SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

LosAngelesDreamin Sep 13, 2012 3:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 5829489)
I don't think they're going anywhere either. What happened to all the hype around a stadium in LA? Oh yeah, it died.

it didn't die, they have two stadium proposals ready to hit the dirt sorta.. one in Downtown and the other in Grand Crossing.. just waiting for a team to decide to move.

HurricaneHugo Sep 13, 2012 3:33 AM

Rams will be moving soon, book it.

SDfan Sep 13, 2012 4:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 5829483)
The Chargers won't move to LA. This is just posturing to get a new stadium. Every city that has needed a new stadium has used the same LA crutch. The reason I know it will never happen is because LA has always hated the Chargers because they are former rivals. LA fans would rather root for UCLA and USC. Not going to happen.

I do agree with you though that there is plenty to be down about in this city.

I would agree with you, but its been 10 years since the start of this search, there is no money.

As for the Charger's being hated in LA, I have no way of figuring that out (sounds like a fun research poll though).

And if not LA, there is always San Antonio. (epic loss if that happened)

BrandonJXN Sep 13, 2012 4:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 5829489)
I don't think they're going anywhere either. What happened to all the hype around a stadium in LA? Oh yeah, it died.

Meanwhile in Los Angeles...

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_214...elatively-soon

Quote:

Los Angeles positioned for NFL to return 'relatively soon'

By Vincent Bonsignore, Staff Writer
09/08/2012

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - To understand how real the NFL returning to Los Angeles is, you have to travel back five months and 1,929 miles to the Minnesota state Capitol in St. Paul.

A stadium proposal to keep the state's beloved Vikings in Minneapolis was teetering on collapse, the House Government Operations and Elections Committee voting 9-6 against a deal previously struck between the team, the governor, legislative leaders, and the mayor of Minneapolis.

The Vikings were stalled at the goal line; in front of them the state government made like the Purple People Eaters blocking their path to the end zone.

Meanwhile, the clock was ticking.

With the Vikings' lease at the outdated Metrodome already expired and Los Angeles looming large with two viable stadium proposals in place - not to mention the plane owned by Vikings owner Zygi Wilf parked at a Southern California airport - the possibility of the club fleeing Minnesota for California seemed as real as January snowfall in the Twin Cities.

And, just to be sure Minnesota state leaders understood how genuine that likelihood was, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and Pittsburgh Steelers owner Art Rooney II, who chairs the league's stadium committee, flew to St. Paul to speak to them face to face.

Their message was clear.

"If you don't get this deal done, there are other viable markets that will come after your team," said a source with intimate knowledge of the meeting.

The primary market being Los Angeles, with a source confirming representatives from both the Anschutz Entertainment Group's downtown Farmers Field project and Ed Roski Jr.'s City of Industry proposal had approached the Vikings about moving to Los Angeles.

"With the conversations indicating if there is fallout, if (the Vikings stadium deal) doesn't get done or you're ready to throw in the towel, we're ready to sit down and talk to you about coming to Los Angeles," they said, according to the source.

Within hours after Goodell and Rooney's visit, the stalled debate was miraculously jump-started. Less than a month later, the Minnesota Legislature approved a final bill for a $975 million stadium in downtown Minneapolis.

And while the Vikings got their new state-of-the-art facility, the worst kept secret in the NFL was out in the open.

It's no longer a matter of if the NFL returns to Los Angeles for the first time since the Rams and Raiders left in 1995, but when.

With momentum growing almost every day.

"I'm more optimistic now than I have been in the last 12 years, since I've been on this thing," Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Wednesday at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey after his Cowboys beat the New York Giants to kick off the new season.

"I now see significant meat on the bones and significant people who can do things and are willing to do things. And it's clearly recognized what a great opportunity (Los Angeles) is for the league."

The NFL is taking notice at the highest levels, not only in words but in action.

Last July, the commissioner issued a league-wide memo laying out specific instructions for any team interested in re-locating to Los Angeles, making it clear any move would be a cooperative effort between his office and the team, while setting a Jan. 1 to Feb. 15 deadline for clubs to express intent to move in time for the 2013 season.

Then last month, Rooney predicted a team would be in place in Los Angeles within five years and possibly sooner - echoing the same feelings as Jones, who also sits on the NFL stadium committee - and did not rule out two teams eventually moving to L.A.

Meanwhile, league sources indicate it's a foregone conclusion the NFL will be back in Los Angeles sooner rather than later, the consensus being with a new collective bargaining agreement ensuring labor stability for the next 10 years and long-term television contracts in place, the league can now shift its focus back to L.A.

"Getting back to Los Angeles is a very, very high priority," said a high-ranking NFL official.

And one the league is growing more and more excited about.

