SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

Acajack Apr 19, 2018 7:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin (Post 8160792)
But is that not also the case in Canada? Are hockey ratings or interest or participation in Canada really in some sort of tailspin, as you seem to be implying? Or, even declining at all? Or is what is it what's actually happening is that the growth of "new" sports like basketball and soccer are simply rising at a faster rate?






Like who? Who really sits through a 2 hour game because of some sort of deep-rooted cultural cringe that's causing an aversion to a completely different sport? Who's even cheering on this supposed demise of hockey? I think you're reading way too much into the fact that people just like basketball (and also if we're being honest, that the NBA has marketed themselves to young people far more successfully than other leagues).

That's a lot of people with a deep-seated basketball culture:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bmzwhv8IUAEobi2.jpg:large

suburbanite Apr 19, 2018 7:42 PM

In my experience most disdain for hockey is a result of it dominating media coverage over someone's preferred sport.

I'm a regular visitor to the Raptors and Blue Jays subreddits, and for the most part your typical visitor is a fan (at least casually) of the 3 big teams in the city. However, you do come across the odd post trashing the Leafs and their fans. There is a large population of Raptors fans in the community from across Canada so it could be them just supporting their local NHL team. Though it often comes across as "Fuck the Leafs, people should be coming out to support the Raptors and TSN should be giving them more coverage."

suburbanite Apr 19, 2018 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8160810)
That's a lot of people with a deep-seated basketball culture:

What's your counterpoint? They're only there so they can post it on Instagram?

osmo Apr 19, 2018 7:45 PM

NFL is not the classic American game. NFL (modern) was created for the TV age and is much a product of modern Americana just as much as Disney was. The classic American game is very much baseball. That is the sport the nation grew up with and is largely the sport interwoven into classic USA history. NFL was not taken seriously in America up until the 1970s.

Acajack Apr 19, 2018 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osmo (Post 8160816)
NFL is not the classic American game. NFL (modern) was created for the TV age and is much a product of modern Americana just as much as Disney was. The classic American game is very much baseball. That is the sport the nation grew up with and is largely the sport interwoven into classic USA history. NFL was not taken seriously in America up until the 1970s.

Kinda like... hockey in Canada. :haha:

Acajack Apr 19, 2018 7:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8160814)
What's your counterpoint? They're only there so they can post it on Instagram?

A lot of them - for sure. Bandwagons are fun. I've been on them many times before.

For the record I'm not any more impressed by the dead suits who occupy lots of seats at hockey games, especially in Toronto and Montreal.

suburbanite Apr 19, 2018 8:03 PM

Most of the people in that photo look pretty young, and a large majority look like they could be first or second generation immigrants. There is no doubt that basketball and the Raptors are by far the most popular among kids of East Indian, Chinese, Filipino, and Jamaican descent in Toronto.

Sure, the numbers will probably dwindle if the Raptors decline. However I think the last 5 years have created a solid, permanent fan base among a racially diverse young cohort in this city.

jonny24 Apr 19, 2018 8:45 PM

I think, wherever you might be, the "top sport" will be seen to be eroding, and other "new" or "foreign" sports growing, just because due to the internet people are exposed to sports from all over the world. In theory, it could level out so that there was a proportionate amount of support for any number of sports. That obviously won't happen due to history/culture, etc, but it's not like hockey is going to die because lots of people like basket ball.

I'm clearly an outlier in this thread though. I'm 24, and these days I'm only really interested in CFL and rugby. Never really got into hockey since I never played, but I don't mind watching it. I have no interest in baseball, soccer or basketball though. I've tried to get into NFL but without a connection to any of the teams I have nothing emotionally invested. I've even been dropping off on watching rugby since I don't actually care about any those cities in England/Aus/NZ, and Canada is so terrible now. But the Ontario Arrows will hopefully join MLR next year :cheers:

thurmas Apr 19, 2018 11:03 PM

Interesting that the Winnipeg Blue Bombers draw similar revenue to that of many MLS teams including the New York Red Bulls at $32 million

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-soccer-teams/

https://globalnews.ca/news/4153348/w...-in-the-black/

EpicPonyTime Apr 19, 2018 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 8161147)
Interesting that the Winnipeg Blue Bombers draw similar revenue to that of many MLS teams including the New York Red Bulls at $32 million

