SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Orlando Dec 31, 2018 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 8300346)
So the developer wanted to build a 36 floor tower with very little parking, that's not going to fly. Funny how our whole society is falling apart due to parking, that will be the downfall of America not constructing our cities in such a matter where you don't need so much parking :haha: Then to build proper housing for our citizens parking makes the costs go up so much. Sad...

What is the minimum # of required parking spaces in San Diego? In Seattle there is no minimum, and above-grade parking counts towards FAR, and is not allowed to have street frontage. Lots of incentives to build it all underground or hidden. The existing above-grade parking garages in downtown are eyesores.

Orlando Dec 31, 2018 8:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp (Post 8324398)
Found a post on reddit with the most perfect aerial shot of Manchester Pacific Gateway Progress

https://i.redd.it/qkf9qohe42o11.jpg
Courtesy Matt_Skywalker on reddit

I was out there myself the other day, I'd estimate that the entire site has been dug up by 5-6 feet and those deeper pits are closer to 30'. Underground parking perhaps?

What's under construction in the foreground of this photo? I'll be visiting in January and will be staying directly across it at the Embassy Suites hotel.

Will O' Wisp Jan 1, 2019 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlando (Post 8422548)
What's under construction in the foreground of this photo? I'll be visiting in January and will be staying directly across it at the Embassy Suites hotel.

As I said in the original post, it's the Manchester Pacific Gateway. Largest project in SD history, 8 blocks worth of High/Mid rises.

http://www.manchesterpacificgateway....gs/slider4.jpg

Don't expect to see much more than a dirt patch when you visit though, it's a 4 year project and they're not even done with the underground portions yet.

HurricaneHugo Jan 1, 2019 12:25 AM

Manchester Pacific Gateway

5 towers and a park I think

mello Jan 2, 2019 8:27 PM

SD Fan or others with input can we have a more in depth discussion about this:

"Honestly, for residential high-rise projects, if it's not Bosa, Pinnacle, Alexan, or a project tied to the city (Park & Market, 7th & Market) I don't see much getting done anytime soon.

We have had a rash of towers proposed from obscure LLC entities who are just trying to get their entitlement permits done so they can increase the value of their properties for future sale". --------------------------------

Is this phenomenon routine in other cities as well? Why aren't other big developers who do projects in the Bay or LA coming here? Chinese guys, Miami guys, who knows? Why doesn't anyone come an challenge the hegemony of BOSA and Pinnacle its like they are a mafia with SD as their territory.

You are right SD Fan the are so many tall towers, 2 in Cortez Hill or close, 1st and Beech, this one just posted, and then 8th and Broadway possibly others that have full entitlements but have been sitting around for 2 years or more.

Thanks guys

eburress Jan 2, 2019 8:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 8423976)
SD Fan or others with input can we have a more in depth discussion about this:

"Honestly, for residential high-rise projects, if it's not Bosa, Pinnacle, Alexan, or a project tied to the city (Park & Market, 7th & Market) I don't see much getting done anytime soon.

We have had a rash of towers proposed from obscure LLC entities who are just trying to get their entitlement permits done so they can increase the value of their properties for future sale". --------------------------------

Is this phenomenon routine in other cities as well? Why aren't other big developers who do projects in the Bay or LA coming here? Chinese guys, Miami guys, who knows? Why doesn't anyone come an challenge the hegemony of BOSA and Pinnacle its like they are a mafia with SD as their territory.

You are right SD Fan the are so many tall towers, 2 in Cortez Hill or close, 1st and Beech, this one just posted, and then 8th and Broadway possibly others that have full entitlements but have been sitting around for 2 years or more.

Thanks guys

Getting permits so as to increase property values definitely does happen elsewhere. Developers "specializing" in specific geographies also seems pretty common. You don't see Trammell Crow building much out here and you don't see Bosa developing projects in Chicago, for example.

sandiego_urban Jan 3, 2019 4:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 8422499)
Honestly, for residential high-rise projects, if it's not Bosa, Pinnacle, Alexan, or a project tied to the city (Park & Market, 7th & Market) I don't see much getting done anytime soon.

