SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

dl3000 Aug 26, 2009 7:09 AM

Haha, thanks for the compliments. That post just brought my frustrations to the surface. My whole interest in Civil Engineering and Architecture came from San Diego's lack of what I mentioned above. So many imaginary maps drawn of airports and transit and I know I'm not the only one here who does that and definitely not the most skilled. But that literally was the motivation of my interests.

Just thought I'd be the "Voice of Progress" for all of us who disagree with "voice of reason." To each his own I suppose. It's why nothing much gets accomplished around here anyway.

Derek Aug 27, 2009 2:11 AM

Seriously dude, I would vote for you if you ran for mayor. :D

bmfarley Aug 27, 2009 3:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voice of reason (Post 4422576)

San Diego isnt perfect. It approved the worthless light rail that cant pay its own way, due to poor ridership.

All in all, I love it here, also I enjoy reading this site and all of its well thought out comments.

Don't be a nimrod. No roadway or highway pays for itself... why must you think light-rail needs to? The Trolley is among the most utilized and beloved in the country. It's in car commercials for lords sake! And by itself, over 30,000 people ride to downtown every weekday.... relieving the need for that many parking spaces.

By the way, ignoring traffic impacts... how much would it cost the public and private sector to build that many parking spaces if the Trolley were not around... at $30,000 per spot? Mmmm.... almost $1 billion! And at about $700 per spot in annual operating cost to maintain/manage... would cost taxpayers and the private sector over $20 million each year.

Some people need to get out and visit the world... or at least get out of their own home more often!

Fusey Aug 27, 2009 3:28 PM

My only pet peeve with the trolley is that it's incredibly slow -- especially downtown. Personally, I only use it when I go to Chargers games.

eburress Aug 27, 2009 3:32 PM

I personally think the Trolley system is a good start (it was considered by some to be the prototypical system when built, if I remember correctly) but it is currently very incomplete.

It would be much more relevant if it made it up PB, UTC, Sorrento Valley, and such.

eburress Aug 27, 2009 3:43 PM

For some perspective, here's what another city is doing with it's light rail:

http://www.lightrailnow.org/news/n_dal_2008-02a.htm

Dallas' is a massive, successful system that is undergoing further expansion. When completed, the system will include 91 miles of line and 63 stations. Dallas' system currently has about 30K fewer riders than San Diego's (San Diego's system is currently larger), but I imagine that will change as its new lines come on-line through some of the city's most dense and heavily traveled areas.

http://www.lightrailnow.org/images02...07sep_DART.gif

http://www.lightrailnow.org/images02...eline_DART.gif

IconRPCV Aug 27, 2009 7:31 PM

^^^^^^^^^

The moment I saw you say another city for comparison I knew you were going to bring up Dallas.

eburress Aug 28, 2009 1:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 4427647)
^^^^^^^^^

The moment I saw you say another city for comparison I knew you were going to bring up Dallas.

hahahaha - it's how I roll. I guess I should change my ways - if I can't be with the one I love, then I guess I ought to love the one I'm with (SD). :)

(Seriously though, in so many of the ways in which San Diego is failing, Dallas is succeeding. Replace Dallas with Houston or another city though and I think the lessons are still the same.)

Derek Aug 28, 2009 1:36 AM

:laugh:

I agree, we NEED new lines. At least bring it up 5th Ave. up into Hillcrest.

IconRPCV Aug 28, 2009 2:46 AM

The trolley system really needs to be expanded I agree. We started off so well with the light rail but as of late we have really lagged behind with it. It needs to go places where people would actually use it for something other than the occasional transportation to a baseball or football game. It makes absolutly no sense that the trolley does not go up Park Blvd. to Uptown.

I am a born and raised Californian so I am not so easily riled up by the lack of initiative by the city leaders of SD, it is what I have come to expect I guess. I wish SD would get off its butt and get something done, but the whole system in California is made to thwart development until every single individual has had their say and expressed their opinion, remeber the mess trying to get PETCO built.

While I feel this to be too extreme for sure, I also feel that the anything goes develpoment at the expense of the environment and personal rights that Texas allows is equally wrong and misguided.

