SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

kpexpress Sep 13, 2008 8:33 AM

Skyscraperpage should make an iphone app.

Derek Sep 13, 2008 6:08 PM

This thread is so dead. :(

bmfarley Sep 13, 2008 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 3797642)
This thread is so dead. :(

Development is kinda dead too. What's there to discuss... other than the completion of VP, Bayside, Saphire, Breeza and a couple others mid-way to completion?

There is Nancy Graham to discuss..... which, if convicted of lieing could get as much as 18 months in jail, per todays UT. But, that is also likely not to happen.... and probably would not unless there are other crimes possibly committed. Remember, innocent until proven guilty. For the record, I currently choose to believe the best in people and take the position she only mislead others for privacy concerns surrounding her divorce and not to seek/obtain financial advantage with her relationship(s) with Related and/or Lennar. I also think... gee, that would be pretty stupid of a CCDC CEO to thing they could get away with something like that... someone would find out eventually. Nancy is not stupid.

Derek Sep 14, 2008 12:57 AM

What exactly did she do?

bmfarley Sep 14, 2008 4:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 3798222)
What exactly did she do?

She admitted to lying on public disclosure documents about having financial relations to Related, a developer, while she was CEO of CCDC. Related had won the contract to build the 7th & Market development.

She claimed that the purpose of lying was for privacy matters related to divorce proceedings with her husband.

It is not known if there was other intent for lying, such as personal financial gain by representing CCDC in negotiations WITH Related. She said she buffered herself at CCDC with Related dealings/negotiations on the 7th & Market development by recuesing herself from all conversations with the development and developer, and hired an outside firm to handle negotiations. But, we later learned she continued to participate in internal discussions about the project.

Derek Sep 14, 2008 4:28 AM

What a shame. :(

Marina_Guy Sep 15, 2008 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmfarley (Post 3798454)
She admitted to lying on public disclosure documents about having financial relations to Related, a developer, while she was CEO of CCDC. Related had won the contract to build the 7th & Market development.

She claimed that the purpose of lying was for privacy matters related to divorce proceedings with her husband.

It is not known if there was other intent for lying, such as personal financial gain by representing CCDC in negotiations WITH Related. She said she buffered herself at CCDC with Related dealings/negotiations on the 7th & Market development by recuesing herself from all conversations with the development and developer, and hired an outside firm to handle negotiations. But, we later learned she continued to participate in internal discussions about the project.

I don't think she has admitted to lying on the disclosure forms. In fact she has hired Paul Pfingst as her attorney to defend her. She has not come clean.

Nancy Graham has an ethics problem. And her failure to abide by the law and her extremely poor judgment, caused a very good project to die and has put a black eye on the Downtown redevelopment agency. She should have come clean along time ago. She lied and she better be punished.

The sad part of all of this is there has been NO single public figure who has come out and strongly supported CCDC or downtown redevelopment in general. The Mayor, as far as I can tell doesn't even work in this town. Hello Jerry Sanders????

SDCAL Sep 15, 2008 5:33 AM

The bitch Nancy Graham has set development back in our city a great deal :(

Already in the middle of a downturned economy and housing bust, this was not a good time to have the final nail in the coffin be this corrupt pig

If you look at CCDCs website, which used to be the lone advocate for new developments amongst the NIMBYs, it too is dead

All the focus is on finding a new president for CCDC and auditing past projects to see if there was conflict of interest. The "new projects" page was last updated in early April, and I'd be surprised to see it updated at all this year unless it's to remove dead projects

I think we should all be angry with this incompitant bitch who shat on our great city, but it's also important not to let her corruption kill what litle momentum our downtown still has

kpexpress Sep 16, 2008 11:13 PM

What is this?

While walking back from the dog park today I noticed some construction going on in the old Carnation Factory Loft building that is now part of Icon. I have been told that it was something like Sushi. Is this a sushi restaurant or a performing arts center? Anyone have any more info on this place?

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC03587.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC03586.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...2/DSC03585.jpg

mello Sep 19, 2008 6:36 AM

Yeah guys lets not let this thread die. There is still a lot to talk about here. Now is an interesting time to reflect on downtown San Diego's building boom. There are many things to discuss. Like what ever happened to the office tower boom that so many were expecting back in 2004 and 2005?