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-soccer-teams/

https://globalnews.ca/news/4153348/w...-in-the-black/

I wonder if the profit margins are so narrow for MLS teams, though. If I'm not mistaken, Winnipeg is usually the second best team in the CFL financially after the Riders and they barely made money this year. Can't imagine what the situation is like in Montreal, BC or Toronto.

thurmas Apr 19, 2018 11:57 PM

the bombers situation is unique though as they are paying $1 million a year to charter busses for fans to reach IGF field in the south end of the city until the new rapid transit line is built in 2020 to the stadium. As well the team pays around $ 4 million per year on their stadium loan that they have to finance for the next 35 years. I believe every CFL team is currently profitable except for BC Montreal and Toronto. Teams need to hover around the 22000 attendance figure per game to break even.

elly63 Apr 20, 2018 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 8161218)
the bombers situation is unique though as they are paying $1 million a year to charter busses for fans to reach IGF field in the south end of the city until the new rapid transit line is built in 2020 to the stadium. As well the team pays around $ 4 million per year on their stadium loan that they have to finance for the next 35 years. I believe every CFL team is currently profitable except for BC Montreal and Toronto. Teams need to hover around the 22000 attendance figure per game to break even.

I don't believe there's anything out there about the profitability of the Als or Lions. Even though both are hurting at the gate, at one time the Als had one of the largest sponsorship intakes in the league. A rogue executive really hurt that goodwill several years ago but I believe much of it has been recovered since.

Don't know about the Lions but before the big TSN deals the word was that a team needed around 24k to break even, the CFL's arch nemesis Arash Madani a year or two ago (I can't recall when) said it is now 18k to break even.

Regardless, as I posted in the CFL thread the Bombers had a great year (almost doubling their previous years profit) and if I read correctly are starting to claw back some of that transit money.

The Club alone continues to fund the public transportation program for transit and park and ride services to and from Investors Group Field. The Club has operated the public transportation program since 2013 and has paid for all expenditures related to the program, totalling over $3.8 million. In 2017, Triple B Stadium Inc. formally acknowledged their legal obligation to fund a portion of the public transportation program, retroactive to 2013 and onward. The Club will continue its efforts to recover the payments due from Triple B.

The Club recorded a payment to Triple B of $3.5 million, the Club’s fourth annual scheduled excess cash payment as required by the Club’s Management Agreement with Triple B. This was in addition to paying the City of Winnipeg $1.3 million, which was related to an earlier Winnipeg Enterprises Corporation debt that was assigned to the Club by the City of Winnipeg in 2005

megadude Apr 20, 2018 2:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8160795)
Regarding those office pools - Interesting that interest in the NFL is about as "white" as interest in the NHL.

I've noticed how in Canada at least interest in the NFL among younger generations of immigrant origin kids seems to have dropped off.

When I was a kid in the 80s interest in the NFL was quite high among immigrant kids. Part of a trio that almost all guys followed regardless of origin: NHL-MLB-NFL. Some were also interested in the CFL, but many were not. NBA had its fans but it was more of a niche thing.

Agreed. My general observation is that today's young minorities aren't as into the NFL like my friends and I were at that age. The two Chinese and Lebanese friends I had were also into CFL. The Lebanese one because he first lived in Edmonton before moving to Brampton.

Now, I can't think of a single kid I've come across who is into CFL other than my coworker's fellow Argos season ticket holder friend's son I met at the Grey Cup celebration. He also happens to play tackle football.

And I have been an asst. coach in Halton NFL Flag Football for three seasons now. And been on the other sideline as a spectator for a further four.

One of the cool things about this league is that I got to talk shop and re-hash old memories with Chris Schultz and Bob O'billovich. Obie is a regular. Schultzy was the one time. And surprisingly, even though Pinball lives in Oakville (unless he moved), I haven't come across him yet. Did get to see him speak in a church in Brampton 20 years ago though.

JHikka Apr 20, 2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime (Post 8161162)
I wonder if the profit margins are so narrow for MLS teams, though. If I'm not mistaken, Winnipeg is usually the second best team in the CFL financially after the Riders and they barely made money this year. Can't imagine what the situation is like in Montreal, BC or Toronto.

Profit margins are low because their team valuations are going through the roof. The Impact can lose $3m/year because they're valued at nearly $200M, and rising. Their salary is similar to a CFL team and also rising. Sponsorship has been rising, including a new jersey deal. Jersey sponsors are worth up to $5M/year and stadium sponsorships are similar.