SD isn't Dallas and California is not Texas. My local pride I guess gets alittle hurt when I see people in our forum extolling the virtues of other cities, at SD's expense.

But I guess I would be the annoying one singing the praises of SD over in the Dallas forum if I ever was forced to live over in the Lone Star State.

Now if the douchebags that run SD let the Chargers move out of the county, my undying allegiance will be severed and I will be looking for another place to call home.

kpexpress Aug 28, 2009 3:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 4428227)
:laugh:

I agree, we NEED new lines. At least bring it up 5th Ave. up into Hillcrest.

I want a street car going up fifth ave from Horton Plaza!!!!!

Derek Aug 28, 2009 3:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4428459)
I want a street car going up fifth ave from Horton Plaza!!!!!

That would work too! Or even a freaking monorail above 5th!

Derek Aug 28, 2009 3:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IconRPCV (Post 4428333)
The trolley system really needs to be expanded I agree. We started off so well with the light rail but as of late we have really lagged behind with it. It needs to go places where people would actually use it for something other than the occasional transportation to a baseball or football game. It makes absolutly no sense that the trolley does not go up Park Blvd. to Uptown.

I am a born and raised Californian so I am not so easily riled up by the lack of initiative by the city leaders of SD, it is what I have come to expect I guess. I wish SD would get off its butt and get something done, but the whole system in California is made to thwart development until every single individual has had their say and expressed their opinion, remeber the mess trying to get PETCO built.

While I feel this to be too extreme for sure, I also feel that the anything goes develpoment at the expense of the environment and personal rights that Texas allows is equally wrong and misguided.

SD isn't Dallas and California is not Texas. My local pride I guess gets alittle hurt when I see people in our forum extolling the virtues of other cities, at SD's expense.

But I guess I would be the annoying one singing the praises of SD over in the Dallas forum if I ever was forced to live over in the Lone Star State.

Now if the douchebags that run SD let the Chargers move out of the county, my undying allegiance will be severed and I will be looking for another place to call home.

I would ALSO vote for you if you ran for mayor. :D

dl3000 Aug 28, 2009 5:10 AM

Quote:

I was born and raised in San Diego, and I guess it has been the fact that I see what other cities have and have always lived in LA's shadow that I just want San Diego so badly to have all these things to increase the quality of life because it has been too long that locals rely on the weather and geography for it. I don't really care about the political system and what to expect from it, I just wish this stuff would get done.

eburress Aug 28, 2009 3:24 PM

Quote:

You and me both. This place is dead to me as soon as the Chargers leave!

Fusey Aug 28, 2009 5:39 PM

Quote:

Move to Spain and go to FC Barcelona games. That's what I'm doing. :tup:

dl3000 Aug 28, 2009 7:38 PM

I'm all for that. Best team of the best league in my opinion.

IconRPCV Aug 28, 2009 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuchsia (Post 4429334)
Move to Spain and go to FC Barcelona games. That's what I'm doing. :tup:

Well I love Barcelona, it is just about my favorite city; but football, the non-american variety is pretty boring IMO. So I will move to Barcelona and watch the NFL on satelite.

bmfarley Aug 29, 2009 6:18 PM

Quote:

The Trolley is a fantastic system for what it does, but it does lack coverage. It is also choked downtown.... only so many trains can go up and down C Street because it must compete with autos at street level; stop and go, stop and go... and so forth. If new lines come downtown... they cannot go across that street... which has the most regular/popular destinations.

voice of reason Aug 30, 2009 11:12 PM

Same ole, same ole

Move the airport, bitch.....moan....wah,wah,wah.. but where? I have a bright idea, put it out in the ocean. Great Idea! we are geniusus, why isnt everyone smart like us. Cause they are douce bags, yea, you are right. I think I will move to Barcelona. Last week you were moving to Chicago? Oh well, I am going thru the alphabet. I started at Atlanta, remember last month? Doesn't C come before B?

Why won't they expand the trolley, they are doucebags, yeah that's it! You hit it right on the head.

I like your picture, you are beautiful.
Thats not me dork, thats my fantasy squeeze.

Coooooooooooool. Played any new video games?

Yawn. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz snore...........