SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Cities whose skylines make you cry (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239944)

JAYNYC Aug 10, 2019 5:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8654562)
Nobody has ever claimed that isnt the case

:rolleyes:

Obadno Aug 10, 2019 5:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAYNYC (Post 8654611)
:rolleyes:

Nobody has ever claimed that Phoenix doesn't have a disappointing skyline.

Some have claimed that two very similar cities like NYC and Philly are "completely different" but nobody has ever claimed such absurdities about Phoenix.

photoLith Aug 10, 2019 11:44 AM

San Antonio is really disappointing for how huge it is. The one good thing is that it probably has the most historically intact downtown in Texas by far and is a great urban experience. Just needs a few 600-800 feet towers.

And wow, guess I never really realized how utterly depressing Jacksonvilles skyline is. It like gave me anxiety to look at those Jacksonville photos.

CVG Aug 10, 2019 1:15 PM

Being split down the middle definitely hurts Jacksonvilles skyline(and its downtown in general) but it is about what I expect for a metro of 1.5 million, but to each their own I guess.

Raleigh and Orlando are the 2 that popped in my head when I first read the thread title. Phoenix is also a good addition.

pj3000 Aug 10, 2019 2:40 PM

Jacksonville’s setting makes it pretty good, in my opinion. Sure, it’s nothing that impressive from a pure buildings/density standpoint... but it’s really not that big of a city, so I don’t expect too much more.

I mean, for a city under 2M... it’s got a 600-footer and a 500-footer... and maybe I’m weird, but I actually like the Postmodern-y Barnett Bank Tower (or whatever it is now) and the ‘70s leftover-acid trip-designed Wells Fargo. They just don’t have peers around them, so they stand out so much. But if either of those towers were in another, more dense city, they would be touted as standouts rather than maligned like they are.

To me, downtown Jacksonville makes a MUCH better impression in person... mainly when traveling thru it over one of the bridges. The width of the St. John’s River makes it more of a bay style setting, and the overall layout, with development on both banks provides nice vistas that allow understanding of why the city is there... because it’s a highly functional and pretty port location.

Aug 10, 2019 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lio45 (Post 8653371)
St. Louis' skyline. Seeing that stupid arch has made me cringe ever since I've been aware of what it replaced.

Though I don't think those buildings (mostly in the 3-6 floor range) would make much of an impact on the skyline if they were still around.

Yeah, the canonical Arch shot from the east side is pretty underwhelming and the topography doesn't cooperate from that vantage point. The downtown skyline looks fuller from pretty much every other angle. It definitely lacks height; a shiny new tallest or two would do wonders if strategically placed. Thankfully Ballpark Village is helping to balance the skyline a bit more by filling in a major hole on the south side. Given the success of the first residential high rise and the first office building it's highly likely we'll see more.

https://secure.meetupstatic.com/phot...461799558.jpeg
source

https://live.staticflickr.com/3279/3...aa3594f0_o.jpg
source

Personally I think the urban skyline from the southwest is quite pleasant:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/stlchunk.jpg

P.S. I think Jacksonville has an attractive skyline. Nice shape and it looks good against the water.

pj3000 Aug 10, 2019 9:52 PM

Saint Louis' skyline is impressive when you drive in from the east over the I-55/64 bridge. You get a sense of the depth of the urban environment because you're able to view downtown and to see all the buildings making their mark in the "background", as the skyline stretches all the way to the central west end and Clayton. It gives off a "big city feel" to me.

jtown,man Aug 11, 2019 4:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj3000 (Post 8654743)
Jacksonville’s setting makes it pretty good, in my opinion. Sure, it’s nothing that impressive from a pure buildings/density standpoint... but it’s really not that big of a city, so I don’t expect too much more.

I mean, for a city under 2M... it’s got a 600-footer and a 500-footer... and maybe I’m weird, but I actually like the Postmodern-y Barnett Bank Tower (or whatever it is now) and the ‘70s leftover-acid trip-designed Wells Fargo. They just don’t have peers around them, so they stand out so much. But if either of those towers were in another, more dense city, they would be touted as standouts rather than maligned like they are.