A team like TFC loses something like $5M/year but makes $50M in revenues and spends $20M on player salaries. That $20M is four times the CFL salary cap.

Teams like Winnipeg and Sask are profitable but I imagine that isn't the same story in BC/Montreal, gauging from what we know that's available.

Acajack Apr 20, 2018 1:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megadude (Post 8161393)
Agreed. My general observation is that today's young minorities aren't as into the NFL like my friends and I were at that age. The two Chinese and Lebanese friends I had were also into CFL. The Lebanese one because he first lived in Edmonton before moving to Brampton.
.

A lot of immigrant men I know these days (ages 30-50) actually seem overtly hostile to gridiron football (focusing their scorn on the NFL more than the CFL) and consider it the stupidest sport ever. So obviously this makes their kids less likely to become fans of it.

When I was a teen I don't recall the immigrant dads of my friends being hostile in that way to gridiron football. They were mostly indifferent, maybe in some cases mystified by the allure of a sport with so many stoppages in play. But definitely not hostile.

It was clear for all of my friends' dads that soccer was their preference and most of them also adopted at least a passing interest in hockey - as part of their Canadian integration I suppose. Which, although it hasn't been mentioned on here, is not that difficult a cognitive move to make for a soccer fan given that hockey in some ways is kind of like a faster, higher-scoring soccer with skates on ice. A lot of the aspects of the game are reasonably similar: goalkeepers, nets, offsides, players sent off, player positions, etc.

Anyway I have no idea why such a hostility towards gridiron football has developed like this.

(My sample size in both cases is probably a half-dozen men for each.)

Acajack Apr 20, 2018 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8160811)
In my experience most disdain for hockey is a result of it dominating media coverage over someone's preferred sport.
"

I wonder if a huge mass of rugby fans in the UK want to bring down the EPL because it gets the most media coverage? I wonder if ice hockey fans in Germany want to bring down the Bundesliga because it's always at the top of the sports headlines?

My guess is that most do not. Why is that? Because a lot of those people also happen to be soccer fans too!

Liking more than one thing! What a concept!

That's what normal people are usually like! :P

HomeInMyShoes Apr 20, 2018 2:30 PM

^You're just talking nonsense now. :haha:

Acajack Apr 20, 2018 2:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 8161757)
^You're just talking nonsense now. :haha:

Really? I don't think so...

GlassCity Apr 20, 2018 3:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8161694)
A lot of immigrant men I know these days (ages 30-50) actually seem overtly hostile to gridiron football (focusing their scorn on the NFL more than the CFL) and consider it the stupidest sport ever. So obviously this makes their kids less likely to become fans of it.

When I was a teen I don't recall the immigrant dads of my friends being hostile in that way to gridiron football. They were mostly indifferent, maybe in some cases mystified by the allure of a sport with so many stoppages in play. But definitely not hostile.

It was clear for all of my friends' dads that soccer was their preference and most of them also adopted at least a passing interest in hockey - as part of their Canadian integration I suppose. Which, although it hasn't been mentioned on here, is not that difficult a cognitive move to make for a soccer fan given that hockey in some ways is kind of like a faster, higher-scoring soccer with skates on ice. A lot of the aspects of the game are reasonably similar: goalkeepers, nets, offsides, players sent off, player positions, etc.

Anyway I have no idea why such a hostility towards gridiron football has developed like this.

(My sample size in both cases is probably a half-dozen men for each.)

My dad is like this. Bring up football or baseball and he'll go on a rant about how stupid they are each time. I think it's a matter of closed-mindedness on the part of these kinds of immigrants, who just refuse to give unfamiliar things a chance. As you said, soccer (and in my family's case, hockey) are familiar, but American football and baseball are still largely limited to North America only. So it's unfamiliar, but also I think there's a feeling that because it's only popular here, it can't be good. I've met countless non-North Americans both here and across the world who almost think it's a problem that soccer isn't popular here; it is in the rest of the world, it should be here too.

Also, many immigrants I know, including my own parents, don't fully buy in into the new country's culture. What I mean is that while they're happy to be here and acknowledge all the overwhelming positives of democracy, freedom, safety and so on, there's still a feeling that the home country's culture is not just different, but better. The food is better, the music is better, and yes, the sports are better. Which is understandable - we become attached to what we grow up with, and especially so once nostalgia is added to the mix when we have to leave it behind. But I think this phenomenon might play into what you're saying as well.

