SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Streamliner Dec 17, 2015 5:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 7273301)
Does anybody know what they're doing on the 15 between University and El Cajon?

Lots of new columns going up.

Are they expanding the park that's on top of the freeway?

I sure hope so, or at least another lid for more space

This is for the Mid-City BRT line, they are putting in freeway-level stations that will connect to the main street levels at University Ave and El Cajon Blvd.

Project info

Visual Simulations

http://timesofsandiego.com/wp-conten...ne-Project.jpg

Northparkwizard Dec 17, 2015 8:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 7273544)
This is for the Mid-City BRT line, they are putting in freeway-level stations that will connect to the main street levels at University Ave and El Cajon Blvd.

Project info

Visual Simulations

http://timesofsandiego.com/wp-conten...ne-Project.jpg

Took way to long to get started but I think it's a sign of good things to come.

a very long weekend Dec 17, 2015 9:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 7266741)
What part of SD will you be staying in? I think Balboa Park and downtown are the big "don't miss" things. We also have other great neighborhoods like center city areas North Park - Hillcrest area. North Park has become a great alternative for restaurants and urban life with a more less-mainstream vibe. There's also La Jolla which is more of an upscale beach community.

thanks for the advice balboa park is like the top thing. staying in the 'little italy' part of town of downtown.

JoninATX Dec 18, 2015 6:27 AM

I always like San Diego skyline. That night shot is really epic!

JoninATX Dec 22, 2015 1:15 AM

This one of my favorite pictures I took of San Diego when I lived there back in 2013.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...g=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Bertrice Dec 22, 2015 4:41 AM

Did this thread move to Carson ?

SDfan Dec 22, 2015 7:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrice (Post 7277724)
Did this thread move to Carson ?

I don't think so. I don't see any Oakland development news here. :shrug:

JPAztec Dec 22, 2015 3:15 PM

Some construction update pics would be fantastic for those of us cast out into the desert for an extended period of time due to gainful employment opportunities. How is Pacific and Broadway, Ballpark Village, Blue Sky (or whatever its now called), and isn't Bosa breaking ground on Kettner and Ash or somewhere thereabouts? Thanks in advance if anyone happens to post on these, and Merry Christmas!

HurricaneHugo Dec 23, 2015 8:37 AM

Not an update but I think my brother took a nice picture of the light saber battle down at the Embarcadero

http://i.imgur.com/Q1Hab5r.jpg

tyleraf Dec 24, 2015 2:00 AM

India and Beech is back from the dead!http://civicsd.com/images/stories/do...-_12.23.15.pdf

SDfan Dec 26, 2015 5:18 AM

Merry Christmas, bees. :D

tyleraf Dec 27, 2015 5:09 PM

A rundown of all the projects going on Downtown. http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...l-residential/

SDfan Dec 30, 2015 5:14 AM

What the fukc?

Quote:

Harbor Island bidders include $2B aquarium plan
Port may select finalists in March
...

"He proposes a 700,000-square-foot 'San Diego National Aquarium,' which would make it the largest in North America and designed on the same order as the iconic Sydney Opera House in Australia.

On either side would be a total of 2 million square feet of 'vertical urban agriculture' operations in a pyramid and arch as much as 300 feet high. Crops of all kinds would be shipped from the site, justifying its bayfront location, Tripp said.

Other features include three hotels with 1,400 rooms; a people mover to the airport and a San Diego Trolley stop; a 500-foot-high 'sky spire' observation ride; a 70-foot-wide promenade along the waterfront; and shops and restaurants to serve a projected 3 million annual visitors.

Tripp said if he makes the interview stage, he will tell the port that he has international investors 'pretty well squared away' and will nail down development partners if selected."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...pment-bidders/

Northparkwizard Dec 30, 2015 4:16 PM

... and a partridge in a pear tree. Seriously that sounds like a circus, good luck with the costal commission..

Leo the Dog Dec 30, 2015 6:11 PM

Cool proposal for totally under utilized real estate, but....A trolley stop on Harbor Island? That won't happen.

Bertrice Dec 31, 2015 12:31 AM

They better redesign the roadway so airport traffic isn't affected by it

Bikemike Dec 31, 2015 1:08 AM

Another world class (with 3 billion dollars, it will be world class) aquarium to dot the CA coast? Yes please! It will add weight to San Diego's ability to hold its own. I feel SD is still straddling that line between a regional city under the shadows of LA, and a large international metro in its own right (like Seattle). Anything that will go towards adding another important metro to CA is fine by me

eburress Dec 31, 2015 2:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikemike (Post 7284279)
Another world class (with 3 billion dollars, it will be world class) aquarium to dot the CA coast? Yes please! It will add weight to San Diego's ability to hold its own. I feel SD is still straddling that line between a regional city under the shadows of LA, and a large international metro in its own right (like Seattle). Anything that will go towards adding another important metro to CA is fine by me

By this point, any question about San Diego being the "large international metro in its own right" you're speaking of has been answered. It's not.

My rough hierarchy of US cities:

Tier 1
NYC
LA

Tier 2
Chicago
Washington DC
San Francisco
Boston
Dallas
Philly

Tier 3
Houston
Seattle
Miami
Detroit
Phoenix
Minneapolis
Cleveland
Denver

Tier 4
Charlotte
St. Louis
Tampa
Kansas City
Pittsburgh

Tier 5
Portland
San Diego
Orlando
Jacksonville
Nashville
Sacramento

There are omissions and folks could argue the placement of some of these, but San Diego's position in relation to its peers is clear.

Bikemike Dec 31, 2015 2:28 AM

I would put it in Tier 4 below Houston, Seattle, Miami, or Atlanta, but alongside Denver, Phoenix, Minneapolis or Cleveland.

I think Jacksonville or Nashville are a whole step below San Diego in terms of cosmopolitanism and economic reach. SDs biggest challenge is in carving out a cultural identity for itself to put it in the tier of Seattle or Miami. It's still emerging from its own Navy town shadow.

That sort of identity usually develops spontaneously.

SDfan Dec 31, 2015 3:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 7284324)
By this point, any question about San Diego being the "large international metro in its own right" you're speaking of has been answered. It's not.

My rough hierarchy of US cities:

Tier 1
NYC
LA

Tier 2
Chicago
Washington DC
San Francisco
Boston
Dallas
Philly

Tier 3
Houston
Seattle
Miami
Detroit
Phoenix
Minneapolis
Cleveland
Denver

Tier 4
Charlotte
St. Louis
Tampa
Kansas City
Pittsburgh

Tier 5
Portland
San Diego
Orlando
Jacksonville
Nashville
Sacramento

There are omissions and folks could argue the placement of some of these, but San Diego's position in relation to its peers is clear.

I disagree with this list, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it besides disapprove. You've lucked out. haha.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.