SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mountain West (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Salt Lake MSA Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150265)

Urban_logic Feb 19, 2009 5:07 PM

Yay Magna!! :yes:

urbanboy Feb 19, 2009 11:03 PM

Not sure what happened, so I'll post this again:

Senator Chris Buttars could hurt Utah P.R. and economic development.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top...FxVM2bCxA.cspx

esirhgih Feb 19, 2009 11:11 PM

I think that what happened is its irrelevant to development and nobody cares, hence no responses to your original post.

Is the Library in Salt Lake a part of the county library system or does the city have its own? I know there are some others in the city besides the main one on 400 S but I don't recall if they are a past of the county's libraries.

cololi Feb 19, 2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esirhgih (Post 4098513)
I think that what happened is its irrelevant to development and nobody cares, hence no responses to your original post.

Is the Library in Salt Lake a part of the county library system or does the city have its own? I know there are some others in the city besides the main one on 400 S but I don't recall if they are a past of the county's libraries.

SLC has it's own library system.

arkhitektor Feb 19, 2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedikermit (Post 4097564)
I can't wait to see the designs for West Jordan's new library...it's going to be the County Library System's new flagship/central library. I'm not expecting something on a Safdie level or anything, but it'll be interesting to see what they come up with. A new library there is overdue as well.

I'm glad to hear that W. Jordan is getting a new one. I noticed the current library for the first time the other day and it looked.... pretty sad.
http://www.slco.lib.ut.us/images/wjord.jpg

jmonkey Feb 20, 2009 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esirhgih (Post 4098513)

Oh, I care. I was just biting my tongue for the sake of forum sanity.

:hell:

T-Mac Feb 20, 2009 2:54 AM

The Enterprise mentioned that there will also be a In & Out Burger at Jordan Landing. I will post the article tomorrow night along with a few others. There is going to be a 100 unit gated apartment complex at 3300 S and 200 E that just got the go ahead and will begin construction this spring or summer. Also Ruth's Diner is going through a large renovation along with the Santa Fe building up Emigration and the state is trying to lure, I think the headquarters or a major expansion for the maker of Maxfields chocolates to the area. From what I remember it will bring around 100 jobs to the area that pay 25% higher than the median income. I will post the full articles tomorrow night.

Urban_logic Feb 20, 2009 4:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanboy (Post 4098494)
Not sure what happened, so I'll post this again:

Senator Chris Buttars could hurt Utah P.R. and economic development.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top...FxVM2bCxA.cspx

I will tell you that Butter's hardly represents my views in the slightest, and I voted accordingly in November. I'm glad that you are concerned, but I would have to agree that this topic is irrelevent to this thread.

urbanboy Feb 20, 2009 5:18 AM

:previous:
Oh, I guess I thought is was applicable because of the national attention it is getting. I've always thought there were ties between public perception and economic development/investment into a community.

jtrent77 Feb 20, 2009 6:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbanboy (Post 4099178)
Oh, I guess I thought is was applicable because of the national attention it is getting. I've always thought there were ties between public perception and economic development/investment into a community.

Yeah, yeah, and you use this excuse everytime to promote the same agenda. I like everyone else, don't think it applies...so if you want to continue to talk about this now OR when other issues like this arise in the future, please find a more suitable venue.

Urban_logic Feb 20, 2009 7:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtrent77 (Post 4099304)
Yeah, yeah, and you use this excuse everytime to promote the same agenda. I like everyone else, don't think it applies...so if you want to continue to talk about this now OR when other issues like this arise in the future, please find a more suitable venue.

Ah, common, you know we all love you Urbanboy, right? :grouphug: I think trent has a point, though.

SLC Projects Feb 20, 2009 7:31 AM

Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I can't wait to see the designs for West Jordan's new library...it's going to be the County Library System's new flagship/central library. I'm not expecting something on a Safdie level or anything, but it'll be interesting to see what they come up with. A new library there is overdue as well.

^^^^^
That new library is going in right behind my townhouse where I live. There is a site just west of the courthouse where this library is going. I can't wait.

urbanboy Feb 20, 2009 7:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtrent77 (Post 4099304)

Agenda? Who are you? You came out of nowhere. Welcome anyway.