I have no idea if the football hostility thing is common in the US too, but to go back to the previous conversation, what I'll finish on is that hockey is one of the strongest aspects of Canadian culture and should be more resistant to these issues. But if it's not, I wonder if it's just that it's relative popularity is dropping, or if people are just less interested in sports these days and that's what creates that impression.

Acajack Apr 20, 2018 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlassCity (Post 8161813)
My dad is like this. Bring up football or baseball and he'll go on a rant about how stupid they are each time. .

Yeah, baseball doesn't get much love from immigrants either. Unless they're from countries with a baseball culture, like some places in Latin America.

esquire Apr 20, 2018 4:09 PM

^ There are a lot of Central and Eastern European immigrants in my family and the only sport they get excited for is soccer. There is at least an awareness of hockey but the rest of the sports world might as well not exist. But it doesn't really translate to antipathy towards other sports... Super Bowl, Grey Cup, NCAA March Madness, etc. are just background noise to be ignored.

Acajack Apr 20, 2018 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlassCity (Post 8161813)

I have no idea if the football hostility thing is common in the US too, .

There is much more pressure in the U.S. to conform to iconic American stuff, and football is a huge part of that. So any hostility to it is likely way more subtle than anything we might see in Canada vis-à-vis hockey. For example, Hispanic Americans (not all of whom are immigrants I realize) have very little football culture inherited from the lands of their forebears and they are HUGELY into gridiron football.

Certainly soccer is growing fast in the U.S. (due at least in part to immigrants) whereas the NFL seems stagnant or even eroding very slowly. I don't think it's anywhere close to the point where this might be an issue though.

elly63 Apr 20, 2018 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8161889)
Yeah, baseball doesn't get much love from immigrants either. Unless they're from countries with a baseball culture, like some places in Latin America.

Way back when, I'd see many posts on the soccer boards from the zealots who heaped scorn on the fat, unathletic baseball players. Of course that scorn instantly transitioned to the CFL when the Argos moved to BMO. Much less now though.

JHikka Apr 21, 2018 2:35 AM

From April 12:
Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8156262)
@BillBriouxTV
THURS o'nites
CBC Leafs-Bruins 2304k
SNet Avs-Nash 480k;

WED o'nites
SNet Jets-Min 1169k
CBC Philly-Pitt 580k
LA-Vegas 598k

From April 16:
@BillBrioux
MON o'nites
CBC Leafs-Bruins Game 3 2380k
SNet TB-NJ 340k
SNet Nash-Avs 508k
SNet360 WWE Raw 340k

From April 19:
@BillBriouxTV
THURS o'nites
CBC Leafs-Bruins 4 2227k
SNet NHL Wash-Col 280k
SNet1 Jays-Yankees 580k

JHikka Apr 21, 2018 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 8161147)
Interesting that the Winnipeg Blue Bombers draw similar revenue to that of many MLS teams including the New York Red Bulls at $32 million

A note on this: Unless i'm mistaken, CFL financials are posted in CAD with MLS financials being posted in USD.

This would mean that, using current exchange rates, $32.5MCAD in revenue by the Blue Bombers would be similar to the $25MUSD revenue put up by the Montreal Impact in the MLS, putting it roughly in the bottom third of MLS revenue. TFC's revenue, posted at $46MUSD, would be $59MCAD. Whitecaps' revenue of $20MUSD would work out to roughly $25MCAD.

This would also mean that, similar to NHL teams, Canadian MLS teams would receive parts of their revenue in Canadian dollars (STHs, Game Day, etc.) and then it's converted to USD (similar to their own TV contracts). They also have to pay salaries in USD, as well, which puts a tighter strain on things considering whatever situation the franchise is in at the time. AFAIK Canadian MLS teams would, in turn, be receiving MLS sponsorship funding in USD (jersey deals or general league sponsorships).

JHikka Apr 24, 2018 3:44 PM

@billbriouxTV
SATURDAY'S Round 1, Game 5
#HNiC LEAFS-BRUINS o'nite take: 2516k viewers.
SAME AFT: SNet, Wash-Columbus 519k

Leafs/Caps last year was hitting the 3.5M mark (I think one of the games hit 3.62M), so this year has seen a decent drop for the Leafs on CBC/Rogers.