"Stadium development in Los Angeles has advanced to the point where the prospects for a new facility are better than they have been in many years," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

So what is the holdup?

Well, with the NFL holding firm on maintaining the balance of a 32-team league with eight evenly split four-team divisions, adding one or two new teams through expansion is not an option at this point.

That means an existing team, or teams, must relocate here. Then there is the matter of Anschutz or Roski hammering out a deal with the club and NFL that makes sense for everyone involved.

And that is no easy task considering the millions and millions of dollars at stake.

"To be sure, there are hurdles to clear," said an NFL source, who made it clear he expects the NFL back in Los Angeles in the near future.

Or, as Jones put it bluntly this week: "It's going to take a bold financial commitment."

Identifying the possible teams might be the easiest part.

With the Vikings out of the picture, the three most likely clubs are the San Diego Chargers, St. Louis Rams and Oakland Raiders - with the Buffalo Bills and Jacksonville Jaguars lingering in the background.

The Chargers and Raiders have fought for years to get new stadiums built in their cities but have met with resistance from state leaders relative to public assistance. Neither is any closer today to getting a new stadium than when they began their fights more than a decade ago.

The Chargers have a three-month window each year from Feb. 1 to April 30 in which they can buy out their lease at Qualcomm Stadium - an escape clause that fits snugly with Goodell's relocation deadline and makes the Chargers the only team in position to move to L.A. for the 2013 season.

The Rams, meanwhile, have a clause that stipulates the Edward Jones Dome must be in the top quarter percent of NFL stadiums in 15 separate categories or they can terminate their lease at the end of the 2014 season.

The team and St. Louis officials vehemently disagree over how much money is needed to facilitate the necessary upgrades and have agreed to use a binding arbitrator to help close the gap, which is estimated at close to $600 million.

Depending on what the arbitrator rules - and the case is expected to run through the end of this year - the Rams could be a strong candidate to return to Los Angeles.

Their owner, Stan Kroenke, was among the bidders to buy the Dodgers, and insiders suggest he has strong interest in operating a team in the country's second-biggest market.

The Raiders are running a distant third, with league sources indicating the NFL is so mindful of putting a fail-safe team in place in Los Angeles they might block any attempt by the Raiders to move to L.A.

The equally significant issue is negotiating a deal that mutually benefits the stadium developers, the team and the NFL.

And while Aiello said the league wants back in Los Angeles as soon as possible, he also stressed: "Only under conditions in which we can be successful."

The actual stadium issue is nearing completion, with the City of Industry project cleared for construction and Farmers Field, which has already secured a $700 million naming rights deal, on target for complete clearance by the end of the month.

Albeit with two different business models.

Under AEG's proposal, Anschutz will foot the entire $1.3 billion to build the stadium while asking to buy part or all of the relocating team. For a template, consider the deal AEG made with the Lakers when Staples Center opened in which Anschutz bought a 25 percent stake in the Lakers and the majority ownership it has in the Kings.

Roski, on the other hand, is reportedly offering the 600 acres he owns 22 miles east of Los Angeles to any team interested in moving there, although the team would then have to pay for the stadium itself with Roski purchasing a piece of the team.

Both groups stress they are keeping all options open and that there is enough mutual motivation to bring football back to Los Angeles a suitable deal benefiting both sides will be negotiated.

With the league intent on returning to Southern California, multiple teams in desperate need of upgraded facilities and two stadium proposals in place, Los Angeles is as well positioned as ever to get pro football back.

"I'm convinced our fans out there will soon, relatively soon, have an NFL football team," Jones said.
The Rams are the front runners but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if both the Rams and Chargers move back to Los Angeles.

Derek Sep 13, 2012 6:16 AM

You're proving my point. There's a whole lot of talk but no action. Every few months, an article comes out listing the potential teams that could move to Los Angeles and how the construction of the stadiums will start (insert arbitrary date here), then as that date comes close there's yet another "setback".

BrandonJXN Sep 13, 2012 3:51 PM

Which is saying that San Diego is doing a whole lot to keep the Chargers? Notsomuch. The Rams and Chargers both have strong chances of coming back (with the Rams leading).

HurricaneHugo Sep 14, 2012 12:23 AM

Like I've said all along, the Chargers will put a ballot initiative at some point which the city will vote on.

If it fails then bye Chargers.

But Alex Spanos will give the city a chance to vote on it at the very least.

spoonman Sep 19, 2012 1:42 AM

Does anyone have pictures of Ariel Suites, the completed library, or any other towers/development?

staplesla Sep 21, 2012 12:19 AM

Convention center project takes leap forward

San Diego Port Commissioners gave their blessing Wednesday to the long-planned convention center expansion, approving its voluminous environmental impact report and formalizing their commitment to contribute $60 million toward the project.