Is Irvine still planning to break ground on their "signature tower" this fall? When will Lane Field ever get off the ground? Will it finally bring a 5 star status chain type hotel to our downtown?? Why don't we have a Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, or Shangri La, in Downtown SD?

Really these are great questions, I think our downtown deserves one, hell downtown LA got a nice tall Ritz Carlton. We have many nice hotels downtown but not one that really stands out. We have large hotels and boutique type joints but I think we really need a glamorous 5 star chain to complete our hotel portfolio...

Derek Sep 19, 2008 5:44 PM

Go build one. :D

I'll help.

El Güero Sep 20, 2008 1:13 AM

This is rather interesting: http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/...subcategory/31

Skyline/views

Rank Score City
1 4.80 New York
2 4.80 Chicago
3 4.79 San Francisco
4 4.70 Seattle
5 4.60 Honolulu
6 4.47 Las Vegas
7 4.43 San Diego
8 4.42 Denver
9 4.40 Portland, Oregon
10 4.34 Boston
11 4.23 Miami
12 4.22 Washington, D.C.
13 4.21 Minneapolis/St. Paul
14 4.05 Austin
15 4.04 Santa Fe
16 4.03 Charleston
17 4.02 Philadelphia
18 3.87 San Antonio
19 3.85 Atlanta
20 3.84 Nashville
21 3.82 Phoenix/Scottsdale
22 3.78 Dallas/Fort Worth
23 3.65 Los Angeles
24 3.59 New Orleans
25 3.24 Orlando

Viva-city Sep 20, 2008 3:52 PM

I've been lurking and recently re-registered

I suspect I know many of you posting on this board.

I've been a Downtown resident nearly 17 years, and am extremely interested in the continued growth of our community.

It goes without saying, that the recent double dealing of Nancy Graham pains me. I was not a fan of Nancy. Her reign at CCDC was one of fear. Nary a tear was shed upon her departure.

The excess monies spent on studies, planning, discussions, just wasted. Too much time and money was spent on projects that now have been terminated. And, what will be the cost of cleaning up her tainted mess. Sad!

I look forward to participating in the exchange about our community.

Sandra

P.S. Sushi is a theater company that formerly occupied the ReinCarnation Building prior to the site housing the Icon. There was an agreement made between CCDC and the developer that a space in Icon would be created for Sushi. They are scheduled to open in November, though the pictures taken show they have much to do before opening.

kpexpress Sep 20, 2008 9:39 PM

Thanks for the update ^^^ What kind of theater is Sushi?

And what's up with this board? Seems like discussions here rival the sluggish growth of our city.

laguna Sep 20, 2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 3812821)
Thanks for the update ^^^ What kind of theater is Sushi?

And what's up with this board? Seems like discussions here rival the sluggish growth of our city.

The frequent posters have turned this into a mosh pit of vitrol against their least favorite politicians. Kind of a DailyKos lonely hearts club.

Derek Sep 20, 2008 10:53 PM

I spend the majority of my time in the Skybar. There isn't much to talk about in here unfortunately. :(

Viva-city Sep 21, 2008 6:04 AM

Sushi

Here's a link: http://www.sushiart.org/board.html

Known for its' alternative and contemporary art performances.

bmfarley Sep 21, 2008 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viva-city (Post 3813452)
Here's a link: http://www.sushiart.org/board.html

Known for its' alternative and contemporary art performances.

Well, I obviously did not read close enough before I visited the site. I was anticipating a sushi resturant next door to my gym.... and I could get some grub to go after a workout. Imagine my confusion when I then began to slowly put 2 and 2 together. In between thoughts I imagined peeps eating sushi off nude performers tummy's and thought that might be interesting. Har har har.

kpexpress Sep 22, 2008 7:39 AM

I was making some copies at Office Depot (the one E street and PCH) and I asked the lady who was helping me if she knew who owned the lot that the building sits on, she said BOSA Development.

Anyone know what is planned to go along PCH between Electra and Archstone? And does anyone have an update on what is going on with the Navy Pier Complex that Papa Doug is supposed to be redeveloping?

Fusey Sep 22, 2008 4:27 PM

^ I've always wondered who owned that land. Hopefully Bosa is planning something nice for it.