JHikka Apr 27, 2018 11:15 PM

Wednesday, April 25:

NHL Toronto/Boston 4.2M (CBC/Sportsnet)
NBA Washington/Toronto 631K (TSN)
MLB Boston/Toronto 347K (SN1)
MLS Toronto/Chivas 313K (TSN2)

The 4.2M Leafs Game 7 rating is similar to the following:

2017 CFL GC Calgary/Toronto 4.3M (TSN/RDS)
2017 NHL ECF Ottawa/Pittsburgh Game 7 4.29M (Sportsnet)
2010 NHL ECQF Montreal/Pittsburgh Game 7 4.24M (CBC)
2018 NHL ECQF Toronto/Boston Game 7 4.2M (CBC/Sportsnet)
2015 MLB ALDS Toronto/Texas Game 3 4.2M (Sportsnet)

The Leafs average ratings for the seven game series slots in to the same level that a non-Canada SCF ends up as.

Acajack May 3, 2018 1:30 PM

...........

thurmas May 6, 2018 4:24 PM

How come since the Leafs were knocked out of round 1 we are getting no ratings updates for the Jets games in round 2?

JHikka May 6, 2018 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 8178519)
How come since the Leafs were knocked out of round 1 we are getting no ratings updates for the Jets games in round 2?

Nobody makes Jets numbers publicly available that I can find. All we have are Round 1 figures.

I can tell you all about how well Vegas and Nashville are doing on NBCSN but this is the Canadian thread, so... :tup:

MonctonRad May 6, 2018 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8178568)
I can tell you all about how well Vegas and Nashville are doing on NBCSN but this is the Canadian thread, so... :tup:

I'm kinda interested. I'm not too long back from a week in Washington DC watching a lot of hockey on NBC and NBCSN. There seemed to be a lot of interest down there (at least for the Caps)........

thurmas May 6, 2018 7:39 PM

Typical Eastern Canada media bias if the leafs or habs aren't competing they just give up and don't even bother tracking Western Canadian teams tv ratings.

JHikka May 13, 2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 8178629)
Typical Eastern Canada media bias if the leafs or habs aren't competing they just give up and don't even bother tracking Western Canadian teams tv ratings.

@SportsnetPR
The #StanleyCup Playoffs Round 2 series between the @NHLJets & @PredsNHL on @Sportsnet & @CBC marks the most-watched Jets post-season series in 2.0 franchise history. The best-of-7 series garnered an average TV audience of 2.2M hockey fans & reached more than 13.7M Canadians

@SportsnetPR
Thursday’s sudden-death Game 7 showdown on @Sportsnet & @CBC received franchise-record ratings, with an average audience of 3 million viewers tuning in, making it the most-watched @NHLJets broadcast ever. #HomeofHockey #AllFortheCup

@BillBriouxTV:
THURS o'nites
CTV BigBang S11 finale 2776k
YoungSheldon 1948k
CBC NHL Round 2 G7 'Peg/Nash 1744k
GLO BigBroCan finale 956k

Would be 1.75M on CBC and 1.25M on Sportsnet for Jets Game 7.

thurmas May 13, 2018 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8186825)
@SportsnetPR
The #StanleyCup Playoffs Round 2 series between the @NHLJets & @PredsNHL on @Sportsnet & @CBC marks the most-watched Jets post-season series in 2.0 franchise history. The best-of-7 series garnered an average TV audience of 2.2M hockey fans & reached more than 13.7M Canadians

@SportsnetPR
Thursday’s sudden-death Game 7 showdown on @Sportsnet & @CBC received franchise-record ratings, with an average audience of 3 million viewers tuning in, making it the most-watched @NHLJets broadcast ever. #HomeofHockey #AllFortheCup

@BillBriouxTV:
THURS o'nites
CTV BigBang S11 finale 2776k
YoungSheldon 1948k
CBC NHL Round 2 G7 'Peg/Nash 1744k
GLO BigBroCan finale 956k

Would be 1.75M on CBC and 1.25M on Sportsnet for Jets Game 7.

For game 6 of the Jets Preds series Ron Maclean said on HNIC that 85% of all Manitoba households were watching that game.

blueandgoldguy May 14, 2018 10:06 PM

Good numbers for the Jets in the second round.