While Wednesday’s action marks a significant milestone for the expansion, major hurdles remain, including a hearing before the California Coastal Commission expected early next year.

Also in limbo is the legality of a hotel room tax that would finance the bulk of the $520 million project. Organized labor has filed suit over the levy, and the San Diego City Attorney’s office is seeking validation from a court on whether the tax approved in April by the city’s hoteliers is in fact legal. No hearing date has been set.

Although city boosters would like to see the expanded center open by 2016, it's more likely to happen in 2017, if it survives all of its legal challenges.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...or-step-forwa/

http://media.utsandiego.com/img/phot...e0b2d025cf5799

SDfan Sep 22, 2012 5:15 PM

Yay for my hometown! Two mid-rises going up in downtown Oside. One is 64ft tall at 5 floors, and the other 79ft with 7 floors. Renderings at the links.

Quote:

OCEANSIDE: Downtown hotel construction due to start in October
http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/oc...ee9d204f9.html

OCEANSIDE: Downtown hotel plan revived, redesigned
http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/oc...5d25d86cc.html

Leo the Dog Sep 23, 2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 5840797)
Yay for my hometown! Two mid-rises going up in downtown Oside. One is 64ft tall at 5 floors, and the other 79ft with 7 floors. Renderings at the links.

Impressive developments in Oceanside. :tup:

mello Sep 26, 2012 8:56 PM

Yep Oside is coming up huge yo! Its going to be like our Santa Monica, or maybe like our Long Beach too hard to tell right now. Hmm maybe Encinitas is our Santa Monica lol.

So big question for everyone. I thought work had started on the embarcadero project and I was down by the County building 10 days ago and I saw..... Nothing going on. What is being done? Weren't the parks adjacent to the County building supposed to be done in 2008? I see no earth being moved so what is the deal. It looks so tired down there what a disgraceful waterfront :yuck:

staplesla Sep 26, 2012 11:05 PM

Groundbreaking held for waterfront park next to County Administration Building

A groundbreaking ceremony was held Tuesday for a long-awaited waterfront park next to the County Administration Building.

"Now is the time to turn this property -- which is owned by the citizens of San Diego -- to turn this into the type of public space that can be found in the great cities not only of this country, but the great cities of the world," said Ron Roberts, chairman of the county Board of Supervisors, who turned over the first shovels of dirt to mark the start of construction.

The park, expected to cost more than $40 million to establish, was included in the plans for the county's main office completed in 1930s. The project was first proposed in 1908, but was never built. The idea was revived about a decade ago.

http://www.10news.com/news/groundbre...ation-building

HurricaneHugo Sep 27, 2012 2:33 AM

13th and Market is beginning to rise!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-d...373/2012-09-26

SDfan Sep 27, 2012 4:29 AM

Here's an outsiders perspective of San Diego development timelines... Gotta love the LA Times.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep...-park-20120922

Quote:

New San Diego park was 35 years in the making
Lloyd and Ilse Ruocco set aside funding for the park in 1977, but it took 35 years for the project to come to fruition.
SAN DIEGO — Architect Lloyd Ruocco and his wife, Ilse, an art professor at San Diego State, had a dream for their adopted city: a downtown park to incorporate their vision of "thoughtful urbanism."

In 1977 the couple established a trust fund to pay for such a park.

Last week, 35 years after the Ruoccos provided the money and, they hoped, the inspiration to get the project moving, a group of civic leaders gathered for a celebratory ribbon-cutting for Ruocco Park, 3.3 acres of people-friendly greenery at Harbor Boulevard and Pacific Highway.

Yes, 35 years.

SDfan Sep 27, 2012 4:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 5846228)
13th and Market is beginning to rise!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-d...373/2012-09-26

These are the kind of projects I would love to see in Oceanside, Escondido, El Cajon, and National City.

Not necessarily on Market downtown, however...

kpexpress Sep 27, 2012 5:11 AM

I have a meeting tomorrow Civic San Diego to discuss two projects that will go before Predesign next week....from what I've heard they're pretty terrible, otherwise I suspect I wouldn't be asked to come in ahead of time to discuss the concerns.

SDfan Sep 27, 2012 5:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5846379)
I have a meeting tomorrow Civic San Diego to discuss two projects that will go before Predesign next week....from what I've heard they're pretty terrible, otherwise I suspect I wouldn't be asked to come in ahead of time to discuss the concerns.

PLEASE keep us up to date on this!

kpexpress Sep 28, 2012 6:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 5846382)
PLEASE keep us up to date on this!

Come to the meeting on Tuesday, let's meet up everyone.

SDfan Sep 30, 2012 4:32 PM

What time is the meeting on Tuesday?