SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

MelH Jun 26, 2018 1:17 PM

I assume its ok to include Mount Pearl development in this thread? Someone re-direct me if not.

Looks like there will be a new Winners/Homesense opening in Mt Pearl...no idea where though. Near Wal-Mart? Is there any land left there for development?

https://jobs.tjx.com/job/Mount-Pearl...-NL/479526200/

rthomasd Jun 26, 2018 1:47 PM

I had heard that's going to be in Danny's Galway development ??

NewfBC Jun 26, 2018 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelH (Post 8233096)
I assume its ok to include Mount Pearl development in this thread? Someone re-direct me if not.

Looks like there will be a new Winners/Homesense opening in Mt Pearl...no idea where though. Near Wal-Mart? Is there any land left there for development?

https://jobs.tjx.com/job/Mount-Pearl...-NL/479526200/

I haven't seen a combined Marshalls/Homesense yet. Have seen many Winners/Homesense.

Ron.

rthomasd Jun 26, 2018 6:54 PM

About 3 weeks ago it was reported that Marshall, Homesense and PetSmart would be part of Galway.
TJX Canada Spokeperson, Erin O'Brien confirmed at that time that Marshalls and Homesense would be coming to Galway in Spring 2019 and a construction tender had been called.

Perhaps they think Mt Pearl is part of St. John's.

SpongeG Jun 26, 2018 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewfBC (Post 8233239)
I haven't seen a combined Marshalls/Homesense yet. Have seen many Winners/Homesense.

Ron.

There is one in Edmonton at Manning Town Centre. Have been there a few years ago. Its Marshalls connected to Homesense.

J_Murphy Jun 28, 2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

After close to two years without an anchor tenant at the Torbay Road Mall in St. John’s, the property will be home to at least three new commercial tenants this year.

Montreal-based Toulon Development Corporation is in the process of renovating a sizeable portion of the facility, originally built in the early 1970s, to become the new home for a Good Life Fitness and a Home Hardware.

Documents on the Toulon website indicate that Goodlife — replacing the fitness chain’s location in Torbay Road Plaza — will have a 22,492-square foot footprint, while Home Hardware will occupy 29,000 square feet. Both spaces combined were formerly home to an ICT Group call centre — closed in the spring of 2014 — and many years before that was occupied by a Zellers department store, which ceased operation in 1996.

Before those operations get underway, the newest tenant will be Global Pet Foods, the largest Canadian-owned specialty retailer catering to all things pets.

The Atlantic Canada-based operation will occupy a 4,000-square foot home in between East Coast Mortgages and Campus Rings.

Floor plans for the building indicate there is still some commercial space available for lease.

Meanwhile, long time tenants China House Restaurant are looking to sell the business, hoping someone will keep the 40-year-old Chinese food restaurant alive.

Not too far down the road from the Torbay Road Mall, Breen’s Deli at 44 Elizabeth Avenue is closed permanently after the owners decided not to renew the lease with Parkland Fuel, the building’s owner.

The Logy Bay Road location and the Portugal Cove deli and convenience store remain open for business.

•••

Since opening its doors in Kelligrews in 2012, Tiny’s Bar and Grill has built a loyal following and customer base.

Now the restaurant, owned and operated by Conception Bay South entrepreneur Dave Cluney, has expanded into St. John’s, taking up residence in the former home of Redrock Bar & Grill at 686 Topsail Road.

Redrock closed its doors last January, after nearly eight years in business

•••
For those curious about what’s going on at the corner of Kenmount Road and Kelsey Drive, a previously unoccupied lot, sources say it is going to be a North Atlantic gas bar and orange store.

A number of the older homes and sheds nearby on Kenmount Road have since been demolished.

•••

TJX Companies must be doing well with its first Newfoundland Marshalls location on Stavanger Drive, because the parent company is advertising for a number of management positions for a new Marshalls HomeSense location planned for Mount Pearl

http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...-johns-222063/

Sox Jun 28, 2018 12:51 PM

Firstly:
how many pet supply stores can we possibly need in this goddamn city ?? Seems like a new one opens up every week. There's no way they can all survive !
Let me guess Dollarama will also be opening in Galway, with Tim's Hortons next door ???
Just going to be all the same stores we already have . Blah blah blah

Second:
If the Marshall's is anything like that piece of trash store on Stavanger drive, count this guy out , as being a customer .

I suspect Galway is going to be nothing more than re-hash of Stavanger drive. All the same stores, nothing different. Costco will be the draw, and then all the familiar stores, will open second or third or fourth locations, just to be close to Costco. Why can't we get an IKEA or AMC Theatres or Bass pro shop, or Forever 21 .......Something different for God's sake !

My rant for the day. I know my people have the same thoughts as well.

J_Murphy Jun 28, 2018 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox (Post 8235673)
Firstly:
how many pet supply stores can we possibly need in this goddamn city ?? Seems like a new one opens up every week. There's no way they can all survive !

I thought the same thing. The selection of dog clothing in this City is better than the selection of men's clothing ffs.

Larla77 Jun 28, 2018 5:02 PM

Quote:

I suspect Galway is going to be nothing more than re-hash of Stavanger drive. All the same stores, nothing different. Costco will be the draw, and then all the familiar stores, will open second or third or fourth locations, just to be close to Costco. Why can't we get an IKEA or AMC Theatres or Bass pro shop, or Forever 21 .......Something different for God's sake !