For perspective, last year, Ottawa-rangers series and Edmonton-Anaheim series averaged 1.7 million per game last year. Ottawa's most watched game in round 2 against the Rangers averaged 2.4 million.

http://www.obj.ca/article/ticket-pri...tanley-cup-run

elly63 May 15, 2018 12:38 AM

Eskimos 2017 Report to Shareholders

thurmas May 15, 2018 2:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8187947)

Interesting the Bombers generated $32 million compared to the Eskies $24 million. This has got me a bit concerned on what BC and the Eastern teams made as I doubt it is anything close to what the 4 Prairie teams made.

elly63 May 15, 2018 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 8188049)
Interesting the Bombers generated $32 million compared to the Eskies $24 million. This has got me a bit concerned on what BC and the Eastern teams made as I doubt it is anything close to what the 4 Prairie teams made.

A large part depends on sponsorships, for one. I believe the Alouettes were leading the league at one time with very lucrative sponsorships. Rumour has it, they had an executive that went a little rogue and damaged that relationship. He's been gone for the last few years and I understand most of the relationships were restored.

JHikka May 15, 2018 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8188765)
A large part depends on sponsorships, for one. I believe the Alouettes were leading the league at one time with very lucrative sponsorships. Rumour has it, they had an executive that went a little rogue and damaged that relationship. He's been gone for the last few years and I understand most of the relationships were restored.

Quoted relevant sections:

Interview: There was never going to be a quick fix, Alouettes president says

"We're in a tough spot. We have been for some time now," Montreal Alouettes president Patrick Boivin says
HERB ZURKOWSKY, MONTREAL GAZETTE
More from Herb Zurkowsky, Montreal Gazette
Published on: October 17, 2017 | Last Updated: October 17, 2017 2:07 PM EDT

“We’re in a tough spot. We have been for some time now. Our metrics are not increasing. A lot of that is in direct relationship to the team’s performance,” Boivin said. “They want to see this team come back. They’re willing to be as patient as needed — not overly patient, but certainly more than a year.

“They understand this business isn’t going to be turned around in a year, especially when it’s correlated to the football performance. The business has not been tracking forward. It’s been regressing slowly, year after year. Tickets and sponsorship have been tracking similarly.”

While there will constantly be speculation about potential new ownership or the need to get local interested parties involved, the Wetenhall family never has expressed a desire to sell. And realistically, it wouldn’t make economic sense to unload the franchise at this juncture, when the return would be minimal.

“My belief is they’ll fight to keep the franchise, but there needs to be signs,” Boivin said. “Part of that — a big part — is on me … on righting the ship. I don’t know that we necessarily get four years to do this without seeing some real progression.”

The price of season tickets will remain frozen. Indeed, those deciding to renew their subscriptions will take advantage of rebates between 45 and 25 per cent, depending on how early they commit. The price of almost 1,000 seats in Molson Stadium will be reduced, and a $20 ticket for students will now be offered.

Rather than concentrating on the approximately 10,000 who have full season-ticket packages, Boivin said equal emphasis must be placed on those who have more specific interests and want to see a more limited number of games. Boivin said the organization must continue to sell the overall experience as opposed to the actual three-hour game.

“It’s less about selling a ticket. It’s more about selling an overall experience,” he said. “We’re trying to get them in, not (exclusively) for the football but to live a social experience with their friends.

“We’re going to be redefining this team’s identity so it can progress and develop properly.”

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...president-says

esquire May 15, 2018 7:56 PM

^ I don't feel too badly for the Als, they had a good thing going when the team was doing well. They milked it hard with some big crowds for playoff games and what were probably at the time the highest ticket price points in the league. I'm sure their ownership did quite well for itself.

elly63 May 15, 2018 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 8188797)
Quoted relevant sections

Not really sure what's relevant there aside from saying regressing. No dollar values or actual specifics are mentioned, that's like saying TFC's TV ratings doubled. Doubling nothing is still nothing.

JHikka May 15, 2018 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 8188919)
Not really sure what's relevant there aside from saying regressing.

To quote Boivin from the article, emphasis added is mine:

"We’re in a tough spot. We have been for some time now. Our metrics are not increasing."

"The business has not been tracking forward. It’s been regressing slowly, year after year. Tickets and sponsorship have been tracking similarly."