To me, downtown Jacksonville makes a MUCH better impression in person... mainly when traveling thru it over one of the bridges. The width of the St. John’s River makes it more of a bay style setting, and the overall layout, with development on both banks provides nice vistas that allow understanding of why the city is there... because it’s a highly functional and pretty port location.

I'll never forget as a kid my dad was taking me and my sisters to the beach in Jacksonville. For some reason he stopped on one side of the river and we all got out and looked at the skyline. As a very young kid(maybe 4-5) I think I can confidently say thats when I fell in love with skyscrapers. The skyline was massive for my young and uneducated mind. So yeah, Jacksonville always has a place in my heart.

Maldive Aug 11, 2019 4:44 PM

Aerial shots of Houston and Dallas don't make me cry (except the freeways), but 2 decades later ... they kinda look the same.

Texas had the 15th? largest economy in the world during glory days.

JManc Aug 11, 2019 5:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maldive (Post 8655296)
Aerial shots of Houston and Dallas don't make me cry (except the freeways), but 2 decades later ... they kinda look the same.

Houston and Dallas haven't built a lot of tall tower's 500' or above for some reason but both have built a crap ton of sub 500' buildings in 20 years. That just doesn't make an impact as much on the skyline...

R@ptor Aug 11, 2019 5:26 PM

About half the cities in the former USSR with its hundreds of monotonous and rundown commieblocks.

dc_denizen Aug 11, 2019 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maldive (Post 8655296)

Huh? Texas would be the 10th largest economy in the world, if it were independent. Bigger than Canada and South Korea

JAYNYC Aug 11, 2019 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8655311)
Houston and Dallas haven't built a lot of tall tower's 500' or above for some reason but both have built a crap ton of sub 500' buildings in 20 years. That just doesn't make an impact as much on the skyline...

There's no way Houston or Dallas should be included in this discussion.

The skylines of both cities are easily, without question/debate, Tier 2 skylines (in the U.S.).

pj3000 Aug 12, 2019 4:56 PM

I would say Houston and Dallas are easily “tier 1” US skylines, unless an arbitrary tier 1 only includes NYC and Chicago.

Handro Aug 12, 2019 5:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj3000 (Post 8655946)
I would say Houston and Dallas are easily “tier 1” US skylines, unless an arbitrary tier 1 only includes NYC and Chicago.

My unscientific and subjective Tiers 1 and 2:

Tier 1:
NYC
Chicago
SF
Seattle

Tier 2:
LA
Dallas
Houston
Boston
Pittsburgh
Philly
Miami

Investing In Chicago Aug 12, 2019 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8655962)
My unscientific and subjective Tiers 1 and 2:

Tier 1:
NYC
Chicago
SF
Seattle

Tier 2:
LA
Dallas
Houston
Boston
Pittsburgh
Philly
Miami

NYC is on another level - it probably has more highrises than every other city you have listed COMBINED. Chicago, SF, Seattle (???) are not on the same level/tier.

Steely Dan Aug 12, 2019 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago (Post 8656018)
NYC is on another level - it probably has more highrises than every other city you have listed COMBINED. Chicago, SF, Seattle (???) are not on the same level/tier.

based purely on numbers, i would agree that NYC is in its own tier, skyline-wise, relative to the rest of the US. chicago would also be in its own tier below NYC. the rest would all start in tier 3.

Razor Aug 12, 2019 6:10 PM

Just to chime in here.I really like both Cincinnati's and St Louis's eclectic skylines.I like their diversity. Shiny green and blue glass just doesn't do it for me.

I've never been to either, but for whatever reason I equate /romanticize St. Louis with paddle wheel river boats. My mind just goes there.
My own city, Ottawa, is pretty underwhelming in the height department, but has decent density. Like Jacksonville, it's still a fairly small metro.

edale Aug 12, 2019 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8656025)
based purely on numbers, i would agree that NYC is in its own tier, skyline-wise, relative to the rest of the US. chicago would also be in its own tier below NYC. the rest would all start in tier 3.

I agree with this.

1) New York (really there are like 4-5 different NYC 'skylines')

2) Chicago

3) LA, SF, Seattle, Philly, Miami, Houston, etc.

lio45 Aug 12, 2019 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edale (Post 8656051)
I agree with this.

2) Chicago

I nearly agree, but IMO it's:

2) Chicago