We have had a rash of towers proposed from obscure LLC entities who are just trying to get their entitlement permits done so they can increase the value of their properties for future sale.

I mean, maybe this one will be different, but eh. The only way I see them actually being built is if one of the larger development companies buys them and decides to move forward (as Bosa did with the the Block) or they could just squash the project entirely to eliminate competition.

As for 7th and Market, from what we last heard they were going to break ground in Q1 or Q2 2019 for a 2021 completion date. Keep your fingers crossed!

Also, a friend at the downtown partnership told me that the owners of the Californian are currently negotiating with their opponents to reach an agreement that preserves the old building but also permits a new tower on-site. Who knows if that'll work out...

You make a good point about all of the LLC proposals out there. I guess something is better than nothing. I'm just glad commercial development has finally woken up. Good to hear about 7th and Market.

sandiego_urban Jan 3, 2019 4:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 8422502)
Oh! sandiego_urban, the Park and Broadway project renders, was that a recent proposal submitted to Civic or was that something you dug up?

I came across it while browsing the interactive map on the Civic SD website. They do a pretty good job of including the PDF drawings for each project.

http://civicsd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...74826c0553c575

Northparkwizard Jan 3, 2019 5:50 AM

Great photo from photographer Jim Grant (@SDjimgrant).

https://i.imgur.com/0q035OI.jpg

SDfan Jan 3, 2019 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 8424448)
I came across it while browsing the interactive map on the Civic SD website. They do a pretty good job of including the PDF drawings for each project.

http://civicsd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...74826c0553c575

Whoa, had not seen this map before. Thank you.

So many projects I had forgotten about. Really hoping 10th & E and 11th & E both get built. I noticed that the 10th & E project is from another Canadian developer, so that gives it a higher likelihood of being build in my opinion.

Also hoping Moderna at 14th & K gets scrapped. It's been sitting there since 2016 and is way below its max FAR potential.

joemamma Jan 3, 2019 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 8424448)
I came across it while browsing the interactive map on the Civic SD website. They do a pretty good job of including the PDF drawings for each project.

http://civicsd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...74826c0553c575


Another great find @sandiego_urban.


Any recent construction update photos from others wondering downtown?

SDCAL Jan 5, 2019 6:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 8422153)
I was hoping someone here would know more about the timeline. It's great seeing taller towers being built in the eastern of downtown.

Anyone know if there is any movement going on at 7th & Market yet?

I’m getting nervous about this one. I talked with someone involved with 7th/Market and they seemed iffy and alluded to more problems, but didn’t really give details. They told me it might break ground in the Fall, which was shocking because I thought all their issues were resolved and they were ready to break ground by April.

If this one falls through, that site, which is centrally located and had been a surface lot for decades, will probably remain a surface lot for another decade.

Perhaps someone can try and get more info. The person I talk to didn’t want to reveal much, but they weren’t very optimistic about it at all.

SDfan Jan 5, 2019 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 8426650)
I’m getting nervous about this one. I talked with someone involved with 7th/Market and they seemed iffy and alluded to more problems, but didn’t really give details. They told me it might break ground in the Fall, which was shocking because I thought all their issues were resolved and they were ready to break ground by April.

If this one falls through, that site, which is centrally located and had been a surface lot for decades, will probably remain a surface lot for another decade.

Perhaps someone can try and get more info. The person I talk to didn’t want to reveal much, but they weren’t very optimistic about it at all.