Your original post indicated that sponsorships had been restored (you didn't provide values or actual specifics) and I quoted a Montreal Gazette article indicating that sponsorships were declining. Boivin's point-of-view is probably worth more and I was supplementing your post with his official information. Since we don't have any official numbers it's mostly moot anyway, but Boivin's interview wasn't exactly painting a pretty picture. :shrug:

The Edmonton Eskimos make roughly $5M/year in sponsorship funding (making up roughly 20% of their total revenue). The Blue Bombers post their revenues but do not indicate sponsorship individually from other corporate revenues so we're left to guesstimate. I'd assume it's around $4M given market size (although you're welcome to refute this). If Montreal is attracting half the crowds in a larger market it's possible their sponsorship figures are somewhere similar.

(edit - Saskatchewan brings in roughly $6M/year in sponsorship revenue as of 2017)

In saying this, both Edmonton's and Winnipeg's sponsorship revenues (in the case of Winnipeg, presumably) have been increasing year-over-year. Edmonton receives about ~$300K more each year in sponsorships. We have no way of completely comprehending the situations in Winnipeg or Montreal so we're left to guess as to why Edmonton and Winnipeg are increasing whilst Montreal is decreasing.

elly63 May 15, 2018 9:51 PM

I said "I understand most of the relationships were restored" I never said anything specific about values or later loss.

theman23 May 15, 2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 8186860)
For game 6 of the Jets Preds series Ron Maclean said on HNIC that 85% of all Manitoba households were watching that game.

Fucking cousin earl letting us all down again.

blueandgoldguy May 15, 2018 10:21 PM

There is little doubt MOntreal is losing millions a year at this point - reduced sponsorship from their glory days, decline in crowds and an antiquated stadium that while in a cool locale has limited revenue generating opportunities with the lack of club seats, suites, loges; no naming rights revenue, no ancillary revenues from parking or other events at the stadium.

The team had 17-18,000 season ticket holders at one point with a few thousand on the waiting list. Now it is down to 10,000. Given how awful last season was, I'm sure their attendance will drop by at least a few thousand this year...unless they start giving away a lot of tickets.

thurmas May 15, 2018 11:27 PM

I am guesstimating that the Argos Als and Lions generate around 10-16 million if the Bombers and Eskies generate between 24 and 32 million per year as they get between 27000 and 32000 fans per game to that of 14000-19000 per game. The ticats and redblacks are probably around the 18-22 million mark as their attendance is around the 22 to 24k mark per game.

jonny24 May 16, 2018 2:00 PM

Might be time for a brand refresh for the Als? The name is solid but they could do with a new logo and uniforms. :shrug:

Of course, their football ops being hopeless doesn't help.

elly63 May 17, 2018 8:21 PM

Why I love this league!
When good marketing and promotion are genuine.

Riders heading to Humboldt on June 3
cfl.ca May 17, 2018

REGINA — The Saskatchewan Roughriders announced Thursday they’ll practice in Humboldt, Sask. on June 3 to honour the Humboldt Broncos and support the community.

The team will hold a walk-through practice at Glenn Hall Park football field from noon until 1 p.m., while the Rider organization will also host a barbecue lunch adjacent to the field for the community to enjoy over the course of the lunch hour event.

“While we continue to mourn for all those effected by the devastating event of April 6, we want to demonstrate our ongoing support for the Broncos organization and the community of Humboldt,” stated Craig Reynolds, Saskatchewan Roughriders president and CEO. “We have been working in partnership with the Broncos’ organization since the tragedy, hoping to play a small role in assisting the team, victims, the community and entire province through this painful time by channeling the healing power of sport, and by lending the strength of Rider Nation.”

“The Broncos are so grateful for the Saskatchewan Roughriders, who have proven to be an invaluable support and resource in recent weeks,” said Kevin Garinger, president of the Humboldt Broncos. “We look forward to June 3rd, where we aim to bring the spirit of Rider Nation as well as an opportunity to enjoy the optimism for the exciting CFL season ahead, to all those in the community of Humboldt.”

Following walk-through players and coaches will make themselves available to spend time with fans for pictures and autographs.

On the day of the walk-through in Humboldt, the Saskatchewan Roughriders and Humboldt Broncos will also be releasing details regarding the Riders’ ‘Humboldt Strong’ home game on June 30, 2018, which has been dedicated to the families and victims of the April 6 tragedy.

JHikka May 19, 2018 3:06 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ddfg36_UwAAVxuh.jpg

isaidso May 19, 2018 3:02 PM

I suppose the US team is ranked #1 but who's #2?


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.