Monday night NFL overtime thriller on TSN between the Baltimore Ravens and Indianapolis Colts resgistered 596,000 viewers.

thurmas Oct 14, 2021 11:20 PM

Rod Black is gone from TSN

https://3downnation.com/2021/10/14/l...oodbye-to-tsn/

Djeffery Oct 14, 2021 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 9424236)

He spent a few minutes this evening talking to podcaster Toronto Mike in episode 932 (for those wanting to look it up). He says this isn't a sudden dismissal, that it's been in the works for a while (which is what many of them seem to say, so who really knows). He talks like he looks forward to what's next, but doesn't specify what that is, so while he didn't get walked to the door and disappear from any mentions, it also sounds like it wasn't his decision to end it either.

thurmas Oct 14, 2021 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djeffery (Post 9424265)
He spent a few minutes this evening talking to podcaster Toronto Mike in episode 932 (for those wanting to look it up). He says this isn't a sudden dismissal, that it's been in the works for a while (which is what many of them seem to say, so who really knows). He talks like he looks forward to what's next, but doesn't specify what that is, so while he didn't get walked to the door and disappear from any mentions, it also sounds like it wasn't his decision to end it either.

Likely the continuation of Bell letting go of senior long term anchors who they felt were too expensive to keep paying from similar layoffs last year.

jonny24 Oct 15, 2021 2:38 AM

Canada lost their 2-leg Rugby World Cup Qualifier to Chile, 22-21 for Canada at home and 33-24 win for Chile at home. By losing, Canada misses out on the RWC for the first time ever (since it started in 1987).

We beat Chile 56-0 in 2019.

Now, the South American nations are rapidly improving, I don't want to take away from them.

But this is an exceptionally low point in Canadian Rugby history. At one point were ranked 11th in the world, and have fallen pretty much non stop for the last 5 or 6 years and now sit at 23rd. We've utterly failed to adapt to professionalism.

Perhaps more importantly than the prestige and awareness that comes with attending the WC, we now lose out on high performance funding from World Rugby. I have no idea what the effects of that will be, but it will surely make it even harder to get back to respectability.

I'm mostly worried about how this affects the grassroots. When Rugby Canada had to play in the last-ditch Repechage tournament to qualify for the 2019 World Cup, Rugby Canada jacked the dues up $20 for every amateur player in the country to pay for it.

JHikka Oct 27, 2021 4:59 PM

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...rnational.aspx

Nineteen NFL teams bid for int'l marketing rights
BY BEN FISCHER
10.26.2021

NEW YORK -- Nineteen NFL clubs submitted 28 different bids for international business rights as part of the league’s plan to allow teams to sign marketing and media agreements in foreign countries, according to a league source. The most bids were submitted for Mexico, followed by the U.K. at No. 2 and Germany at No. 3. Five other countries are being pursued by at least one other team: Canada, Brazil, Australia, China and an undisclosed European country that isn’t Ireland, the source said. Teams will find out by December who gets which markets. This will be the first time NFL teams will be allowed to work in foreign countries in the same manner they can develop revenue and fan engagement in their domestic home markets. Historically, the league has centrally controlled global rights.

The source said league execs are pleased with the number and distribution of bids, along with the overall quality of the proposals. Before the September deadline to apply, there had been some ambivalence among teams for the international program, questioning whether the return was worth the effort. Teams with a robust, well-developed business in their home markets will have an advantage in their pursuit of international markets.

Separately, the source said things are “looking good” for launching the NFL’s first regular-season game in Germany in '22, but stopped short of confirming it will be that soon. The league has selected finalist cities for hosting rights, but has hedged on whether it would happen in ’22 or ’23.


Emphasis added mine.

--

Anyone want to take a swing at which team(s) bid for Canada rights? Can't think of any that would make logical sense outside of Buffalo.

Acajack Oct 27, 2021 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9435362)
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...rnational.aspx

Nineteen NFL teams bid for int'l marketing rights
BY BEN FISCHER
10.26.2021

NEW YORK -- Nineteen NFL clubs submitted 28 different bids for international business rights as part of the league’s plan to allow teams to sign marketing and media agreements in foreign countries, according to a league source. The most bids were submitted for Mexico, followed by the U.K. at No. 2 and Germany at No. 3. Five other countries are being pursued by at least one other team: Canada, Brazil, Australia, China and an undisclosed European country that isn’t Ireland, the source said. Teams will find out by December who gets which markets. This will be the first time NFL teams will be allowed to work in foreign countries in the same manner they can develop revenue and fan engagement in their domestic home markets. Historically, the league has centrally controlled global rights.

The source said league execs are pleased with the number and distribution of bids, along with the overall quality of the proposals. Before the September deadline to apply, there had been some ambivalence among teams for the international program, questioning whether the return was worth the effort. Teams with a robust, well-developed business in their home markets will have an advantage in their pursuit of international markets.

Separately, the source said things are “looking good” for launching the NFL’s first regular-season game in Germany in '22, but stopped short of confirming it will be that soon. The league has selected finalist cities for hosting rights, but has hedged on whether it would happen in ’22 or ’23.


Emphasis added mine.

--

Anyone want to take a swing at which team(s) bid for Canada rights? Can't think of any that would make logical sense outside of Buffalo.

Seattle of course.

thurmas Oct 27, 2021 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9435362)
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...rnational.aspx

Nineteen NFL teams bid for int'l marketing rights
BY BEN FISCHER
10.26.2021

NEW YORK -- Nineteen NFL clubs submitted 28 different bids for international business rights as part of the league’s plan to allow teams to sign marketing and media agreements in foreign countries, according to a league source. The most bids were submitted for Mexico, followed by the U.K. at No. 2 and Germany at No. 3. Five other countries are being pursued by at least one other team: Canada, Brazil, Australia, China and an undisclosed European country that isn’t Ireland, the source said. Teams will find out by December who gets which markets. This will be the first time NFL teams will be allowed to work in foreign countries in the same manner they can develop revenue and fan engagement in their domestic home markets. Historically, the league has centrally controlled global rights.

The source said league execs are pleased with the number and distribution of bids, along with the overall quality of the proposals. Before the September deadline to apply, there had been some ambivalence among teams for the international program, questioning whether the return was worth the effort. Teams with a robust, well-developed business in their home markets will have an advantage in their pursuit of international markets.

Separately, the source said things are “looking good” for launching the NFL’s first regular-season game in Germany in '22, but stopped short of confirming it will be that soon. The league has selected finalist cities for hosting rights, but has hedged on whether it would happen in ’22 or ’23.


Emphasis added mine.

--

Anyone want to take a swing at which team(s) bid for Canada rights? Can't think of any that would make logical sense outside of Buffalo.

Vikings for Manitoba business


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.