SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

spoonman Aug 14, 2014 6:17 PM

What I do know is that this project was taken over by Broadstone (who did one in Little Italy and is working on Banker's Hill). I don't believe they did the original design, but hopefully their influence will help the design...they have done some good work.

The 4-6 story stucco box seems to be the Huffman Six-Pack of our generation. Is is actually possible to do these with character, but not all developers seem to have the wearwithall. I will say that at least we're no longer seeing much spanish style stuff south of the 52 Fwy.

SDfan Aug 14, 2014 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 6690671)
It's a development project in Metro San Diego that's happening without your knowledge, let the grand debate begin!

(tongue firmly planted in cheek)

insert emoji


:thankyouthankyou:

mello Aug 14, 2014 9:00 PM

Getting people out of their cars and off the I-5 would be a lot easier if there were 400,000 people working in DTSD. Downtown Denver has what 12 million more square feet of office space then ours and we are a bigger metro area.

North County is NOT dense by any means and people who live there work all over the place so how on earth are you going to get them out of their cars and off the 5? Look at the UTC area jobs are sprawled out around there as well and there is no train station for people to get off at. The Sorrento Valley station is way at the bottom of a valley far from where people actually work up the hill.

SD Metro area is simply not laid out in a proper manner to plug in transit. I agree with SDfan the only solution is getting people to live closer to work and really beefing up the middle class job presence downtown.

eburress Aug 14, 2014 9:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6691421)
Getting people out of their cars and off the I-5 would be a lot easier if there were 400,000 people working in DTSD. Downtown Denver has what 12 million more square feet of office space then ours and we are a bigger metro area.

North County is NOT dense by any means and people who live there work all over the place so how on earth are you going to get them out of their cars and off the 5? Look at the UTC area jobs are sprawled out around there as well and there is no train station for people to get off at. The Sorrento Valley station is way at the bottom of a valley far from where people actually work up the hill.

SD Metro area is simply not laid out in a proper manner to plug in transit. I agree with SDfan the only solution is getting people to live closer to work and really beefing up the middle class job presence downtown.

Agreed. North/south surface streets could take some pressure off the 5, but there are hardly any of those either. An uninterrupted El Camino Real that ran all the way from Carlsbad down into Kearny Mesa, for example, would take some pressure off the 5 and 805. As it is though, pretty much the only way to get anywhere in the north county are the freeways.

nezbn22 Aug 14, 2014 9:24 PM

The Port has "updated" us on the NEVP progress. The only thing I can tell that's changed since the start of July is that they're set to open the fancy artistic restroom next week.

http://www.portofsandiego.org/north-...gust-2014.html

Never thought I'd ever be looking forward to a public restroom opening...

Northparkwizard Aug 14, 2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nezbn22 (Post 6691447)
Never thought I'd ever be looking forward to a public restroom opening...

:lmao:

spoonman Aug 14, 2014 10:53 PM

haha...the homeless are equally jazzed

SDfan Aug 14, 2014 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 6691446)
Agreed. North/south surface streets could take some pressure off the 5, but there are hardly any of those either. An uninterrupted El Camino Real that ran all the way from Carlsbad down into Kearny Mesa, for example, would take some pressure off the 5 and 805. As it is though, pretty much the only way to get anywhere in the north county are the freeways.

This is actually a real difference between San Diego and other major cities. My friends in LA are always astonished by how reliant we are on our freeways to get around. Up north they avoid them at all costs and take surface streets, mostly on long boulevards that cross the entire basin. We don't have anything like that, and I'm sure that's on purpose. The Tri-City area (Carlsbad, Oceanside, and Vista) has numerous incomplete roadways that hinder access between them because they fear commuter traffic bisecting their borders. Carlsbad even built a barrier on College Blvd when Oceanside finished the road into their city for that reason. It's ridiculous how many holes we have in this county because people fear alternative transportation options.

SDfan Aug 14, 2014 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6691421)
SD Metro area is simply not laid out in a proper manner to plug in transit. I agree with SDfan the only solution is getting people to live closer to work and really beefing up the middle class job presence downtown.

