SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

JHikka Sep 16, 2021 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9397969)
Nice to see CBC TV getting back into sports. (Assuming this is the main broadcast network.)

In the article...

Quote:

In addition to being broadcast on CBC TV, all six games will also be available via CBCSports.ca, the CBC Sports app and the free CBC Gem streaming service. Beginning in November, CBC Gem, CBCSports.ca and the CBC Sports app will offer live streaming coverage of one CHL game per week through the end of the regular season. The schedule for these games will be confirmed in the coming weeks.

esquire Sep 16, 2021 3:45 PM

Nice to see, but why only 6 games at the start of the season? Seems like a bit of a tease. Although I am curious to see what the TSN CHL schedule will look like... even though the team is amazing, I can pretty much guarantee that they won't be doing any Winnipeg ICE home games due to the shortcomings of our sad little arena.

EDIT: I didn't realize or just forgot that CBC will be streaming a game a week after the initial six game spread as JHikka posted. At least that's something. Isn't TSN doing a game a week too? If so, that's a decent amount of CHL coverage.

esquire Sep 16, 2021 3:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9397969)
Nice to see CBC TV getting back into sports. (Assuming this is the main broadcast network.)

This is arguably the kind of thing that CBC should be picking up when it comes to sports. The major pro leagues already get a lot of coverage on TSN/SN, but there are other leagues of interest to Canadians which barely get any national coverage at all. The CHL is probably at the top of that list. University sports should probably be up there too, in addition to the other stuff that CBC is already doing.

JHikka Sep 16, 2021 3:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9397979)
Although I am curious to see what the TSN CHL schedule will look like... even though the team is amazing, I can pretty much guarantee that they won't be doing any Winnipeg ICE home games due to the shortcomings of our sad little arena.

Keen eyes will note that each of the hosting arenas for the CBC games are suitable enough to get broadcast cameras into. Not all CHL arenas are equipped for this, including presumably the Winnipeg arena.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9397979)
EDIT: I didn't realize or just forgot that CBC will be streaming a game a week after the initial six game spread as JHikka posted. At least that's something. Isn't TSN doing a game a week too? If so, that's a decent amount of CHL coverage.

Presumably, although it remains to be seen. One would think they would show games in the leadup to the U20s at Christmas to build players and brand recognition (SN didn't start with CHL games until the new year in past seasons to avoid buffering TSN's U20 coverage).

If I were to guess i'd say TSN would aim for a midweek game. TSN has NFL on Sundays throughout the fall and they'd be going head-to-head against the NHL on SN on Wednesdays and Saturdays. So maybe Thursdays for CHL on TSN. The CBC games are Saturday afternoons, so that window is likely out for TSN, too.

Acajack Sep 16, 2021 8:08 PM

Meanwhile I believe the CBC's French network has ZERO sports with no plans AFAIK to put any more on the air.

They do run pretty good Olympic coverage just like the English CBC does. So they will be doing that next winter.

Though I do wonder what all those people are doing in between Olympics.

Denscity Sep 16, 2021 10:42 PM

Zero BC content. Are the Vancouver and Victoria markets too small? Are Kelowna and Kamloops no longer rivals?

Djeffery Sep 16, 2021 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9397049)
I would agree, I think between health concerns and economic difficulties for some, we will see empty seats to varying degrees in all Canadian markets except possibly Toronto. Now that will mean very different things depending on the city... maybe in Montreal it might be a couple hundred unsold seats, in Vancouver it might mean a couple thousand unsold seats, while the Sens might be playing in front of 8,000.

Ontario still hasn't approved anything higher than 1000, and I think Montreal already said they were going to be at 7500 or 8500 or something like that, to start off anyway.

esquire Sep 17, 2021 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9398461)
Zero BC content. Are the Vancouver and Victoria markets too small? Are Kelowna and Kamloops no longer rivals?

Well... it's only two games so somebody had to get the shaft. If it's any consolation, neither of the Manitoba teams are being featured on CBC either.

