SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Northparkwizard Apr 1, 2015 6:13 PM

"Councilmember Sherman's proposed multi-use stadium plan at Qualcomm location. Sherman said plan includes park, restaurants, hotels, etc. Plan isn't final; meant to help CSAG with options. Said no cost to general fund."
http://i.imgur.com/wyOJoab.jpg

SDCAL Apr 1, 2015 7:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 6973810)
"Councilmember Sherman's proposed multi-use stadium plan at Qualcomm location. Sherman said plan includes park, restaurants, hotels, etc. Plan isn't final; meant to help CSAG with options. Said no cost to general fund."

How tall is the tower on the right? Does MV have any restrictions against a >500 footer? ;)

tyleraf Apr 2, 2015 12:01 AM

Wow! I had to check to make sure it wasn't an April fools prank. This would be great if a project like this was built in MV.

Rail>Auto Apr 2, 2015 12:13 AM

I wish they would preserve the field from Qualcomm as a park and maybe keep some of the elevated flag part of the stadium. Other than that, it looks good.

It reminds me sooo much of that failed plan in Las Vegas.

eburress Apr 2, 2015 3:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 6973810)
http://i.imgur.com/wyOJoab.jpg

Oh brother. Who thinks there is ANY chance something like that gets built?

You know, it's fun looking at grand development proposals in other cities' development threads, but it's almost sad looking at them in the SD thread. With all the NIMBYs, restrictions (no, those towers aren't possible as shown), and the state of the region's economics, projects like this aren't possible here.

Leo the Dog Apr 2, 2015 3:06 PM

Yeah I see the irony that the city can't seem to find a way to build a single stadium project (on an existing parking lot), yet proposals like these are the answer?

Just seems like a hundred more hurdles were created to clear one hurdle.

Northparkwizard Apr 2, 2015 5:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 6974532)
Oh brother. Who thinks there is ANY chance something like that gets built?

You know, it's fun looking at grand development proposals in other cities' development threads, but it's almost sad looking at them in the SD thread. With all the NIMBYs, restrictions (no, those towers aren't possible as shown), and the state of the region's economics, projects like this aren't possible here.

Well the Riverwalk golf course project is bigger than this it's going to be developed, tons of stuff being built in Mission Valley despite being in a total floodplain. Which makes no sense.

dl3000 Apr 3, 2015 2:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 6975185)
Well the Riverwalk golf course project is bigger than this it's going to be developed, tons of stuff being built in Mission Valley despite being in a total floodplain. Which makes no sense.

If you look at the FEMA maps, you'll see they development near the actual river is highly regulated and regulations require elevation of the base floor above the 1% annual chance flood. It's just like the the bottom parking level at Fashion Valley that floods by design. I wish they left the floodplain in a more natural state, but they sure do work around it.

eburress Apr 3, 2015 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 6975185)

By bigger, do you mean Riverwalk covers more area? This proposal appears to have 5+ million square feet of office space and probably close to that in residential space. I don't recall Riverwalk being even remotely of that scale.

Northparkwizard Apr 3, 2015 4:23 PM

Yup, that's what I meant. Also I read somewhere yesterday that the spokesperson from CSAG said something like, Our official proposal that will become public in May and will not be asking for max density at the Mission Valley site. Can't quote him on that but that's what I remember reading. So I'm thinking that the Riverwalk project will, in the end, have more units than the redeveloped stadium site. That being said any project of this size regardless of the city it's in will have major hurtles to jump thru, that's just that facts of developing in California now and going forward.

ucsbgaucho Apr 3, 2015 11:04 PM

I'm sorry but any proposal for a new stadium that doesn't include a retractable roof is a huge wasted opportunity and waste of money, in my opinion. Just think about the Final Four this weekend. The last time a West Coast city hosted was 1995, at the Kingdome in Seattle. Ironically, San Diego was the last California city to host the Final Four, in 1975. Look at all the other facilities on the West Coast; none are equipped to handle any indoor events of this scale. LA's two proposals are for open-air stadiums, so San Diego could grab a HUGE opportunity with the Final Four. Sure, it's one event every several years, but the NCAA I bet would love to come to the west coast. Since 2000, it's been Indy, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Houston, San Antonio, Phoenix, New Orleans, Dallas, St Louis and Detroit.