:yeahthat:

spoonman Aug 15, 2014 4:18 AM

New project for the homeless at 14th & Market. Currently under construction.

http://jwdainc.com/projects/alpha-square/

HurricaneHugo Aug 15, 2014 6:55 AM

15th & Island starting to rise over my neighborhood.

http://i.imgur.com/vE9DyZF.jpg

Leo the Dog Aug 15, 2014 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6691572)
This is actually a real difference between San Diego and other major cities. My friends in LA are always astonished by how reliant we are on our freeways to get around. Up north they avoid them at all costs and take surface streets, mostly on long boulevards that cross the entire basin. We don't have anything like that, and I'm sure that's on purpose. The Tri-City area (Carlsbad, Oceanside, and Vista) has numerous incomplete roadways that hinder access between them because they fear commuter traffic bisecting their borders. Carlsbad even built a barrier on College Blvd when Oceanside finished the road into their city for that reason. It's ridiculous how many holes we have in this county because people fear alternative transportation options.

I like SDs winding, relatively narrow surface streets. Very difficult for SD county to build wide, long, straight boulevards and avenues due to the topography. I'm not really a fan of those streets anyways. They create motorways and the illusion of speed. It is easy to drive much faster, when it seems you are driving slower.

I used to scratch my head when cities would build really wide residential streets, slap a 25mph speed limit down, then be forced to put in speed humps to slow traffic...:koko:

eburress Aug 15, 2014 4:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 6692275)
I like SDs winding, relatively narrow surface streets. Very difficult for SD county to build wide, long, straight boulevards and avenues due to the topography. I'm not really a fan of those streets anyways. They create motorways and the illusion of speed. It is easy to drive much faster, when it seems you are driving slower.

I used to scratch my head when cities would build really wide residential streets, slap a 25mph speed limit down, then be forced to put in speed humps to slow traffic...:koko:

It's not that the roads are straight vs. curvy but that they are uninterrupted. It's very difficult to get places in San Diego, especially in the north county, without getting on the freeways because there are no other options.


On transit in general, of course it would be ideal for there to be higher density developments in proximity to jobs and transit options, but that's NEVER EVER going to happen in San Diego. There are oppressive limits to height and density throughout most of the desirable portions of the region, and even if a development were to fit within the predefined parameters, the NIMBYs would still fight it tooth and nail. Unless things change, San Diego is going to continue to be an under-developed, automobile-dependent city long after we're dead and gone. Better to just accept it.

spoonman Aug 15, 2014 5:14 PM

^ Not sure I agree with this entirely. Yes, the more desirable older neighborhoods are fighting dentisy/mixed use, but many places like Kearny Mesa and Mission Valley may be beginning to embrace it. These areas, which have typically been office/commercial/industrial, are now adding lots of residential, which put homes closer to jobs. Granted they are not that walkable, but at least it is infill. (The city would be smart to encourage high rise development near Qualcomm in Sorrento valley too) Over time the older areas will embrace density too...they will either see that it has benefits, or the boomers will fade/leave.

tyleraf Aug 15, 2014 6:43 PM

There is a new notice on civicsd for a new 21 story/261 foot tall tower at Seventh and A on Cortez Hill. No renders yet.
http://civicsd.com/images/stories/NO..._A_8.13.14.pdf

nezbn22 Aug 15, 2014 8:24 PM

This won't help you with the renderings, but Civic SD has also finally published an updated downtown project status log:

http://civicsd.com/images/stories/do.../July_2014.pdf

Bertrice Aug 15, 2014 11:29 PM

The Quartyard on market opening has been pushed back to the "winter"

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...60873384_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/quartyardsd...type=1&theater

tyleraf Aug 16, 2014 4:16 AM

Here is the render of 7th and A. Which will back up to 719 Ash.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5576/...622126f54b.jpg
Here is 719 Ash as a reminder.
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3882/...334fb7355b.jpg

tyleraf Aug 16, 2014 4:17 AM

Here is Kettner Lofts.
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3853/...59a1a0e796.jpg

SDfan Aug 16, 2014 4:26 AM

Awesome. Tyler, where did you get the renderings?


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.