The selection of WHL teams is not surprising... Connor Bedard of the Regina Pats is the best known WHL player so you knew his team would be included, the other game has one of the biggest WHL markets, Calgary.

JHikka Sep 17, 2021 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9398461)

Aside from what esquire pointed out, these are only the first six games of their slate. Pitchforks down, etc.

jonny24 Sep 17, 2021 12:09 PM

"Following an unprecedented span of 867 days between live matches in Toronto, the Toronto Arrows are pleased to announce that the long wait for live, in-person Arrows rugby in the club’s home city will soon be coming to an end.

On Oct. 16, 2021, the Arrows will host the club’s inaugural Rugby Rally event at York Lions Stadium, marking the team’s first match in Toronto since defeating Rugby United New York on June 2, 2019 … "

https://torontoarrows.com/news/rugby...-announcement/

I am SO excited for this. Even if we're missing some of the overseas guys, it's just been WAY too damn long since we got to se them. Already planning the tailgate :cheers:

JHikka Sep 20, 2021 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9397985)
University sports should probably be up there too, in addition to the other stuff that CBC is already doing.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/cbc-sports...ship-1.6180936

CBC Sports to broadcast all U Sports national championships
CBC Sports · Posted: Sep 20, 2021 1:00 PM ET
Multi-year deal highlighted by return of Vanier Cup in December on CBC-TV

Every U Sports national championship is set to be broadcast on CBC Sports.

The sides announced a four-year agreement on Monday, which includes the English-language broadcast 2021 Vanier Cup exclusively on CBC-TV.

Digital coverage will be available for all championships on CBCSports.ca, the CBC Sports app and the free CBC Gem streaming service.

"These U SPORTS championship events offer the opportunity for audiences to see some of the top high-performance athletes in the country in action on a national stage," said Chris Wilson, the executive director of CBC Sports and CBC Olympics.

The national championships each year will be evenly split between men's and women's sports, which Wilson says further cements CBC Sports' commitment to gender equality.

CBC Sports carried six national championships live in the 2019-20 season.

Schedule
Fall sports
Women's rugby, Nov. 10-14
Women's field hockey, Nov. 11-14
Men's soccer, Nov. 18-21
Women's soccer, Nov. 18-21
Men's and women's cross-country, Nov. 20
Vanier Cup, Dec. 4

Winter sports
Men's and women's wrestling, Feb. 25-26
Men's and women's swimming, Feb. 25-27
Men's and women's track and field, Mar. 10-12
Women's basketball, Mar. 10-13
Men's basketball, Mar. 11-13
Men's and women's curling, Mar. 15-19
Men's hockey, Mar. 17-20
Women's hockey, Mar. 24-27
Men's volleyball, Mar. 25-27
Women's volleyball, Mar. 25-27

Acajack Sep 20, 2021 5:54 PM

Nice to see the CBC getting more serious about doing its job.

HomeInMyShoes Sep 20, 2021 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9398571)
Well... it's only two games so somebody had to get the shaft. If it's any consolation, neither of the Manitoba teams are being featured on CBC either.

The selection of WHL teams is not surprising... Connor Bedard of the Regina Pats is the best known WHL player so you knew his team would be included, the other game has one of the biggest WHL markets, Calgary.

Connor who? All we're talking about is Cole Carrier who scored a hat trick of short-handed goals against Prince Albert in the preseason here. :haha:

VANRIDERFAN Sep 20, 2021 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9401713)
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/cbc-sports...ship-1.6180936

CBC Sports to broadcast all U Sports national championships
CBC Sports · Posted: Sep 20, 2021 1:00 PM ET
Multi-year deal highlighted by return of Vanier Cup in December on CBC-TV

Every U Sports national championship is set to be broadcast on CBC Sports.

The sides announced a four-year agreement on Monday, which includes the English-language broadcast 2021 Vanier Cup exclusively on CBC-TV.

Digital coverage will be available for all championships on CBCSports.ca, the CBC Sports app and the free CBC Gem streaming service.