Plus, the countless other events that would be held there, from concerts to political conventions, that would benefit from being out of the elements if the need arose. We're already talking over $1 billion in cost, so changing it to add the retractable roof isn't going to be a make-or-break component. But why leave ourselves on the outside of these types of events for really no reason at all? Getting the Final Four to SD when it can't come to LA would be huge for the city.

Leo the Dog Apr 4, 2015 2:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho (Post 6976722)
I'm sorry but any proposal for a new stadium that doesn't include a retractable roof is a huge wasted opportunity and waste of money, in my opinion. Just think about the Final Four this weekend. The last time a West Coast city hosted was 1995, at the Kingdome in Seattle. Ironically, San Diego was the last California city to host the Final Four, in 1975. Look at all the other facilities on the West Coast; none are equipped to handle any indoor events of this scale. LA's two proposals are for open-air stadiums, so San Diego could grab a HUGE opportunity with the Final Four. Sure, it's one event every several years, but the NCAA I bet would love to come to the west coast. Since 2000, it's been Indy, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Houston, San Antonio, Phoenix, New Orleans, Dallas, St Louis and Detroit.

Plus, the countless other events that would be held there, from concerts to political conventions, that would benefit from being out of the elements if the need arose. We're already talking over $1 billion in cost, so changing it to add the retractable roof isn't going to be a make-or-break component. But why leave ourselves on the outside of these types of events for really no reason at all? Getting the Final Four to SD when it can't come to LA would be huge for the city.

Good point. I heard on sports radio (Jay Mohr show?) that the NCAA tourney brings in more money than the Super Bowl and almost every single NFL playoff game combined.

If SD landed the Final Four, every few years, mixed in with the Super Bowl that would be huge.

mello Apr 4, 2015 5:07 PM

Why do all of these mega projects in Mission Valley have a giant office space component when there is clearly no large demand from space in MV or really anywhere in the County? Between Civita, River Walk, and now Qualcomm site you have something like 5 million square feet of office space proposed. Civita has not broken ground on any. Being in a housing crisis don't you think that should be the main issue? Minindorms in the College Area are still a big issue we need to add thousands of units for the SDSU market alone.

Regarding a retractable roof: Kroenke's Inglewood Stadium has a "Clear Roof" that he plans on projecting ads onto so people flying in to LAX can look down and see it. Final Fours are part of his plan there.

I'm sure some elaborate temporary tarp system can be devised here at our new facility for 20 million or so. Imagine 6 huge oval shaped tarps that can be lifted by helicopter and overlap each other and hook on to the outside upper sections of the stadium. I'm sure this can be figured out for Final Fours or some huge event here that needs a cover just in case. We are sending people to mars and drilling for oil 8000 feet deep in the Ocean so they can devise a cool tarp system here no problem.

chris08876 Apr 4, 2015 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6977328)
Why do all of these mega projects in Mission Valley have a giant office space component when there is clearly no large demand from space in MV or really anywhere in the County?

Could be the type of use that its planned. Depending on the tenant and their requirements.

General office cubicles is one thing, but if the space is being used for a mix of office and lets say some labs or data storage, the sq footage adds up quickly. Even a mix of office and medical/tech manufacturing operations takes up incredible space.

Modern day offices usually are a lot more spacious then in the past. This also applies for things such as labs or storage.

spoonman Apr 6, 2015 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6977328)
Why do all of these mega projects in Mission Valley have a giant office space component when there is clearly no large demand from space in MV or really anywhere in the County?

Even though it seems like a lot of space, it is a small percentage increase in space in the city/ county. Also since much of these projects won't be complete for many years, it makes sense to start planning now so that these developers can benefit from future demand.

SDfan Apr 8, 2015 2:32 AM

Sound familiar?

Quote:

The incredible shrinking megacity: How Los Angeles engineered a housing crisis

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/05/the_...ousing_crisis/

aerogt3 Apr 8, 2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6981552)
Sound familiar?

That applies to most of California. The consequence of overregulation.

phoenixboi08 Apr 8, 2015 1:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerogt3 (Post 6981821)
That applies to most of California. The consequence of overregulation.

The consequence of over-zealous property owners and mal-zoning.

Northparkwizard Apr 10, 2015 10:41 PM

520 W Ash plans.

SDfan Apr 11, 2015 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 6985979)

A nice 300'er. Interesting orientation. I like the design overall.