Uhhhhhhh. The train is leaving the station for this cycle. If they don't break ground by end of Q2 they're not getting built period.

mello Jan 6, 2019 3:41 AM

^^^^ So you dont think the courthouse redevelopment, or BOSA's semi twin to Pac Gate will be built in this current cycle.... Alexan Little Italy said Q3 or 4 start in the recent UT piece. I hope that one slides in under the trap door. :shrug:

sandiego_urban Jan 6, 2019 6:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 8424794)
Whoa, had not seen this map before. Thank you.

So many projects I had forgotten about. Really hoping 10th & E and 11th & E both get built. I noticed that the 10th & E project is from another Canadian developer, so that gives it a higher likelihood of being build in my opinion.

Also hoping Moderna at 14th & K gets scrapped. It's been sitting there since 2016 and is way below its max FAR potential.

Yeah, that map is pretty cool. And I'm also a fan of the 11th & E project.

sandiego_urban Jan 6, 2019 7:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 8426650)
I’m getting nervous about this one. I talked with someone involved with 7th/Market and they seemed iffy and alluded to more problems, but didn’t really give details. They told me it might break ground in the Fall, which was shocking because I thought all their issues were resolved and they were ready to break ground by April.

If this one falls through, that site, which is centrally located and had been a surface lot for decades, will probably remain a surface lot for another decade.

Perhaps someone can try and get more info. The person I talk to didn’t want to reveal much, but they weren’t very optimistic about it at all.

If there's one project that I'm hoping will get built before the next crash, it's this one. It would be a real shame it this one gets axed. This project is just what Market Street needs to bring it to life.......Office, hotel, condo, retail, all in one.

SDCAL Jan 7, 2019 2:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiego_urban (Post 8427449)
If there's one project that I'm hoping will get built before the next crash, it's this one. It would be a real shame it this one gets axed. This project is just what Market Street needs to bring it to life.......Office, hotel, condo, retail, all in one.

Me too. I’m hoping someone can find out more info on what the hold up is. The union issue was resolved so something else must be happening.

vietnamprivatecar Jan 7, 2019 3:07 AM

Good

SDfan Jan 9, 2019 5:03 PM

News on 7th & Market:

Quote:

“Lenders are more cautious and somewhat concerned about new supply coming into the marketplace, and for larger, full-service hotels they are requiring more equity from the developers,” said Atlas CEO Alan Reay.

“Secondly, the cost of construction, including the cost of raw materials and labor, has skyrocketed. One of the negatives of a very strong economy is the labor pool is very small in terms of finding people to work on your project so contractors are bidding high to find labor. If you’re not out of the ground today, I think it’s going to be a tough situation.”

In Southern California, Atlas says there are more than 90,000 hotel rooms in various stages of planning, including more than 17,000 in San Diego County, but it’s likely that only a fraction of those will ultimately move forward.

Cisterra, a San Diego-based developer, has long had plans to build a Ritz Carlton in downtown San Diego, but the $450 million project, which also includes office space, housing and a gourmet market, was delayed by a union-backed legal challenge. That litigation, though, has been settled, and Cisterra has now been trying to land financing.

Cisterra Project Principal Jason Wood said Tuesday that he is optimistic about securing financing by the end of this quarter.


https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...109-story.html

staplesla Jan 11, 2019 8:13 PM

"Doubling down on a mission to connect public transportation to the airport, San Diego’s mayor and the county’s transit chief have landed on a 71-acre, airport- and freeway-adjacent site that they see as the region’s utopian transit hub of tomorrow....Specifics are slim, but the early plan, as outlined by Ikhrata and strongly advocated for by Faulconer, would combine the SPAWAR land with the existing Old Town Transit Center to create a 120-acre, mixed-use development. That project would be theoretically funded by multiple regional agencies and developed through a public-private partnership. As envisioned, the Grand Central transit hub would sit at the nexus of a larger project (with to-be-determined housing and office elements), and bring together all current and future rail options. Included in the hub would be a people mover to shuttle commuters to and from San Diego International Airport’s two terminals, Ikhrata said."

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...111-story.html

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5c38047e/t...ge/750/750x422


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.