"These U SPORTS championship events offer the opportunity for audiences to see some of the top high-performance athletes in the country in action on a national stage," said Chris Wilson, the executive director of CBC Sports and CBC Olympics.

The national championships each year will be evenly split between men's and women's sports, which Wilson says further cements CBC Sports' commitment to gender equality.

CBC Sports carried six national championships live in the 2019-20 season.

Good to see, since Sportsnet did such a crappy job and TSN is even worse.

Now if they could broadcast regular season games as well.

esquire Sep 20, 2021 6:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 9401736)
Good to see, since Sportsnet did such a crappy job and TSN is even worse.

Now if they could broadcast regular season games as well.

This is great news. The CBC is not the greatest at building buzz but you know at least they'll do it properly when it comes to their coverage.

I am looking forward to the hockey and football championships for sure, I would watch basketball and volleyball too if one of the local teams was in it.

MonctonRad Sep 20, 2021 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9401717)
Nice to see the CBC getting more serious about doing its job.

Indeed. This is what CBC is designed to do. :tup:

Jammon Sep 20, 2021 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 9401771)
Indeed. This is what CBC is designed to do. :tup:

I agree. I have a friend who works for CBC in program development (for a lack of better words) and he quite simply said that CBC needs to stick to Canadian programming and quit looking for the next Schitt's Creek.

thurmas Sep 25, 2021 2:39 PM

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/cfl-...p-from-week-6/

Here are the official numbers provided by TSN and BellMedia for Week’s 7 CFL games;

WEEK 7 CFL ON TSN TV RATINGS
– The CFL ON TSN Week 7 games attracted an average audience of 566,000 viewers on TSN, an increase of +29% compared to Week 7 in 2019

– Overall, the 2021 CFL ON TSN season has attracted an average audience of 551,000 viewers, an increase of +14% compared to the same point in the 2019 season

– The Toronto / Saskatchewan game on Friday night was the most-watched game of the week, averaging 684,000 viewers

– Below are the average audiences for CFL ON TSN games this past weekend:

Friday, 9/17: Calgary / Hamilton averaged 496,000 viewers

Friday, 9/17: Toronto / Saskatchewan averaged 684,000 viewers

Saturday, 9/18: BC / Montreal averaged 465,000 viewers

Saturday, 9/18: Winnipeg / Edmonton averaged 593,000 viewers

JHikka Sep 27, 2021 7:02 PM

https://prsevens.com/tsn-partners-wi...ers-october-9/

TSN PARTNERS WITH PREMIER RUGBY SEVENS TO DELIVER INAUGURAL GAMES FOR CANADIAN VIEWERS, OCTOBER 9

(TORONTO, Sept. 27, 2021) Premier Rugby Sevens (PR7s), the all-new professional rugby league making its debut with top North American men’s and women’s players on Saturday, Oct. 9, announced today that TSN is the league’s official Canadian television broadcast partner. The league’s launch event, dubbed The PR7s Inaugural Championship, includes nine Canadian players and two Canadian coaches. The inaugural men’s and women’s tournaments are available to TSN and TSN Direct subscribers in Canada on Saturday, Oct. 9 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET on TSN.ca and the TSN app, and from 4 – 6 p.m. ET on TSN4.

Premier Rugby Sevens (PR7s) is a groundbreaking professional sports league in North America. Scheduled to debut in the Fall of 2021, PR7s is the first league of its kind with both women’s teams and men’s teams under one umbrella with equal pay. With a focus on accessibility and entertaining content for fans, the league will showcase the electrifying sport of rugby sevens through a single-day touring format in cities across the United States and Canada. The PR7s Inaugural Championship will take place in Memphis on Oct. 9 and will be available via FOX Sports. To learn more about Premier Rugby Sevens, go to PRSevens.com and follow the league on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Denscity Sep 27, 2021 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9398583)
Aside from what esquire pointed out, these are only the first six games of their slate. Pitchforks down, etc.

I would assume Vancouver vs Victoria would draw more people than Saint John and Drummondville? And I would think 5 million people in BC would get us something to start.