I seem to recall that when Galway was first announced they were going to have stores just like that - ones we didn't have and that were new to the province. Looks like Danny wasn't able to make that happen for all his bluster.

Arrakis Jun 28, 2018 5:11 PM

Why would you think it would be any different than any of the other big box parks? The Shoppes At Galway is being run by Plaza.ca which owns and runs the Village Mall. So if you go to their tenant list you’ll likely see what’s likely to appear at Galway.

A full size IKEA store would never survive here with a population base of St. John’s. We would need at least double the city population plus being isolated here doesn’t help either. They may however open a smaller pickup store which they announced last year for locations in Canada.

I agree with your comment on pet stores though. It’s kinda crazy how many are in metro.

I would imagine once the new renovations and additional retail space is complete at Avalon Mall, you will likely see Forever 21, H&M set up there.

I’m not really getting why people are so infatuated with Forever 21 and H&M. They are just clothing stores like all the others.

Quote:

Firstly:
Let me guess Dollarama will also be opening in Galway, with Tim's Hortons next door ???

Second:
If the Marshall's is anything like that piece of trash store on Stavanger drive, count this guy out , as being a customer .

djslue Jun 28, 2018 5:13 PM

Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas would do amazing here in my opinion. Only thing is it would hurt some of the MANY outdoor/hunting shops in the city

Arrakis Jun 28, 2018 5:27 PM

Why would you think it would be any different than any of the other big box parks? The Shoppes At Galway is being run by Plaza.ca which owns and runs the Village Mall. So if you go to their tenant list you’ll likely see what’s likely to appear at Galway.

A full size IKEA store would never survive here with a population base of St. John’s. We would need at least double the city population plus being isolated here doesn’t help either. They may however open a smaller pickup store which they announced last year for locations in Canada.

I agree with your comment on pet stores though. It’s kinda crazy how many are in metro.

I would imagine once the new renovations and additional retail space is complete at Avalon Mall, you will likely see Forever 21, H&M set up there.

I’m not really getting why people are so infatuated with Forever 21 and H&M. They are just clothing stores like all the others.

Quote:

Firstly:

Second:

jeddy1989 Jun 28, 2018 9:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8236032)

The "population is too small for IKEA" argument is a crock. I've been to the one in Linkoping in Sweden which has a metro population of 155K. There's even one in Sundsvall which only has 95k people. I think people assume our population is too small for stuff as a default excuse. Even Reykjavik has one.
:shrug:

Arrakis Jun 28, 2018 11:13 PM

Say what you will. I feel the chances of a full size IKEA coming to town here is very unlikely, plus our population dwindles every year.

I’m sure all the market and business studies were probably done too in the past to see if was viable here.

I really dont think people here would support that type of store here anyway on a continued sustained basis. I think the novelty would wear off quickly. Just my opinion.

It’s only natural for Ikea’s Scandinavian style to be more popular near its home market in Europe. Prob why smaller markets there support it like in Iceland.

There’s so many different factors at play before a company can decide if a certain place is worthy of investing in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 8236366)
The "population is too small for IKEA" argument is a crock. I've been to the one in Linkoping in Sweden which has a metro population of 155K. There's even one in Sundsvall which only has 95k people. I think people assume our population is too small for stuff as a default excuse. Even Reykjavik has one.
:shrug:

elizabethf1985 Jul 4, 2018 12:57 PM

Belbin's Grocery has sold their store to Colemans. This was posted on their Facebook page this morning:

"Take good care of your staff and customers, and you’ll make a decent living. And who knows? Eventually, the likes of Colemans might come knocking on the door.” That was the advice Robert Belbin received from his father some 30 years ago. Today, his prediction came true: We’re proud to announce that Belbin’s Grocery has officially joined the Colemans family. As we enter this new chapter, our beloved customers can expect the same quality products and service they’ve always received from our home on Quidi Vidi Road. We thank you for these 75 years and we look forward to continuing to serve you. Read the official press release here: https://bit.ly/2KJ91wH.

They said the name will remain Belbin's Grocery, which I think is nice. I've been going there since I was a child.

Larla77 Jul 4, 2018 1:07 PM

New article about the Avalon Mall expansion including some sketches that seem new to me. After the redevelopment/expansion they'll have 20,000 more square feet and room for 36 new tenants.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...-Pf-A.twitter=

Arrakis Jul 4, 2018 4:46 PM

Great article. Thanks for posting link. The pics look awesome. Gonna really be exciting when all enovations are complete.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larla77 (Post 8241111)
New article about the Avalon Mall expansion including some sketches that seem new to me. After the redevelopment/expansion they'll have 20,000 more square feet and room for 36 new tenants.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...-Pf-A.twitter=

SpongeG Jul 4, 2018 9:21 PM

spending millions to renovate and they leave that 80s/90s tubular looking awning thing over a window lol

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...pg?format=750w

Arrakis Jul 4, 2018 10:24 PM

Give em a break man. They just started the renos will be continuing them over the next few years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 8241558)
spending millions to renovate and they leave that 80s/90s tubular looking awning thing over a window lol

Marty_Mcfly Jul 5, 2018 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 8241558)

I can't tell if this is just a sketch for the Rec Room addition which is currently being built, or if it's for everything. Since the entire mall exterior is about to remodeled, I imagine pretty much all of the ground level won't look like that when it's done, and will probably match the exterior images from the article.

That little arch has always made me lol though. It's a back entrance through the mall, and I think it's been like that since the mall opened :haha: