SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great Canadian Sports Attendance, Marketing and TV Ratings Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228928)

thurmas Sep 10, 2021 12:44 AM

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/cfl-...nd-tv-ratings/
  • The Week 5 slate of games on TSN averaged 563,250 viewers. For the season, the CFL is averaging 532,263 viewers per game.
  • Friday September 3rd’s Montreal Alouettes/Ottawa Redblacks game averaged 256,000 viewers. The lowest rated CFL game of the season, to this point. (Week 1, Toronto-Calgary: 318,400)
  • Sunday’s Winnipeg Blue Bombers/Saskatchewan Roughriders game was a smashing success, averaging 980,000 viewers. The telecast was the highest rated game of the CFL season, besting the week one clash between BC and Saskatchewan, which drew 764,000 viewers.
  • Monday afternoon’s LDC clash between eastern rivals, the Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats averaged 436,000 viewers.
  • The second half of the LDC doublehader, which saw the Edmonton Elks best the Calgary Stampeders 32-20 in the battle of Alberta, averaged 581,000 viewers.

jonny24 Sep 10, 2021 2:13 PM

Strong start for the CFL on TV. Let's hope they can keep it up through this year and onwards!

samne Sep 10, 2021 2:51 PM

Glad to see those Formula numbers. I was a casual F1 fan until I started watching Drive to Survive on Netflix. Now I’m hooked! Like the European soccer, love watching with a coffee the qualis and racing weekend mornings.

The production and access to the teams is amazing. I believe they turned it up a level since a US entertainment company bought F1.

thebasketballgeek Sep 10, 2021 4:24 PM

Bombers get their first sellout with the banjo bowl. Hopefully attendance for Winnipeg can average out to 28-30k by the end of the year.

JHikka Sep 10, 2021 7:04 PM

Crowded night up against the Federal debate:

Sept 9
Jays/Yankees: 969,000 (SN)
Bucs/Cowboys: 790,000 (TSN/CTV2)
US Open: 534,000 (TSN)

Debate:

CTV/CP24/BNN/CTVNC: 1.01M
CBC/CBCNC: 963k
Global: 538k

https://twitter.com/AHBSeaborn/statu...04698383269889

Acajack Sep 10, 2021 7:09 PM

I am surprised the tennis is that low.

Though I am positive the numbers on RDS were really good.

A few years ago when Bianca Andreescu was in the US Open, her semi-final got 350,000 and her final got 750,000 on RDS.

And she isn't from Quebec. My guess is that last night the semi-final probably topped the 350,000 figure on RDS fairly easily.

Acajack Sep 10, 2021 7:12 PM

And BTW... Go Félix! :cheers:

elly63 Sep 10, 2021 8:47 PM

Honestly wonder about these numbers sometimes, I think it was Genie Bouchard's number at the US Open that surprised me at how low it was. I'm going on memory and may have this all wrong but it was well publicized, it should have been better. In today's market it would be great but this was back in 2014.

I looked it up: Bouchard's final loss to Petra Kvitova averaged 1.1 million on TSN, a number that would have been substantially higher had it gone more than two sets. It drew an average of 1.8 million when French-language RDS's ratings are thrown in -- a record for tennis in this country. Making those numbers even more impressive is the fact that Saturday at 9 a.m. ET (6 a.m. on the West Coast) is hardly prime viewing time.

It's better than I remember but I guess I was expecting Olympic size numbers because of the buildup.

Also wonder why Ottawa RedBlacks numbers are so low and have been since the beginning. They have an engaged fan base, they've never been a boring team and they found success quickly.

I know at one time Ottawa was not a metered market but I'm pretty sure they have been for a while now. Maybe, similar to TFC, all their fans are in the stadium.

JHikka Sep 13, 2021 5:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9392746)
I am surprised the tennis is that low.

1.174M for TSN women's final on Saturday. Add on whatever we think for RDS and it's probably equivalent to Bouchard Wimbledon 2014. Bouchard's final was at 9AM versus Fernandez' at 4PM.

Acajack Sep 13, 2021 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9394884)
1.174M for TSN women's final on Saturday. Add on whatever we think for RDS and it's probably equivalent to Bouchard Wimbledon 2014. Bouchard's final was at 9AM versus Fernandez' at 4PM.

As I mentioned Bianca's final drew 750,000 on RDS in 2019, so I suspect that given Leyla's Montreal roots and the better time slot it may have been close to 1 million viewers on RDS.

There was a tremendous buzz about Leyla here Saturday afternoon and social media was almost as active as a Habs playoff game.

We went to some friends for dinner that evening and when we got there our hosts (not known for being tennis fans) were watching the match on TV.

Acajack Sep 13, 2021 6:20 PM

For those who can read French here is an article from La Presse published earlier this summer about NHL TV ratings.

https://www.lapresse.ca/affaires/202...re-au-pays.php

Most interesting to me is that the Ottawa Senators get higher ratings in French than in English.

elly63 Sep 13, 2021 6:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9394926)
Most interesting to me is that the Ottawa Senators get higher ratings in French than in English.

Which is something I had thought about in regards to the Redblacks. Earlier, there was an Ottawa/Montreal game that wasn't rated all that well but it didn't include RDS which could have approached the TSN number thus doubling it. All conjecture of course.

Acajack Sep 13, 2021 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9394945)
Which is something I had thought about in regards to the Redblacks. Earlier, there was an Ottawa/Montreal game that wasn't rated all that well but it didn't include RDS which could have approached the TSN number thus doubling it. All conjecture of course.

RDS ratings for Alouettes regular season games are pretty consistently in the 200-250 k range.

So when the Redblacks are the Als' opponent there is definitely that boost, though RDS ratings for Reblacks-Argos, Redblacks-Elks are obviously considerably lower.

Acajack Sep 13, 2021 6:39 PM

RDS CFL ratings are in another league when the Alouettes are playing, compared with any other CFL games they show.

Even Grey-Cup-with-Alouettes vs. Grey-Cup-without-Alouettes is a ten-fold difference.

Think 1 to 1.5 million vs. 150,000.

esquire Sep 13, 2021 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9394918)
As I mentioned Bianca's final drew 750,000 on RDS in 2019, so I suspect that given Leyla's Montreal roots and the better time slot it may have been close to 1 million viewers on RDS.

There was a tremendous buzz about Leyla here Saturday afternoon and social media was almost as active as a Habs playoff game.

We went to some friends for dinner that evening and when we got there our hosts (not known for being tennis fans) were watching the match on TV.

Even in Winnipeg there was a fair bit of interest in the US Open. I wouldn't say it was Jets playoff game levels of chatter but definitely way more interest than any other tennis event in recent times.

It is interesting to me how many people come out of the woodwork for these types of major tennis events given that I only know of a few people who play regularly and only one couple who are dedicated tennis fans to the extent that they travel to watch the major tournaments around the world, etc.

Acajack Sep 13, 2021 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9394976)
Even in Winnipeg there was a fair bit of interest in the US Open. I wouldn't say it was Jets playoff game levels of chatter but definitely way more interest than any other tennis event in recent times.

It is interesting to me how many people come out of the woodwork for these types of major tennis events given that I only know of a few people who play regularly and only one couple who are dedicated tennis fans to the extent that they travel to watch the major tournaments around the world, etc.

It's actually a pretty compelling sport to watch.

There is just something about a hard-fought one-on-one duel. (And one that is less barbaric than boxing or UFC.)

JHikka Sep 13, 2021 7:18 PM

Quote:

It's one of those under-the-radar sports that definitely has a bigger audience than many think. Same with something like F1...lots of fans floating around, they just don't make themselves as known as other sports because there's fewer events in general.

Tennis has a couple of good events throughout Canada aside from the Rogers Cup in Montreal and Toronto. I think there are good level tennis Challenger events in Vancouver and Gatineau each year among others. Looking forward to having the Davis and Fed Cups again given our national strength at this stage.

elly63 Sep 13, 2021 7:28 PM

Quote:

I would have to count myself on the bandwagon jumper group. Even though I was a big tennis player as a young kid and played a fair amount in university, aside from a period as a kid I never really followed it closely. Does the name Tom Okker ring a bell to anyone? Tennis was on TV a fair amount in the 70s

I guess later I only followed the big name, big game events. Borg/MacEnroe at Wimbledon, Jimmy Connors etc.

Now, the only tennis I'll watch is if a Canadian makes it to a final and I didn't even bother to watch Fernandez this time.

All this got me to thinkin'. I always wanted a pair of classic Stan Smiths and they have somehow eluded me, time to pay Amazon a visit.

Acajack Sep 14, 2021 10:23 AM

ATP and WTA tennis (similarly to F1) also has an international jet set aura about it that appeals to a lot of people.

Proof Sheet Sep 14, 2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9394992)
I would have to count myself on the bandwagon jumper group. Even though I was a big tennis player as a young kid and played a fair amount in university, aside from a period as a kid I never really followed it closely. Does the name Tom Okker ring a bell to anyone? Tennis was on TV a fair amount in the 70s

I guess later I only followed the big name, big game events. Borg/MacEnroe at Wimbledon, Jimmy Connors etc.

Now, the only tennis I'll watch is if a Canadian makes it to a final and I didn't even bother to watch Fernandez this time.

All this got me to thinkin'. I always wanted a pair of classic Stan Smiths and they have somehow eluded me, time to pay Amazon a visit.

I've seen 'Stan Smiths' at an Adidas outlet store. Wow..that takes me back.