TANGELD_SLC Feb 20, 2009 8:25 AM

Can't Wait For This One!

Jordan River marketplace moves forward
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_11735381
Big plans » City leaders have high hopes for the development -- and don't want just another strip mall.

West Valley City » Plans are still in the works for Jordan River Marketplace, but city leaders said they want to make sure the developer knows the city has "great expectations" for the project.

Councilman Steve Vincent said the council's biggest fear is the 30-acre development at 3300 South and 1150 West near the Jordan River will look like a strip mall.

"We want to avoid that at any cost," Vincent told developers during a council study meeting this week.

The developer had projected to start construction in the spring, but the earliest it might start now is late May or June, said Brad Knowlton, president of Ascent Construction Inc., which is the project's contractor.

Before the designs can be drafted, Knowlton said, the developer-city agreement must be signed. He said he's confident they will build an "upscale, quality development" where people will feel safe 24 hours a day.

Brent Garlick, the city's economic development director, said the agreement was delayed due to other contracts that it depended on, but expects the council to approve it by late March.

City leaders are anxious to see the designs, he said.

"They know what we want," Garlick said in an interview. "They need to show us what it is."

The idea for the multi-use development, which includes condos, shops and offices, started five years ago under the city's master plan for the vacant area near theUtah Cultural Celebration Center.

Last year, the city received two plans and the council decided to go with Ascent in September.

The marketplace is projected to be built in three phases; the first two at a cost of $78 million.

Soren Simonsen, a project architect, reassured the council during the meeting that the center of the development would have a "Main-Street feel," such as Park City, where people could easily walk around and gather in certain areas.

Mayor Dennis Nordfelt said he hopes the project is "extra extraordinary."

"We just want something special," he said. "We have great expectations for this development."

City leaders would ultimately have a chance to review the marketplace's design.

jsanchez@sltrib.com

:cool: :cheers: :cool:

jedikermit Feb 20, 2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLC Projects (Post 4099351)
That new library is going in right behind my townhouse where I live. There is a site just west of the courthouse where this library is going. I can't wait.

Yeah, they've got a great location for it...hope it's something good. My father-in-law works for the City of West Jordan with their contractors and licensing people. I'm hoping I can sneak an early peek when it comes down to it--the city hasn't seen the final proposal yet.

jedikermit Feb 20, 2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC (Post 4099386)
Mayor Dennis Nordfelt said he hopes the project is "extra extraordinary."

Oog. How about "extra-extra extraordinary" ?

I'm skeptical about this project--its location, the unfocused goals of the project, the design and implementation have all felt off-kilter since its inception. I worry that they're pouring millions of dollars into something to try and make it work, when they could put that money into redeveloping parts of WVC that could use the work more than a vacant field that could be more suitable as open space preservation.

shakman Feb 20, 2009 2:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedikermit (Post 4099478)
Oog. How about "extra-extra extraordinary" ?

I'm skeptical about this project--its location, the unfocused goals of the project, the design and implementation have all felt off-kilter since its inception. I worry that they're pouring millions of dollars into something to try and make it work, when they could put that money into redeveloping parts of WVC that could use the work more than a vacant field that could be more suitable as open space preservation.

I agree with your point.

From a different percpective, I see it as an investment that can create more funds to redevelope other parts of WVC. Also, if successful, other investors may have interest in WVC.

wrendog Feb 20, 2009 4:34 PM

In n Out for AF announced.

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/300681/17/

This is the site that had been previously referred to on this board. Good news for me! :)

SLC Projects Feb 20, 2009 5:45 PM

Wow this is crazy. In n Out is going everywhere.
First Draper, then west valley then jordan landing and now AF.

jtrent77 Feb 20, 2009 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLC Projects (Post 4099942)
Wow this is crazy. In n Out is going everywhere.
First Draper, then west valley then jordan landing and now AF.

Well, we all know one of their primary objectives is to get rid of a certain competitor, what better way to do it then to come in with all your forces--afterall the competitor has one store now with just one other planned I believe. Should be an interesting battle to see if both survive.