SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | 111 W 57th St | 1,428 FT | 85 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198228)

N830MH Aug 27, 2016 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILNY (Post 7541440)
Very carefully.

Right, just take it easy and be careful out there. Don't let crane fall down.

excel Aug 30, 2016 8:38 PM

Question about these skinny tall towers. Sure it has been asked before so I apologize. How many elevator shafts/stairwells can they even make room for? At rush hour in the morning won't there be long wait times?

Crawford Aug 30, 2016 8:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excel (Post 7546723)
Question about these skinny tall towers. Sure it has been asked before so I apologize. How many elevator shafts/stairwells can they even make room for? At rush hour in the morning won't there be long wait times?

There are relatively few units in these buildings, as individual units will be full floors or even multiple floors. It's not really a major issue.

Elevator usage is a bit of an issue with some of the skinny new hotels in NYC, as hotel rooms tend to be very small, and get high traffic, but I doubt it will be an issue with the residentials, where units tend to be enormous (and residents usually have multiple homes, so they're often not around anyways).

kenratboy Aug 30, 2016 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 7546749)
There are relatively few units in these buildings, as individual units will be full floors or even multiple floors. It's not really a major issue.

Elevator usage is a bit of an issue with some of the skinny new hotels in NYC, as hotel rooms tend to be very small, and get high traffic, but I doubt it will be an issue with the residentials, where units tend to be enormous (and residents usually have multiple homes, so they're often not around anyways).

Oh god, I have some hotel elevator horror stories. How about 2/3 of the hotel being part of a group and all having the same departure time. 1 of the 3 elevators is broken. Think 15 minute wait (and people taking the fire stairs down from the 20th, 30th floor, with their bags). Ugh...

But yes, it seems between low-density, low-occupancy, and very good planning, the elevator situation is not a major issue.

excel Aug 30, 2016 11:57 PM

Makes sense. Thanks for the response.

TechTalkGuy Sep 6, 2016 10:51 PM

http://111w57.com/content/themes/111...ogo_header.svg



NYguy Sep 7, 2016 12:26 AM

Folks in Chicago can see this...


https://www.architecture.org/experie...op-architects/

Quote:

Hear SHoP Architects principal Gregg Pasquarelli talk through his most high profile projects. Founded in New York City in 1996, SHoP Architects has made a name for itself in designing large-scale projects that transform neighborhoods. From Brooklyn’s Barclays Center to Manhattan’s American Copper Buildings—connected by a three-story sky bridge—to their recent commission at the National Veterans Resource Complex at Syracuse University, SHoP is an in-demand firm that Fast Company called the “Most Innovative Architecture Firm in the World.”

Gregg Pasquarelli is a Founding Principal of SHoP Architects, as well as a registered architect in the states of New York, New Jersey and Maine. He has served as a Principal on many of SHoP’s most prominent and high-profile projects in Manhattan and Brooklyn, including the Barclays Center at Atlantic Yards, the Steinway Tower at 111 West 57th Street, and the Porter House. Gregg is a fellow of the National Academy and serves on the Board of Directors of the Architectural League of New York.

September 13, 2016

6:00 pm

$15 public
$10 CAF members
Lecture Hall @ CAF, 224 S. Michigan Ave.

drumz0rz Sep 7, 2016 3:12 PM

I walked past the site the other day. Skinny doesn't even begin to describe this lot. It's a marvel of engineering that we can build something so tall and so thin. It's a marvel of class distinction that we should be spending the money to build such a tower.

drumz0rz Sep 7, 2016 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 7539225)

Are there any renders that show how those "wind break" floors will look in the final design?

Also, I feel bad for the future window cleaners. Those beautiful details mean it's going to take an eternity to clean all the glass.

HighwayStar Sep 7, 2016 4:43 PM

:previous:

Do I count the "res" correctly? Only 46 units in the entire building ? :uhh:

Hudson11 Sep 7, 2016 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drumz0rz (Post 7553403)
Are there any renders that show how those "wind break" floors will look in the final design?

Also, I feel bad for the future window cleaners. Those beautiful details mean it's going to take an eternity to clean all the glass.

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/i...0325155856.jpg

Zerton Sep 7, 2016 6:36 PM

My favorite renderings:

http://lobsintl.com/sites/default/fi...?itok=ILLrUbd9


http://jdsdevelopment.com/wp-content...-rendering.jpg

Source: SHOP Architects

The crown at night is going to be amazing with that lighting.

NYguy Sep 8, 2016 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighwayStar (Post 7553501)
:previous:

Do I count the "res" correctly? Only 46 units in the entire building ? :uhh:

There was supposed to be about 60 total, with some in the existing building. But that could be in flux, depending on how many of the units are duplex as opposed to single floor. Either way, not a lot of units here. It will be a very exclusive club.

gramsjdg Sep 8, 2016 2:37 AM

Crazy how the top floor is 300 feet lower than the top of the building. Occupied floor height is where Central Park Tower will completely demolish the perhaps better looking competition. At 1450'+ for the top occupied floor, its 300' above Steinway's and at least 200' above 432 PA and 1 WTC's highest occupied floors. The only building in the western hemisphere with a higher occupied floor is the CN Tower at 1465' for the skypod, although I wouldn't be surprised if CPT ends up breaking that mark by a little... :yes:

houstonny Sep 8, 2016 3:56 AM

I don't mean to sound super rude here, just a correction, so don't get me the wrong way. The CN Tower is just a structure, but yeah, I hope New York can kick the CN Tower out of its spot.

travelman90 Sep 14, 2016 12:50 AM

when is this tower going to be done? also, does construction take place on Saturday as well?

NYguy Sep 19, 2016 4:38 PM

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:

09/15/2016

PROPOSED INSTALLATION OF WORK PLATFORMS ON FLOORS 008- 018

O-tacular Sep 19, 2016 4:48 PM

I don't fully understand what's going on in the crown. Is it an open span with dangling chandelier-like glass that's lit up? If so that's a massive span.

http://lobsintl.com/sites/default/fi...?itok=ILLrUbd9

JACKinBeantown Sep 19, 2016 6:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-tacular (Post 7566897)
I don't fully understand what's going on in the crown. Is it an open span with dangling chandelier-like glass that's lit up? If so that's a massive span.

]

I think it's a big sequin sign.

https://roadsidenut.files.wordpress....07/blog161.jpg
https://roadsidenut.files.wordpress....07/blog161.jpg

O-tacular Sep 20, 2016 3:36 PM

:haha::haha::haha: Well it might as well be sequins for all I can tell. I"m skeptical this is just rendering magic and the final product will not appear quite like that.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.